Help me love my guitar again

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JohnSword, May 12, 2019.

1. Zounds Perspex

Zounds Perspex Silver Supporting Member

If you have not already done so, you will likely find that changing out the pots and caps will let you use your volume and tone controls a lot more,
    and get some sounds from your SG you haven't found yet.

I'm not a big fan of the stock SG Standard pickups, but before you swap pickups,
    it's always a good idea to try adjusting the height of the pickup - sometimes just lowering a pickup that seems too hot or harsh can work wonders.

JohnSword likes this.
  2. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Attitude change, Mary Ford and Les Paul.
    [​IMG]

Lower the pickups until they nearly fall off the elevator screws (level with the trim rings/pickguard) and raise the screw poles 1/8 to 1/4 inch, on the neck set them in a Strat stagger pattern, on the bridge keep them level to each other. The tone will change and you'll find you like the new things you can do with the guitar.

You can get some fun pickups for under $20/set off ebay and that's a good way to experiment with humbucker-shaped P90s or whatever. Swap pots and caps to push the tone around. If you go any of this direction, be sure to save in a box the wiring harness and pickups intact so later when you miss the old tones you can swap back. I once scattered parts on a series of small changes, a pot here a cap there over months, and then couldn't get back.

[​IMG]
    Elvis with the 'Les Paul' before it was called the SG.

JohnSword likes this.
  3. misterdontmove

misterdontmove Member

Those are a bit hotter than the original humbuckers from the late 50s but they're not crazy hot. I had an early 70s SG with T-Tops in it and you can get all kinds of great sounds out of them. If it didn't get knocked over by a conga player and snapped off the headstock, I would have kept it forever. You should keep your's if you can. It's a classic versatile instrument, with family history and sentimental value. Maybe a set of Burstbuckers? What type of music are you moving toward right now?

4. Lava Lamp

Lava Lamp Member

Listen to "Disraeli Gears". Killer SG sound.

5. drive-south

drive-south Member

Listen to Derick Trucks then think twice about selling the SG.

Perhaps it's the amp. What are you using for an amp?

Little_Wing likes this.
  6. Little_Wing

Little_Wing Member

Bring it in to a music store and demo some pedals and amps. Try a few overdrive or distortion pedals. Changing up the sound may be all you need to love your guitar again.

7. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I have gone through too many phases where I thought I moved on past a guitar, only to come back to it sometimes many years later. When that happens and I no longer own the guitar, it can be heartbreaking.

JohnSword likes this.
  8. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

Have you tried counseling?

JohnSword likes this.
  9. JohnSword

JohnSword Member

To answer all these at once: currently play cleanish blues through a silverface champ. Got rid of almost all my pedals and am happier than I've been in ages. The champ loves singles more than humbuckers so I'll give lowering and staggering them a try.

10. sunburster

sunburster Member

Sell it. There are a million guitars out there. Find one that really speaks to you. So many people keep guitars they don't really like for far too long simply because they were gifts and for some reason they feel obligated to hold on to them forever. Would you stay with your first girlfriend forever just because she was your first girlfriend? Don't think so.

11. MisterBoh

MisterBoh Member

I understand. My dad bought me a bass when I was in college. I was playing a 90s MIM clunker that I started with and he had a meeting in NYC and asked me if I wanted to come and check out W 48th while he was doing his thing. I did and found a pretty heavily used bass on a stand in Manny's that I loved. He asked me how it went and then asked to see the bass and bought it for me.

It's a great instrument but my tastes have changed. It's flashier than I'd like (this was early 2000s) and the gold hardware nags at me every time I open the case. I thought about selling it many times and even listed it once but I can't bring myself to sell it. I'm glad I didn't since it plays and sounds great.

SGs are good and you will regret selling this one particularly if it's special to you for other reasons. My bass is forever tied to a nice day spent with my dad and he won't be around forever.

Don't sell your instrument, just get what you want.

JohnSword likes this.
  12. JohnSword

JohnSword Member

Small update. Just spent a couple of hours on cleaning it, setting it up, changing pickups height and roughing the neck. Especially the neck has changed massively. Might rough it up even further, going for an almost satin like finish there.
    Decided that it deserves some money on a professional setup and will look into your pickup suggestions.
    Massive thanks for all your help so far!

13. misterdontmove

misterdontmove Member

You are clearly embarking on a tone quest. Enjoy the journey!

14. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    THIS^ :)

15. Bogner

Bogner Member

Just start playing the guitar. Play it unplugged, play it plugged in, play it and get familiar with it again. Experiment with sounds, pedals/amps you already have and see where it goes. There have been multiple occasions where I have changed my mind on something I owned and thought of moving. Sometimes you just need to take the time and reconnect. Restring it, clean it up and put some love into it and simply play it.

16. CaliCaveMan

CaliCaveMan Supporting Member

I have a guitar under my bed that my father bought for me and I’ve kept it since it was given to me at a young age.

I don’t want to play it but it means something so just keep it on display or keep it in its case. You will sleep better at night.

17. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

This is a sideways approach: do you have multiple electrics? If so, compare them. I can compare 4 at a time using a passive mixer. It's amazing what I've learned about how each guitar sounds and there was one I was going to get rid of until I heard it compared to the others.

18. JohnSword

JohnSword Member

Currently have 4, and have a quite good idea what they sound like, and what i like/dislike about them. Havn't yet tried hard A/B'ing them. Will try that soon!

19. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Member

Sounds like you're ripe for moving to a Fender!