Help me out on this one:

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Flatcat, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Flatcat

Flatcat Member

2. hamfist

hamfist Member

Hmmm. Sounds like the guy doesn't really know quite what it is. It certainly is NOT a 1959 with a more powerful EQ. I never knew Marshall made such an amp. If you get no luck here, I would definately ask over on the Marshall forum at Metroamp - http://forum.metroamp.com/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=6dc7cc1dd6d62397c9f4b4b4dc5a5d21 or Plexi Palace - http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=8288ed4a41640ca34eb3faa372254f87. There are some serious Marshall geeks that hang out over there.

3. Flatcat

Flatcat Member

He admitted the DI is not original. Ok it's not that big of a deal but I don't like the fact people "lie".

Apparently it doesnt have a mastervolume either...? Isn't bass or lead exactly the same except for some inside stuff?

thanks for the tip on the forums but stll waiting to get registered.

4. Flatcat

Flatcat Member

5. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Not sure what you want verified, but it is a JCM 800 Bass amp. Not sure why anyone thinks it is a limited edition. It was a standard model, which did come in red (which was very a fairly common color for those amps). The DI is obviously not original. Marshall never put unlabeled DI's on any amp, and especially not right in the middle of the model info.

There should be a letter in the serial number to verify the date of manufacture. The paper build chart should also have a date on it.

His description of the differences is a bit lacking. In general terms, the difference between the Super Bass and the Super Lead is a few small parts. Tonally it is more bassy than a Super Lead version of the same amp. Less high end, and a bit less gain at lower volumes. They roar for guitar at high volumes.

6. hamfist

hamfist Member

But, surely, if this is a Superbass it should be a 4 holer, right ?

7. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Usually yes. Occasionally no. In this case the actual problem is that Marshall named an amp incorrectly. Not the only time. A Super Bass should be a four holed amp, but this is a two holed master volume amp that they called a Super Bass. As far as I know, they never made a Master Bass model with that name.

8. hamfist

hamfist Member

Thanks Adam, I just never even heard of an MV bass JCM800 before.