Help me justify a DMMTT1100

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by leighianson, Jun 1, 2015.

1. leighianson

leighianson Supporting Member

I'm currently on a bit of a delay kick. I was able to score an ad900 to pair in stereo with my ad999 which I'm quite excited about.

I also have a Rocketride first echo on the moon which is a bjf modded DMMXO, and while I love the sound it is quite noisy.

So I've been looking at the TT1100's, mainly due to this place, and wondering if the repeats are as noisy as the XO's, I know that all BBD type delays will have some white noise but the amount in my Rocketride is pretty annoying. The 1100 is a lot of money and I want to make sure it's fairly quiet. Thanks

2. Telecasteur

Telecasteur Member

Are you sure you need that much delay time? Aren't the 550TTs still for sale?

3. lv

lv Supporting Member

I've owned the three you mention as well as the dmmtt1100. My 1100 was pretty quiet for an analog delay, quieter than the feotm but not as quiet as the maxons, though they roll off more treble than the 1100.

4. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I had a dmmtt1100. Pretty much dead silent and loud repeats. That being said I prefer my Maxon AD-900 w 3005s in it. Sits in the mix better, imo. The dmmtt1100 is the ultimate 3005 based delay in terms of features and sounds incredible. I sold it to help fund an amp. Try it out and if you don't like it you'll probably get your money back out of it

5. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

there is some white noise with the TT1100 at longer delay times. a sort of soft whooshing noise.... but it doesn't bother me at all. in fact I kinda like it!
    it's not picked up on recordings though (or on stage).

6. Crowyote

Crowyote Member

I would disagree, the "whooshing" can be very noticeable especially when you don't play on top of the delay, and if you plug the delay in front of an amp.

The TT1100 is a great idea, and has an amazing feature set. It just lacks a filter . .. put a Moog MF-101 after it and it may be just as good if not better than the Moog Delays. I never tried that while I owned it.

If your amp has a parallel effects loop that may help supress the long delay noise. The short delays have the best sound of any analog delay I've yet to try, but not as good as a tape delay. For the money, get a Fulltone SSTE imo.

7. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

is there a video demoing the difference between the 550 and the 1100? is the length of time the only difference?

8. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

I don't think they are worth the current asking price.

9. Hairpin Turns

Hairpin Turns Member

Not a good choice if you want a quiet delay at longer repeat times. On mine, there is noise (the whooshing sound coldacre mentions) at around 600-700 ms and longer. As it's a bright analog delay, of course there will be more noise than delays with rolled-off highs.

IMO the reason to own the DMMTT-1100 is the functionality as you can do a lot of cool stuff between the loop, tap, and the expression parameters that you can't do with most analog delays. The long repeats are great as long as you're ok with more lofi type of repeats. I also wouldn't pay what they're going for now, but chances are you could sell it and make your money back.

10. AtomicBlaze

AtomicBlaze Member

I have the 550 and 1100 , they sound almost identical to me when they are setup at the same delay time. I wouldn't be able to tell them apart in a blind test.

1198SP likes this.
  11. Sentenced

Sentenced Member

The same with XO, the same with big box.

However, TGP cork sniffers will ensure you that you are totally wrong.

12. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

I cant help justify it because the pedal is overpriced in my opinion at the moment. It might be worth it now if you buy, test drive it and sell quickly. I know the chips are rare but $800 and up rare is not for me. Especially with the SSTE on the horizon.

13. earwax

earwax Member

I love the DMMTT 1100. Mine is very quiet. It has more noise than a digital delay but it is the quietest analog delay I have ever heard and it sounds great.

14. lv

lv Supporting Member

Yea, for that kinda money I would get the sste as well.

15. AtomicBlaze

AtomicBlaze Member

I think it is worth the money if you can afford it, it should hold its value unless they start making the chips again. It probably is a better investment then most pedals because it has the potential to actually go up in value rather than down.

16. BigDiceBuddha

BigDiceBuddha Member

Tough to justify... I was on the fence when I was offered one for $700, and this was right at the start of when they started to trickle out.

But ultimately, I went for it based on the fact that I had wanted to try one, and they NEVER came up for sale. And when they did, they were anywhere from $700 to $1000.

According to emails responses people have gotten from EHX, they were able to produce about 100 more. That's what we are seeing now. When they're gone, they're gone.

I guess if you ever wanted to try one, now would be the time, but it will cost you. I'd try to be patient and snag one in the $600-$700 range. They have popped up occasionally over the past two weeks. I don't think I could justify one for over $800.

17. jm9239

jm9239 Member

I personally think the DMM TT1100 is overpriced and went with a Moog MF-104M instead.

18. Sparkfriction

Sparkfriction Member

how much does a fulltone tape echo unit cost?

19. BigDiceBuddha

BigDiceBuddha Member

Now that the Moog is discontinued, when they start selling for $800 plus, would it be worth it?

20. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

thanks so much!!