Help me out with cable buying...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by waylay00, Feb 6, 2008.

1. waylay00

waylay00 Member

I've been using mostly cheap cables for a very long time, and I'm thinking that they are holding my rig back. I've got about $300 to spend on replacing:

Four 10' cables
    One 2' speaker cable
    About six 6" patch cables (I'm currently using Goerge L's solderless, so they are my last priority, although I'm not a fan of the solderless connection)

I'm thinking about going Lava ELC, but is the price worth THAT much to upgrade to something "better", like Evidence Audio?

Thanks

2. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

3. waylay00

waylay00 Member

I'm thinking about just going with Lava ELCs and a Cardas speaker cable.

4. bluntage

bluntage Member

Hey Wade,

I recently did a cable shootout on my own with some "entry level" high-end cable and the Lava ELC came out on top. I really like the fullness and clarity of signal the ELC gives my rig. Very good cable and I am sure others will chime in shortly to support the same conclusion.

Cheers,
    Brad

5. waylay00

waylay00 Member

Went with some ELCs for guitar>pedalboard>amp and a Kimber Kable 4SV for speaker cable.

6. bluntage

bluntage Member

That's my exact choice as well! :AOK

7. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

What are some good options if you just want to buy the darn things already soldered and all? I'm talking 6" to 2' cables for 'boards. Thanks.

8. waylay00

waylay00 Member

Lava ELCs (well, I haven't used them yet, but I expect the quality to be top-notch). That's what I just bought.

9. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

Lava ELCs seem to be getting a lot ofa praise on TGP and I don't doubt the quality, another decently-priced alternative to consider that's a lot easier to get on this side of the pond is Sommer Spirit. I made myself a couple of cables using it with Neutrik connectors a while back, and have been really happy with them.

10. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

I shelled out for the zaolla silver series cables. Expensive but they carry a massive warranty so basically i am always covered....Until they close down or get bought...lol

11. 5150gtrmonkey

5150gtrmonkey Silver Supporting Member

12. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I recently purchased the following from Lava Cables:

2 15' ELC's to connect from guitar to pedalboard to amp
    4 ELC DIY Solderless patch cable kits for pedalboard interconnects
    1 Kimber 4VS and 1 Cardas Crosslink speaker cable for the head/cabinet connection

This was my first foray into high-end cable, and generally I've been pleased. The ELC's definitely sound better than entry level cables, especially in terms of the high-end detail and sparkle they allow to come through. The DIY solderless kits are also very good. They're quick and easy to put together, flexible, quiet, and sound great.

I have not been able to discern a sonic difference when using the Kimber and Cardas speaker cables vs entry level speaker cables. Maybe my ears just aren't that sensitive. They are certainly MUCH heavier duty and more robustly constructed than low end speaker cables, so I imagine they'll hold up much better over time. Personal preference as to whether that's worth the extra investment.

13. Stratman76

Stratman76 Member

This may sound odd, but I've heard and read great things about DiMarzio cables. They use 100% coverage braided shield and spec out to be pretty low impedance (620pf over an 18' cable). The price is quite right and, again, the feedback has been stellar. Today, I would choose them over the Mogami Gold cables I have now. Lava ELC does look good... I'd like to read about a blind guitar tone + noise rejection test involving-
    DiMarzio
    Lava ELC
    Mogami
    Vovox
    Sommer Stratos

BS in the cable world...
    Oxygen Free Copper doesn't mean jack aside from possibly keeping your cable free of corrosion forty years from purchase date.
    Gold Plating can actually be a negative over long term use when it scratches off. Otherwise, it's not providing anything sonically significant.