Help me out fellas..

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Turi, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Turi

Turi Member

..okay, so basically, I'm sick of flipping guitars.
    I like 'em, but I really want to find one that I can stick with.
    I've gone through loads.

What I've owned in the past and still own aside - here's my thoughts.

Most comfortable body - STRAT (mim)
    Best neck - STRAT (mim)
    Best neck pup - TELE (mim)
    Best bridge pup - NONE HATE EM ALL

At the moment I've got a Gretsch G5420T that I'm kinda eh on.. on one hand, it looks awesome and sounds awesome, on the other hand, it cramps my hand so hard and I can't be bothered with that.

What can I do?

Does a Tele pickup fit right on into a Strat? If so, well, there's my starting point - a Strat.

What I want in the bridge is some mad BALLZ, but not thin and weedy like the Strats are.

Also, glossy necks, no go. What I loved about the Strat MIM neck was it was satin, I think.
    Real smooth.

Where do I start? Is there a guitar that is already what I want, stock?

Cheers for any and all help.

2. nateco

nateco Member

A strat with a humbucker in the bridge...try a few and see if it's what you looking for.

Obviously, it's not a tele, but it would cure that thin strat bridge thing you don't like.

3. Turi

Turi Member

I haven't played a HSS strat yet.
    I think I'd like one a lot though.

Can a tele pickup fit into a start neck?
    Or is there anything I can do to make the strat neck pickup a bit warmer/smoother?

4. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

I'll go in a little different direction.
    Have you ever considered EMG pickups? Yes, I know they get very little respect here in puritan TGP land.
    For the last 15 years or so, my two main guitars have been Strats with an EMG DG20 system.
    I never, never, NEVER thought about active pickups, but my endless search for ballsy tone that lies somewhere between single coil and humbucker brought to the DG20.
    More mid growl at the turn of a pot. Dial the mid back, raise some highs and lows in the middle pickup for strumming, almost acoustic work.

I just finished a new strat build last week with Lace Holy Grails with an EMG SPC control (half the DG20) and couldn't be happier.

I guess my point is there are loads of wiring options. I'm not trying to dissuade you from your Tele pickup idea-the important thing is that you get what you're looking for.
    I'm just saying that so many years later, I'm still blown away by the spectrum of tones I get from my EMG loaded strats. They simply have never let me down.

5. nateco

nateco Member

The strat neck position is the whole reason to get a strat IMO.

Maybe look at some different floured strat pickups instead of trying a neck tele pup on a strat.

Maybe you need a dual humbucker strat.

6. americananalog

americananalog Member

You want a tele with an overwound bridge pickup. Plenty of teles out there with a satin finish neck too.

7. Baxter Stockman

Baxter Stockman Member

Warmoth makes a pickguard that will fit a Tele bridge pickup.

8. 73Fender

73Fender Member

I say keep a couple that are close to what you want and just play the heck out of em.

You may be looking for perfection or just chasing tone too much.

9. jchan

jchan Member

If you like strats, I would recommend you stick with them a bit, try a HSS configuration and then try to get the bridge pickup tone you want with the help of the right pedal combination.

10. Grenville

Grenville Member

Put a Kinman Big 9-0 in the bridge for fat P90 tones.

11. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Clapton Strat. Get an old one with lace sensors. Dial down the treble a bit, mid boost it a bit, and you have a great neck tone.

12. 335guy

335guy Member

Both Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio, and many others, make hot bridge pickups that will drop right in to your strat.

13. David Garner

David Garner Member

Three good options that I'm aware of. My favorite is what 335guy recommends -- a hot Strat bridge pickup. The SSL-5 is fantastic. A Fralin Steel Pole would be another option. The second would be a rail pickup or a single-coil sized humbucker. The third would be an HSS Strat. Each of them has compromises. I prefer options 1 or 3 to 2, only because if I'm going to have a humbucker in there anyway, I'll just get an HSS, and if I want a more Tele-ish tone, I'd rather have a hot humbucker.

For me, the best option is two guitars. I play a Les Paul or my DGT when I want the heavier tones, and a Strat or Tele when I want the single coil sound. The Tele bridge, for me, is the perfect single coil bridge tone. That's going to be really hard to get in a Strat, plus you don't like it all that much anyway. A Twangbanger is supposed to get that tone, as are the Fralin steel poles (more P90-ish, but in the ballpark). I gave up trying to have one "do it all" guitar. My Tele and DGT are my most versatile two, but I find swapping between a Les Paul and Strat to give me everything I want as opposed to using one of the other two to cover everything.

A final suggestion would be to try a 2 P-90 guitar like a Les Paul Junior Special or a Les Paul with P90s. The fact that you prefer the Strat's ergonomics is a problem there, but it's a decent option. The Junior Special would be a good choice, since it will be lighter and more ergonomic. It will give you all the balls you want, and you can turn down the volume on the neck to get lighter tones there.

14. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

you have to know what YOU want before you can find what you want. sorry that I am no help

15. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

You can use a flexible sanding pad to knock off the glossy finish on the back of any guitar neck.
    That's easy and takes 2-3 minutes.
    I've done it to every guitar I own and if I needed to, could gloss it back up in 5-10 minutes.

HSS strat sounds like your ticket really.

16. David Garner

David Garner Member

Let me add to my already-too-long post above by asking what kind of music you like. The tone you're after might be different from the gear you're using. I say that as someone who chased heavier tones with Fender guitars and amps, and then later Fender guitars and Mesa amps, both with a ton of pedals. Then I figured out that a low watt Marshall, a couple of REALLY cheap pedals and the guitar's volume and tone knobs were all I needed. A Les Paul and a Strat will cover just about anything I need to do these days.

It will be different for you, depending on the tone you want. But start by identifying the sound you're after, and it will be easier to recommend guitars that will help you get there.

17. Turi

Turi Member

Cheers for all the help, haven't got a chance to take it all in until I knock off.

The strat body is by far the most comfortable for me so I think that's the place to start.
    I really need to check out a HSS strat I'm sure the bridge will have more balls with a humbucker.

The neck ones I've tried have sucked but I'll be honest. My experience is a dodgy cheap Ashton strat and a mom fender deluxe with noiseless pickups.

Neither are true representatives of the fender sound IMO so I think I'd be well served trying a hss strat without noiseless pups.

I'll get home when I can and actually respond to people.

Thanks again for all the help.

So sick of flipping guitars haha.

18. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

Find a guitar you bond with, then flip pickups until you hit a winner.
    I would never sell a guitar I really liked just because the sound wasn't there.
    Pickup flips are an easy way to zero in on what you want.

19. Jay Ralston

Jay Ralston Member

If you want a Strat with an HSS configuration, it can be done.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]