• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Help me lay out my amp's controls

redeyedjim

Gold Supporting Member
I'm building an amp - nearly identical to this one - and am at a point where I could use some suggestions on the order of my controls.

To save some money, I'm re-using a 1x12 combo cab I already have as well as a pre-drilled chassis I picked up on Reverb. Things may be a bit tight, but I'll live with it.

This is the mockup, with the holes identified:

These are the features I want accessible from the front of the amp:

Placed:

✓ On/Off
✓ Power Lamp
✓ Input

Remaining to place:

Standby / Power Scaling (combined in a single switched pot)
Master Volume
Volume
Presence
Treble
Mids
Bass

---------------
Order:

A. On/Off
B. Power Lamp
C.
D.
E.
F.
G.
H.
I.
J. Input

Should I group all of the volume/power controls together? Should I keep the input volume near the input jack? Should I put the Presence control away from the TMB? Suggestion welcome!

Note: Hole C is just photoshopped in the above pic - it has not been drilled yet, but it is evenly spaced in the mock-up to match the other control holes to the right of it.

xtian

Gold Supporting Member
Lay out your circuit boards before jumping to control placement. The first will help with the second.

redeyedjim

Gold Supporting Member
This is the layout I'll be using:

I guess I'll just keep it. The power scaling is optional, something I'll be adding if the tone with the MV isn't sufficiently crunchy at lower volumes. If I keep this layout, I'll just omit the hole a mocked up in my first post - the one to the right of the lamp hole - and will add it and put the power scaling there if it's necessary.

That gives me this order:

A. On/Off
B. Power Lamp
C. (Standby / Power Scaling)*
D. Master
E. Presence
F. Bass
G. Mids
H. Treble
I. Volume
J. Input

*Optional/to be added later, if needed

So...I guess I'm done. Thanks, xtian. :)

Last edited:

tresspassor

Presence usually follows the tone and volume controls in a guitar amp. If you swap D and E then it will match the industry standard.

redeyedjim

Gold Supporting Member
Presence usually follows the tone and volume controls in a guitar amp. If you swap D and E then it will match the industry standard.
So, this...?

A. On/Off
B. Power Lamp
C. (Standby / Power Scaling)*
D. Presence
E. Master

F. Bass
G. Mids
H. Treble
I. Volume
J. Input

Trending Topics