Help me make cool feedback sounds

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stella was a dive, Jun 2, 2015.

1. stella was a dive

stella was a dive Member

I can't seem to figure how to make cool controllable feedback like this REM video below

in the intro I hear a lot of playing behind the ric bridge strings, and I do that a lot, but I can't get my feedback to sustain. for me it's usually nothing, or my amp and guitar screaming back at me in one big sound.

2. Tzirfigu

Tzirfigu Member

Maybe the Vibesware resonator?

3. sahhas

sahhas Member

didn't watch all the vid, but i know peter buck played semi-hollow rickenbackers a lot....
    i know for me i was always mesmerized by the feedback that hendrix got, and for me (and i'm no hendrix, nor am i playing w/ a huge marshall stack)..if you use a fuzz pedal w/ single coil
    pickups, i'm able to really get some interesting feedback at low volumes. yesterday i just got my fuzz factory clone, so the interaction between guitar and amp has been fun. i also have
    a feedback mic installed on my guitar, so in a way, that feels like cheating, but hey, cheating is ok sometimes.....

4. Yossi

Yossi Member

Try two OD pedals at the same time, with a delay pedal.

5. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

Have you considered excessive volume?

mapleneck72 and Sociophile like this.
  6. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Roll back the tone knob, lean the headstock on the amp cab, use heavy finger vibrato and try to catch the wave, if you have metal knobs or anything that "clangs" use it to start some feedback, get a compressor, etc.....

themannamedbones likes this.
  7. stella was a dive

stella was a dive Member

I do use a ric and I do get tons of feedback with it, it's bring able to constant feedback (if that makes any sense) at will.

8. stella was a dive

stella was a dive Member

I probably should have added more info in the first post but I was in a rush.

I play a ric 330 and a ric 360 into an ac15 cranked pretty well (2 o clock or so) also have a low gain hotcake and klone on, so it's always working hard, and thusly I get a lot of unwanted feedback playing that loudly (and always with a topanga on and slap back on)

if you click on the link below you'll see the unwanted feedback I get, so I have no issue getting feedback, I guess it's just getting the cool feedback at will when I want it I have trouble with.

https://soundcloud.com/rick-munro

(bare in mind soundcloud clips and compress it like crazy)

9. stella was a dive

stella was a dive Member

was also considering trying an ebow.

10. rer122504

rer122504 Member

Some artists in sound check will find the feedback sweet spots and mark them. Sweet spots change with every room and venue. Other than that to sound like take that be loud, strum the strings behind the nut and use an analog echo.

11. msnes335

msnes335 Supporting Member

Yea, I was going to say crank amp, hold guitar up to amp