Help me out with bright cap values, please

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by ultrevex, Sep 13, 2006.

1. ultrevex

ultrevex Member

I'm obsessed with my Deluxe Reverb's bright cap. Stock is 47pf, right? So, is 100pf letting more or less highs pass? I know this is really basic stuff, I just have no background in electronics.

2. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

100pfd will pass more highs.

MikeY

3. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

More correctly, the 100pF will shift down the frequency band which is enhanced. I've found that its sometimes best to do the opposite and shift it up. Granted, this is personal preference more than anything else.

4. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

Also, FWIW the bright switch on most other (bigger) Fender amps just switches a bright cap in/out of circuit and the value there is 120pF (or sometimes 100pF).

5. ultrevex

ultrevex Member

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Donny, is there any way to calculate what frequency band is being enhanced for each cap value?

My thought was to try 2 47ph caps in series to lessen the overall brightness being passed. Stock is a bit much, no cap at all loses too much sparkle for my taste.

I have some caps on the way.....guess I'll be doing some swapping and listening soon.

6. bob-i

bob-i Member

Get a 22pF. That'll give you a mid between no cap and the 47pF