Help me KILL 60 cycle hum!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Kinghat Guitars, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Kinghat Guitars

Kinghat Guitars Member

I have been fighting a Warmoth Jazzmaster that I built two years ago since it was first assembled. I first installed Antiquity IIs, and liked them. But the 60 cycle hum was bad, more than acceptable. I know single coil hum is something you just have to deal with, but this is horrible. I changed out to potted Lollars thinking that would help. Added RS superpots. The tone is great, but something must be done about the noise issue, or I am just going to install humbuckers (which I don't want to do). Is there a power conditioning power-strip that would help? I have it wired correctly, and copper shielded in cavity. Help!! Any ideas? How do you guys combat the hum?

2. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

How do you guys combat the hum?

Whistle....:roll

3. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Are you playing near a computer monitor or some unshielded speakers? Also neon signs seem to make this problem worse. Good luck.

dk

4. bynt

bynt Member

Amen. Also, I'm so in love with my Bill Lawrence pickups it's close to unatural. They are kick ass to my ears, blow the stock Fender pickups away, and are totally noiseless (stacked humbuckers). And cheap, too. I think I paid 125.00 for the three of them for my strat. Shipped. Give them a shot!!! I really think I would buy them even if they weren't noiseless. They don't sound like a Humbucker AT ALL.

5. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

i tried everything under the sun for my single coils - power conditioning, recapping amps, noise gate (worked but you must play within limitations of the gate) and so on. finally i just gave up and "settled" on a bucking pickup. Dimarzio Areas. But holey moley they don't sound like humbuckers at all, they still have that chime and bite of single coils! Don't think they have them in Jazzmaster style yet tho, just strat and tele.

6. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Noiseless pickups are the way to go with this issue. Having tried a handful of different ones, the Dimarzio Areas (I've found) are the best. Not dead on, but very natural. Give 'em a shot.

7. Secret Ingredient

Secret Ingredient Member

What about the Suhr silent single coil system? Oh, wait. I think that goes on a backplate. Never played a JM, do they have a backplate?

8. doublee

doublee Member

How about the Stew Mac shielding kit? You can also use shielding paint.

9. Douglas Baines

Douglas Baines Member

Not to be insulting at all, but is the copper shielding in your electronic cavities grounded?

10. brentrocks

brentrocks Guitar Hack/Player Gold Supporting Member

buy a EBMM w/ the silent circut (duck)

11. doublee

doublee Member

well, it WILL be, I am doing this in the next few days to a tele. There was a thread on this recently and people reported good/great results.

12. ScottR

ScottR Member

13. bastet

bastet Member

How are the Fender Samarium Cobalt Nosieless or Vintage Noiseless pick-ups? As far as truer single coil tone without hum?

14. rooster

rooster Member

That's my opinion as well. I use his pickups in all my gigging guitars, and sometime in the future, they will grace my old PRS as well so I can actually get some real tone out of it.

They are more-or-less "lesser" designs from Bill, not up to the standards of his current offerings, IMO, although many people like them very much.

rooster.

15. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

I have a number of single coil guitars and often the hum problem is minimal. Perhaps just lucky with some good housewiring.

16. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

Have you thought about split single coils? Seymour Duncan makes the Vintage Rail - which is a split single coil that sounds pretty darn spanky to me. I have them in my Charvel frankenstrat and my Steinberger in the middle PU position. Fralin also makes the P-92 split single coil that fits a humbucker sized rout. Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

The humbuckers on these two guitars have 3-way single-series (traditional humbucking)-parallel switches, and even though I fully shielded and grounded both these guitars, the single coil wiring positions have noise. Not like my P-90 LP Special DC (which is part of its rude charm), but still audible, and so I seldom if ever use the humbuckers in single coil wiring. I find the parallel humbucking setting is good for clean sounds - not as much high end as the single coil, but still nice with a hi-Q sheen and very quiet. Also more gain.

I have also noted that single coils love to pick up noise from fluorescent light fixtures. Especially the cheapo shop light units commonly found in homeowner-refinished basements.

17. Kinghat Guitars

Kinghat Guitars Member

Well, the guitar is a Jazzmaster, so if I decide to ditch the Lollar pickups I will just go with some WCR humbuckers or more Lollars, but a standard bucker size.

18. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I'm in a similar boat, but none of my guitars are as shielded as they should be... AND, I just realized the amp and computer based recording systems sit RIGHT in front of the junction box in my finished basement
    :nono
    I don't even have an amp right now (using guitar rig 2 until the next one comes in) but if the stuff continues to be super noisy w/o a noisegate in the chain (because I don't have one) then it's shielding time, moving the entire computer based operation, probably isolating the amp from the computer based rig in another room, etc...
    I have a set of Dimarzio area 61 - 61 - 54 on the way, I'm VERY interested to hear how they combat noise... they will be replacing the stock, original lace sensor red - silver - blue's in my James Burton Tele. Along with shielding, did you do the star config as well (can't find the link right now)? Looks like a PITA to me, but to each his own.

19. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Try pressing record, then turn off the monitor. You will notice the buzz goes away. At least it does for me. Sucks if you want to use chord charts you download on your computer!!!

dk

20. tremonti

tremonti Member

I 2nd the ISP Decimator Pro Rack G! Best $400 you can spend....I mean it is really amazing. The tone remains the same and no hum or hiss. Also the attck and tail are left alone. It auto senses for the switch to the clean channel too. TRUST ME...GET ONE!:AOK