Help me pick a 212 cab/speakers for my 68 Plexi

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mrfender, Feb 14, 2012.

1. mrfender

mrfender Gold Supporting Member

I recently bought a 68 50watt lead Plexi from a member on here. Last week I found a friend who was willing to sell me his all original 1970 basketweave straight cab with 25 watt greenbacks. He also threw in a road case for the cab. I couldn't be happier with the tone.

However, I'm realizing the 412 cab with road case is not the most covienient thing to lug to gigs nor do I want to use it excessively and risk blowing an original speaker. I'm looking at the Scumback 212 cab which allows you to have a closed back and then open it to varying degrees. I'm also thinking of springing for the EC Collings grill cloth as I've seen a couple reviews on here saying its worth it. Thoughts?

For speakers, I was looking at a pair of Scumback M75's. Recently I read about the ASW Crossroads. It seems they are both going for the same thing. I'm also really curious about the new Eric Johnson speaker. I know it's an alnico but I read that Eric is using them with his Plexi's.

For tone, I'm going for Hendrix/Beck/EJ. I play strats and have 2 D'Pergo's and an original 62 Fender.

Please let me know your thoughts on what I have listed above as well as any products I might not be aware of that will get me the tone!

Thanks!

2. MrDoty

MrDoty Supporting Member

Port city has a deep tone for a 2x12. Better for the beck ej thing. Hendrix tone is much different IMO.wgs vet 30 is a great speaker with Marshall's if you want some warmth in your tone.

3. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

The new EJ signature speakers are to go into his rhythm cab, which is noteworthy. This cab used to hold either G12H30-55Hz Greenbacks or G12 80-55Hz speakers, which is really EJ's take on the Hendrixy-Keith Richardsy tone.

I would get a pair of low resonance speakers or otherwise ample in the low end, probably capable of at least 40W each, maybe more if weak alnico. Obviously Weber's Legacy series and Scumbacks are options you may consider - or if you want clarity with more alnico flavoured mids and highs then Fane make some sweet sounding speakers with lots of lows.

4. jboyjams

jboyjams Member

I'm in the same boat as the OP - the 2061x clone by Sour Mash in the Emporium looks nice but I'm not sure if that would be wide enough to accommodate a head (unless it's a small box like my 1987x).
    I do like that design though - 2x12 diagonal slant cab would be good for me at gigs when my amp is up close.

5. mrfender

Hey Solitaire, where did u hear EJ's only using them in his rhythm cabs? On the EJ website forum, someone from EJ's camp who is one of the moderators says he is using them in both lead and rhythm cabs on this current tour. Apparently he also states EJ uses 8ohms too which I didn't know.

Does anyone have experience with the Scumback cabs? I'm sure they are built to the highest standard. Would I notice a difference going with a cab from someone else like Germino or say Avatar?

Also, I notice that both ASW and Scumback sell these speakers at higher wattages like 65-70watts. In trying to recreate the 25 watt greenback tone, do you guys notice a difference at these higher wattages?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  6. mrfender

There must be some guys on here with Scumback cabs! Where u at??? How do they compare with other cabs you own?

7. schwa

schwa Member

For a small box Marshall head, I would look at the Mojotone and Stagecraft slant 2x12 cabs. Do your measurements, I don't want you ending up with a "muffin top" stack.

I have the Mojo cab, and it is first rate (loaded with G12-65's). Shown with a small box 2204.

[​IMG]

8. Morgan24

Morgan24 Member

Vintage JCM800 1936 2x12" G12-65!!

9. JiMB

JiMB Member

Hi mrfender,
    I have a Scumback 2x12 with the piano hinge thingy so the back can be open or closed. Sounds/looks great with 2 65watt M75's in it. Plenty bottom end. I use it with a Germino Club40.

10. mrfender

Thanks JiMB!!! Do you tend to use the cab open or closed? For the tones I'm going for should I stick with 2 M75's or do a mix? Listening to the Pete Thorn Scumback video the M75 was my favorite tone.

11. JiMB

JiMB Member

At home I keep it closed, very punchy and lots of low end. Rehearsals/gigs, I open the back 1 1/2"-2", a little less rumble and fills the room nicely. I think the M75's will get you where you want to go. The H75's will open up the highs and lows, they'd work great too. A lot of guys like one of each, I haven't tried that but I'm sure it sounds good.