Help me make a $1000 decision

coolcat2

Supporting Member
So I've sold some gear in the emporium and have around $1000 in my paypal account to spend. I can't decide between a guitar or amp. As far as guitars, I have GAS for an SG, Cabronita, Hamer or Starla. I'm set on Strats, tele's, and have a Les Paul. I also have a Gibson Midtown Standard with P90's but would love a 335 or 339. However, that is above my budget. I'm into Warren Haynes, Black Keys, Buddy Guy to name a few, mostly blues and blues rock.

As far as amps, I have a DRRI and Lil Dawg Champ with 12" speaker. I'm really thinking about getting a Tweed Deluxe but wasn't sure how much overlap there would be with the Champ I have. I also am interested in a good Marshall type amp or 18w clone. So, any advice would be much appreciated.

Sam Sherry

Silver Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Stop. Wait. Don't just spend simply because you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

And stop asking strangers about how to spend your money, too!

+ + +

We now return you to TGP.

stjimmy328

save up a few dollars more and get a nice used plexi. Or, save up until you really fall in love with something. thats what i did, and ended up with an awesome stratocaster.

TheoDog

Supporting Member
What are your primary gigs? What gear would enhance those gigs?
Out of the box... What is your recording setup like?

Sounds like you're more in need of ampage than guitars. In that budget id say get a Marshall 2204. Jmp or JCM800 era. Can't go wrong with having a classic Marshall in your tone locker.

coolcat2

Supporting Member
I agree that I'm missing the Marshall sound. any other Marshall type amp suggestions. What about an 18w type amp.

markw1980

You can find a used Avatar 18 watt head for less than $1000. Just have to do some digging. Heck, I think they are still under that new. Great amps-

DrumBob

Gold Supporting Member
Stop. Wait. Don't just spend simply because you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

And stop asking strangers about how to spend your money, too!

+ + +

We now return you to TGP.

Very good response. I say this all the time: How can you possibly ask a bunch of strangers what equipment you should buy? If you want a guitar, go out and play guitars and see what you like.

440gtx6pak

That reply was awesome, about not to ask others:). Nonetheless if it was me I wouldn't ask anyone and would just see if I could get a good price selling the Midtown Standard too, combine the funds and get a used es335 instead. If I could not sell the Midtown for a good price, then I'd just keep it and save the other money for a rainy day.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
I think you should sell everything and buy the exact same gear I own. Nothing else is good enough...

Trending Topics