Help me love fuzz! Advice needed from a fuzz n00b!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TooManyHobbies, May 29, 2008.

1. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

Okay, I need some fuzz. Been through owning some of the Devi Ever stuff which is just WAY too much for me. From what I've heard, I really love the Skreddy stuff. What I'd like is I think an option with both silicon and germanium, but can someone give me a quick "rundown" of the differences (like signature tracks or anything helpful.)

I know that there are a lot of fuzz junkies here.. so help make me a convert!

2. meterman

meterman Member

Germanium is fat, warm, cleans up great, medium gain. Silicon is brighter, higher gain, less clean up & more sizzle.

Fuzzfaces can be germ, silicon, or hybrid of both. Tonebenders are germanium and Big Muffs are silicon, both generally having more gain than a Fuzzface.

Retroman makes a fuzz called a Sybil that has one side Germ Fuzzface and one side Silicon Fuzzface, use either alone or blend both in series or parallel

The key to fuzz is to have your amp on the edge of breakup, then the fuzz will melt together with your amp. Fuzz into a clean amp can sound buzzy or ragged....also, particularly with a Fuzzface, lots of shades of grit and overdrive can be had by adjusting the guitar's volume control...

3. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

hmmm... i'm wondering if my Si fuzzface can be modded to use 1/2 silicon and 1/2 germanium...

4. Dave

Dave Member

:agree
    This is vital info. Anytime somebody says they don't like a fuzz I have to wonder if they're using it "correctly". There's some that will work into a clean amp (Skreddys sound good IMO), but most should be used like an OD to push an already cooking tube amp.

5. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

For new to fuzz person with some money, get Sybil and enjoy germ and Silly fuzz and mixes in between. Very musical and broad device. I personally use Germ for some things and Silly for others, but if I wanted an all-rounder, Sybil would be first choice. Great box.

DS

6. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

Wow.. good option. Now the next question is AC188 or NKT275.

7. steinwand

steinwand Member

my recommendation would be a Earthquaker Hoof.
    It is based on a old green Sovtek Big Muff but
    it is also a germanium/ silicon hybrid where you
    can 'blend' between the ge and si with the 'tone' knob.

8. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Get a monsterpiece. For the price of some boutique fuzz pedals Richard will build you two to three circuits in one custom enclosure. He hand builds them and they are the best wired pedals I have seen. They remind me of a vintage Hiwatt they are so clean!

I would get a NPN fuzz at least. The MKII style fuzz he makes is pretty sick as well. Early Hendrix tones with the Classic.

What kind of tones are you looking for? Spitty nasty fuzz? Wall of sound fuzz? Searing violin lead tone? Smooth warm fuzz with excellent volume control and dynamics? There are so many fuzz sounds!

dk

9. elicious

elicious Member

the Barber Trifecta is also a viable option, at just over half the price of the Sybil. :)

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Agreed, Devis' stuff is a little too high octane for someone just figuring out fuzz. Could I suggest, get ahold of a MI Audio G.I. Fuzz (Germanium) and a MI Audio Neo Fuzz (Silicon)?

Those two (if you only want one for now, I would suggest the Neo) have the MOST tweakability that also stays "nice" and not out in Devi (or Fuzz Factory) world...they can get wild, but not unintetionally, and the extra knobs that most fuzzes don't have (the lions share of fuzzes have volume, and fuzz controls) that help get tones, mid, input bias so it plays well with your guitar, and load...as well as other knobs and the traditional.

These fuzzes are relatively inexpensive, I find them available in most music stores where I am, and I have now an extensive collection of fuzzes, but those two are VERY nice to work with, get me ALL the sounds I love in many other fuzzes, and are a lot of fun to tweak, as well as I can set them and be sure I will get the sound I want.

11. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

Absolutely. Using germ for the clipping stage, silicon for the amp stage is the standard "hybrid" approach (McFuzz/Hellbilly, Huckleberry). The trick with the mod is knowing whether you're wired up PNP or NPN. That said, you could build the hybrid on a clone board, drop it in as a replacement and not worry about roaching a germ tranny on the original.

For the OP: first step, try to hear decent examples examples of the Fuzzface and Big Muff circuits in person, there's a big difference between the two. The Skreddys are, for the most part, high-quality customized versions of the Muff, which is traditionally all-silicon.

12. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

The Addrock fuzz boxes are fantastic. I thought nothing could be as sweet as the Geranium (Ge) but Addrock's Hism Scism (Si) is just an amazing fuzz. The Scism is smooth and sustainy but with more definition than most Si fuzzes I've tried. It's not a hi-gain fuzz for Si and cleans up better.

13. max_1975

max_1975 Member

I use Skreddy fuzzs (Pinkmour, PinkFlesh and Lunar Module) with a very clean sound from my Hiwatt and the results are great!

14. Wiz-ski

Wiz-ski Member

+1 on Monsterpiece

There's a pretty good appreciation thread on the HCF - go check it out

15. radcliff

radcliff Member

They really depend on your amp

get a brit style amp and youre love of fuzz will grow exponentially!

16. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

I kinda feel that analogman's sunfaces pretty much set the bar for fuzz (well, fuzzface type fuzz anyway). They're the ones - both the NKT275 and BC108 - against which all others eventually get compared. They sound great and they're reliable. All the other makers add flavours, some subtle some not, but I really think these two are good benchmarks for comparisons and a great place to start.

That said, I have a bunch of D*A*Ms on the way, and would love a BJFE pink purple fuzz!

Also not letting my Fulltone 69 out of my sight.