Help Me Narrow Down My Options Please

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by NeedmoreCrunch, Sep 10, 2019.

1. NeedmoreCrunch

NeedmoreCrunch Member

I'm a guitar player looking for something I can create soundscapes n' stuff with to play guitar along with. I don't want to make beats but want drums. I've been looking watching videos of the Roland MC GrooveBox series and JU, Maschine MK stuff, Akai MPC, some Behringer synths (and will continue to research) but I thought I'd ask for assistance from my bros.

Wants:
    Stand-alone unit. I don't want it to need to connect to a computer to function.

Must include drums

Synth type soundscapes can be created/stored for jamming along

Not too big, desktop style.

I'm not sure if I'd be better off with a small keyboard workstation type (Roland JU series) device or a pad type device (Akai MPC Live). Will both create the same types of sounds aside from hitting/holding pads vs. actually playing keys?

I'm thinking around the $300 to $600 range... $1000 max, you know, TGP!

Thanks much!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  2. Devnor

Devnor Member

New MC707 looks very cool. The latest synth engine from Roland, sampler, 8 track clip sequencer. Kinda like a mini Fantom. You can plug a midi keyboard into this. Very nice!

3. NeedmoreCrunch

NeedmoreCrunch Member

Having the Headrush Gigboard I'm getting spoiled by the touchscreen, the AKAI MPC Live looks real cool! But I'm still in the "will it work for me" research stages.

4. oceanofnoise

oceanofnoise Member

The ipad has a load of really great apps if you're ok with a touch screen.

i absolutely adore the teenage engineering OP-Z (has drums, synths and a sampler, runs on a battery, and fits into a coat pocket). Maybe not the most obvious choice for soundscapes though so YMMV!

xcc likes this.
  5. NeedmoreCrunch

NeedmoreCrunch Member

Not looking for apps or softsynth and the touchscreen isn't critical, just ease of use. Thanks for the suggestion!

oceanofnoise likes this.
  6. jaded_musician

jaded_musician Supporting Member

I have the MPC Live, it has a bit of a learning curve, but I like what it can do.

It can work as a stand alone daw. Internal drums, internal synths, bass, samples, etc. Midi sequencing, 8 audio tracks.
    You can run it on batteries.

NeedmoreCrunch likes this.
  7. NeedmoreCrunch

NeedmoreCrunch Member

Nice! That's one I'm going to download the manual and get some more info.

8. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

At present, it has no song mode, which would bother quite a few guitarists like the OP.

9. NeedmoreCrunch

NeedmoreCrunch Member

Thanks @GovernorSilver, these are the things I need to know.

10. jaded_musician

jaded_musician Supporting Member

Version 3 is supposed to address that.

11. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

I learned the hard way:

Never buy a product that is missing a feature that is important to you, as of today, regardless of promises of future updates.

Better to wait until the feature is actually added before buying.

12. Tootone

Tootone Member

Have you considered the Boss Loop Stations?

Most of what you describe could be done in a DAW, but you mentioned "Standalone" box.

They are great for spur of the moment creation when the groove mojo is flowing.

I have a Boss RC-300, floormounted, which is more aimed at live "hands-free" performance.

But they also do a desktop RC-505. They are aimed more at your DJ live stuff but similar in concept.

The premise is multi-track looping.

They are pretty complex and feature rich, but simple in operation. Do your homework, download the manual pdf and see if it fits the hole you are trying to fill.

13. NeedmoreCrunch

NeedmoreCrunch Member

Yes multi-track looping is the premise, but the RC-300 has warble issues when stretching. It's a known issue and nothing has been done about it for years.

And I have a cat, so hardware doesn't go on the floor that has brains.

I'm thinking about getting a keyboard midi controller and saving myself a ton of cash (for now) and using soft synths until I have time to do more research.

14. Madsen

Madsen Member

Novation Launchpad is an inexpensive way to do it if you aren't opposed to using a laptop. It comes with Ableton Live Lite, a couple VST synths & a huge sample library. They're going for $120 on sweetwater at the moment.

NeedmoreCrunch likes this.
  15. Triton76

Triton76 Member

sounds like an old workstation synth would work like a Motif or triton or fantom. they're large and complicated but deep and sound good. probably high end of your price range.