Help me line out my Pedals..Please!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jryan, Jan 18, 2008.

1. jryan

jryan Member

Hi Guys,
    I'm trying to figure out the best confirguration for my fx pedals. I just got a new board and I'm anxious to get them all set up. I'm running a Washburn HB35 semihollow thru a Mesa Boogie MK I RI. I'd like to minimze tone suck as much as possible. Some of these pedals are cheapies, well..the one I consider the cheapest..DE-7 Delay, but it sounds good and I'm just using it to add some texture to solos, I just want to minimize tone suck. I just picked up a WOBO true bypass looper so I'm hoping to incorporate that to get around some tone suck. Any and all advice very welcome and appreciated. Heres what I got and what I'm thinking. Also, can anyone tell me where to find those cordless patch units, the ones that are just two inputs back to back you put between pedals?

Mesa Boogie MK I RI>

WOBO Looper>

Boss TU-2 Tuner>

DE-7 Delay> (back to looper)

Boss CH-1 Chorus>

Keeley Rat>

Wah> (to guitar)

Thanks for looking!

2. pgissi

pgissi Member

There are many posts on this lately so here is a short version and some say its all a matter of personal preference and yes it can be, but the real question would be is it right for you, so here goes-

Guitar
    TU-2 -buffering early on but some like it at the end
    Wah -for me the wah pre OD helps it retain clarity
    Rat -true bypass, have one myself
    Chorus-I like to hit a time domain pedal harder with od for more swirl
    Delay -at the end of the chain to treat the total sound
    Amp

I would use the looper for the chorus/delay mini chain since these along with the wah may be the biggest tone suckers. If the Wah is problematic move it post Rat and make the Loop Wah-Chorus-Delay. The Wah post Rat will give it more snarl for sure, harmonicaly more complex.

When the looper is bypassed all you will have in the chain is the TU-2 and Rat which is really nothing. Some would put the TU-2 in the loop and maybe you could try that and compare the TU-2 in these 3 locations-

1st position
    Loop position
    last position

I personally like buffering early on, find it colors my tone the least and helps my pickups retain their personality. Placing it last or later may or may not be tone affecting, the best thing is to try some combinations

While your at it, do some searches on the topic, there are volumes..just from me alone.:crazy

3. jcollins

jcollins Member

If the TU-2 is the pedal tuner boss makes I would definitely put that in the loop. It's a major tone sucker. I've had two and they both do the same
    thing. Also the rat is not true bypass.

4. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

First, the TU-2 is NOT a major tone sucker. Second, YES the Rat is true bypass.

5. jryan

jryan Member

Thanks Guys!

I find that the TU-2 is pretty much a tone sucker. And yes, the Keeley Rat is true bypass.

Thanks for the input guys...gots some experimenting to do tonight I recon!

6. RDM

RDM Senior Member

I think it depends on what gear you're using with the TU2. There was a recent thread I started about how my tone changed after moving the TU2 from first, to last in my chain. Major tone sucker? No....that's an MXR Phase 90. The TU2 CAN effect your tone. It rolled off lots of highs for me. After putting it dead last, it was like night and day for me......not a subtle change....but definetly VERY noticable. I think it's different with what guitar your using as well as other pedals.