help me out with some GAS!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Marc.yo, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Marc.yo

Marc.yo Member

now i've been approaching 1000 dollars for a while in my savings and i have two options

a nice laptop or:

this. :D

[​IMG]

i'm gasin for it pretty bad. i've played it a bunch of times through similar amps and i'm nearly dyin. daves has it for 1.25k. ugh!!!!
    any suggestions on what i can do to get rid of it?/which should i choose!!!

2. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

The laptop dosen't have Dynasonics now does it? Your computer will be outdated in a year's time while you'll still be playing the living sh*t out of that Sparkle Jet. :D

3. Marc.yo

Marc.yo Member

OMG, you are so right.....unless i can get a laptop that has dynasonics...that might work.

DECISIONS DECISIONS!!!

4. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

The magnets on my Dynasonics are so strong I'm pretty sure they can erase a hard drive. I dunno how they'd get 'em in a laptop! :rotflmao

5. XKnight

XKnight Member

Unless you actually need the laptop to make a living, I'd get whatever just makes you happiest. Of course if the guitar is your tool of the trade then the decision is even easier.

6. Marc.yo

Marc.yo Member

ROFL!!!!

and Xknight. i don't need the laptop but it would be super nice. i have plenty of guitars but this would be my first truly high quality one. the next thing down is an all vintage parts duo-sonic that i still need to upgrade a fair amount to get it to reach its full potential. then its a PRS SE soapbar II maple in blue matteo....

and then its all stuff like my old squier affinity strat that i upgraded with some GFS dream 90s and an epiphone Junior bolt on with a lollar p90 etc.

here's my gear list actually
    Teisco Big Red
    Squier affinity strat which is better than you'd think
    -dream 90s and all CTS etc
    Epi Junior
    -Lollar P90
    -semi-intonatable bridge
    -All new electronics
    PRS SE Soapbar II maple matteo
    -original
    Barclay (harmony) rocket with a bucker in the bridge and the original mustache pickup in the neck (should get around to getting that replaced or rewound or something)
    so as you can tell i could really use a really nice high quality guitar and i think a gretsch would round off the collection nicely

7. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Be careful, once you go Gretsch you never go back. $1000 for a Dynasonic-equipped Jet is a deal. How are you pulling that off? I've seen those sell for nearly $2000.

8. Marc.yo

Marc.yo Member

idk...its a 95 which IIRC most people view that as a bad set of years because i think its when FMIC took over? can't remember why but i just remember hearing somewhere that those years are considered a bit lesser.

it's been there forever too...which is odd to me. i've played and the only gripe i have about it is the fret size. but that doesn't matter too much honestly. i can get around that. i'm just used to the fender sized 6230 or w/e they are.

9. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Yeah, nothing is like Fender jumbo frets. I prefer the smaller frets on the Gretsch and Gibson guitars. That's a pre-Fender MIJ Jet then, which some people find to be inferior to the Fender-era Gretsch guitars. I own a Fender and pre-Fender Gretsch and they're both excellent guitars. Those Dynasonics are the joint though. I've never played a single coil pickup that I like as much.

10. Marc.yo

Marc.yo Member

k thanks for the info. i am a huge fan of the dynasonics.

they are a bit like a Fender SC and a p90. only with more clarity and oomph

11. 5E3

5E3 Supporting Member

Get the guitar :D

12. vds5000

vds5000 Member

I know that guitar - I've been looking at it for the past few months online. I can't see Dave's dropping the price though - I've bought 2 different things from them over the past 6 months, and they wouldn't budge on the price.

Keep in mind, that $1000 laptop will be worth $400 or so in a year. The Gretch won't depreciate much (if at all).

BTW, GC usually has a used Gretch or two for around the same price. They recently had a 'Silver Jet' for around $1299 or so.

13. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Exactly.

Nobody understands what I'm saying when I tell them they're like a weaker P90 with Strat clarity and punch. Absolutely hands-down my favorite single coil pickups. Through my Marshall I can get a little Jimi tone out of the neck of my White Falcon. Talk about blowing people's minds! :crazyguy

14. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

15. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

the guitar won't be an obsolete door stop in 2 years. buy the right one, and it will be the opposite of that. even if it only looks nice, at leat it will look good on a wall.

anyone ever hung a laptop on a wall?
    how'd that work out for you?

16. Marc.yo

Marc.yo Member

rofl at jeffwith1f

i might have to get the guitar...my mom will pissed at me tho. how much of a loser am I. hahahaha

17. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

I think if you ask this on a computer geek forum of some sort you'll have drastically different advice ;)

<-- still votes for get the git.

18. auraelux

auraelux Member

lol dude you posted this question on the wrong forum, we're all gonna tell you to get the Gretsch, so you know what you gotta do ;)

19. Marc.yo

Marc.yo Member

i'm thinking i posted it in the right place. altho i still think i'm gonna get my laptop first...then i might get the gretsch or another one like it