• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Help me pair my Marshall with a Mesa cab

bigfoamfinger

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Marshall JCM900 50 watt MKIII

I am getting a Mesa Road King 2x12 cab sent to me tomorrow

How do I pair these up? It seems that the Road King is made for the RK head, and difficult to pair with anything else. Check the link below to see what I mean- the RK cab has separate 8ohm inputs for EACH speaker. How would I hook up my 8/16ohm Marshall head to this???

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar Cabinets/RoadKingCABS/RK-2x12-LG.htm

That JCM 900 should have a 16/4 selector on the back. You could plug both 8 ohm speakers in, one in each tap, set it to 16/4 (4 ohms) and have at.

Edit - Clicked the link. Just hit the 16/4 tap and plug into that 4 ohms combined jack. Done deal.

Okay, I stand corrected, looks like your model might not have a 4 ohm tap. You could run at 8 ohms and plug into the cab at 4 ohms with an impedance mismatch, although it's not the best thing to do.

Is this the only head that's going on that cab? If so pop the back off the cab and wire both those 8 ohm speakers in series. That'll get you a 16 ohm load and you'll be golden.

bigfoamfinger

Silver Supporting Member
That JCM 900 should have a 16/4 selector on the back. You could plug both 8 ohm speakers in, one in each tap, set it to 16/4 (4 ohms) and have at.

Edit - Clicked the link. Just hit the 16/4 tap and plug into that 4 ohms combined jack. Done deal.
Sweet. I was under the assumption that the 16/4 selector set it to 16 ohms and I would blow out any speaker that wasnt at least 16ohms. The Mesa is 4 and 8

What exactly does the 16/4 mean???

bigfoamfinger

Silver Supporting Member
Okay, I stand corrected, looks like your model might not have a 4 ohm tap. You could run at 8 ohms and plug into the cab at 4 ohms with an impedance mismatch, although it's not the best thing to do.

Is this the only head that's going on that cab? If so pop the back off the cab and wire both those 8 ohm speakers in series. That'll get you a 16 ohm load and you'll be golden.

The back of my amp has the selector to go from (4)16/8. Is that the 4ohm tap you are talking about?

Yes this is the only head that I will be using

Yeah, to the best of my knowlege that (4)16 tap is good for 4 ohms or 16 ohms, so you're fine to set it to (4)16 and plug that 4 ohm cab in.

Austinrocks

the Vintage 30 is a 60 watt speaker, have them in several amps never had a complaint the 50 watt tube amp driving only one is worrisome, I have them in my 40 watt hot rod deluxe, but that is a 50% overage, for 50 watts I would like to have a 75 watt speaker like the G12T75, though a 100 watt G12K100 would cover the dimed performance. I do like the adjustible backs on the roadking cabinets, but the 4 or 8 ohm is a problem. the Vintage 30s come in a 16 ohm version as well, might try to find those for your amp.

might check with avatar and see, they are very well built and reasonbly priced and give you a choice of the speakers.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

Trending Topics