Help me make a high-gain rig out of my komet 60...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Young Angus, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

Hi there,

just a bit of background about this request. Im in a band that needs a saturated high gain tone that i can get great palm muting chunk out of, singing but cutting leads and great cleans, and at the moment my main rig is my ENGL Savage 120 and a matching ENGL vintage 30 loaded quad...and its a great rig, but i want to see if i can make my komet into just as good a high gain type sounding rig but with that vintage EL34 edge to it that will not only cut through anything but also sound fantastic! And im pretty sure it can be done, its just that ive never really experimented enough with it and don't have all that much experience setting up rigs with single channel non-mastervolume amps...with no effects loops!

So my question to you is "if you had this komet 60 head to play with, how would you set it up (even down to which tube brands) to get you a rig that will do a ripping tasty high gain, with great high gain lead tones (i know its cheesy but think CC Deville off Poisons "crack a smile" album...you may not like poison, but that guy has tone and chops!) and that will back off to a great clean.

Equipment i have already is obviously the komet 60 head, the line 6 green delay stompbox modeller, the line 6 yellow distortion stompbox modeller, a boutique overdrive pedal called a 12axe made by Dave Ulbrick (its on harmony central), a dunlop 535q wah, and an 8ohm hotplate. The komet currently has GT EL34s in it and JJ ECC83S's (with high gain graded one in V1)...but i have some NOS preamp tubes that came with the amp i might put back in, i was just saving them for when i set it up properly.

I play a les paul standard soon to have dimarzio virtual PAFs in it (hot one in bridge) and a warmoth strat with a JB bridge, virtual vintage blues middle and virtual vintage solo neck.

So if anyone could be bothered reading all that...please suggest how i could set this rig up...and feel free to recommend gear that i dont have (especially speaker cabinets cos i was going to get a g12h30 one anyway for the komet).

Cheers :BEER

2. thegame

thegame Member

So the compressor gives you gain? Do you put it pre or post gain (pedals)?
    I'd assume it gives you a more liquidy feel, right?

3. CrunchBoy

CrunchBoy Member

I'd get an Ultimate Attenuator and run the Komet on 10. Roll back the guitar volume for cleans. If the Komet doesn't have enough gain for the heavy stuff, then clean boost it with an eq pedal. For speakers, I'd go with 25 watt Greenbacks. 2x12 would probably be enough.

4. PFCG

PFCG Member

Dump the non true bypass pedals, but a few good ones, ie... a keeley compressor, a clean booster like a fulltone fat boost, and get a new mosfet fulldrive 2 and an ocd, you just cant beat that with a stick. You need good cables, and dump the dimarzios and the celestion speakers! the duncans are so much better. I would buy some John Suhr humbuckers, and some tonetubby ceramics in a 4x12 or even a vertical 2x12, you will be surprised how much you dont miss your huge cab. For the tubes, always go NOS JAN phillips 12AX7's or go with Telefunken or RCA in the preamp stages, 12AX7's are the highest gain and you will see such a difference, the poweramp section dosn't make a hell of alot of difference, but i would say drop some dough on a pair of Mullard EL34's or even some KT88's, you will be amazed at the tone. Those Komet amps are sick, its just that your wrecking it when you use the dimarzios IMHO. Dimarzios make me think the 80's are still around. Id get some great pickups, and save up for a Parker, ive got one and its the most versatile guitar on the planet. But get the Mojo Version! Good Luck! AND NEVER ATTENUATE! IT WILL FRY YOUR OUTPUT TRANSFORMERS! not to mention burn out a whole compliment of NOS tubes in an hour!

5. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

For all the suggestions you have here and how much it's gonna cost:

Sell the damn Komet and buy a VHT, or Soldano, or Mesa.

Unless this is a thinly veiled foray into a gear-spree...then charge ahead.

EP

6. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

What if i want to get a bit of an 80s vibe happening :Devil

Sounds like running the right pedals would be a good road, although i tried diming the hell out of my komet today through a 412 vintage 30 ENGL slant cab and i could hear some great high gain stuff but it was wayyyyy too bassy and not enough top end even with the treble up! I definitely think i need a cab loaded with g12h30's, which is on the menu for sure. But man when i dimed that komet even though i had earplugs in my head felt like my brain was shaken up after i stopped playing, but its amazing how great it cleans up on fast mode with the guitar volume knob...even when dimed! Has a good bit of a hum though when running full steam even with no guitar signal going into it, but i guess thats what you get :)

7. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

Cmon...ive already got an ENGL :rolleyes:

8. Roe

Roe Member

the line6 boxes will lower the signal volume and give you less gain

9. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

Hmm thats interesting...surely not when in true bypass mode though? And if i was to use one of the distortion models in the yellow box id be pumping more gain into it anyway so it shouldnt matter. I think i want to find something to work well with the komets gain though, but maybe i can use one of the lower gain models in the yellow line 6 stomp box modeller for that, although i was experimenting quickly with that today and it would feed back uncontrollably every time i switched the distortion model on...granted i didnt really tweak them much so they were probably pumping too much into the komet...this is gonna drive me nuts :NUTS

10. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

No kidding. Get that digital Line 6 stuff out of your chain---those things are tone suckers, IMO, on or off. I would check into splatt's pedal recommnedation as well.

11. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

Yeah the only line 6 box i really want in my chain would be the delay one, i see it in enough pro rigs so it must be okay to use! If you have any other suggestions for a better delay to use im all ears.

But the yellow distortion one is just something i can play around with at the moment, but that gain F$$$er pedal sounds like fun ;)

12. MesieBooga

MesieBooga Member

CC Deville has chops!?:NUTS

13. Roe

Roe Member

when in true bypass mode it's no problem. this only affects the sound when the effect is on. Even if the distortion box can boost the signal, the delay box (dl4) will compress it if it's on and placed after the distortion box

14. PFCG

PFCG Member

having an attenuator is a bad idea that i have heard from many people, including doug roccaforte and bill and joe at two-rock. it is not good for your ots, but if you want the 80's thing go for it! im not forcing anything on anyone, that just what i would do. but you definatley need true bypass, and i personally dont like celestions, but alot of people like them. to eaches own! but the komet is a sick amp!

15. Phloored

Phloored Member

Ding, ding, ding, Scorching!

16. Blueser

Blueser Member

Running a Tone Bone Classic in front was the best high gain tone I ever got out of my Komet 60.

17. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

A boss SD-1 into the front end would put you right square in 80's turf.
    And under 100 bucks...

18. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

Forgive my ignorance here but i have been running my delay through effects loops mainly till now...so where in the signal chain should the delay go, or is it just a matter of what i prefer to my ear? You say it would compress slightly if used post distortion...would this be very noticable?

19. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

Just looking at those now and they look nice, but there are a couple i could consider it seems. What do you think about the "hot british" or the "trimode classic"...or do you think just stick with the plain ol' simple "classic"?

And you wouldnt have any clips by chance using this pedal with a komet 60 would you? Know that one is a longshot but i thought id ask :rolleyes:

20. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Back in the 80's when you needed to max out the gain you run a Boss EQ pedal in the mix. Anymore gain than that just isn't musical anyway.