Help me pick a amp head!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ibanezshredder66, Apr 23, 2015.

1. ibanezshredder66

ibanezshredder66 Member

I posted the other day I was looking to buy a mesa cab and was trying to decide between the trad or standard. So I ended up getting the traditional and ill prob end up getting a standard too down the road sometime. So now that I have a mesa 4x12 on the way I need a amp head to go with it. Im moving from a B 52 amp, lately I have been looking at the Fireball 100. So what amp head should I get? Engl, Mesa....something else?? I play metal but other things too...lately I have been playing Tool, Isis, Metallica, Chimaira, Lamb of God, Opeth, Stevie Ray Vaughn and Steve Vai. So what amp should I get???

2. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

So many options. My honest opinion - you literally can't go wrong with a good Marshall 2203 or 2204. Hit it with the right pedals, and it's capable of slaying just about any modern high gain amp.

3. Harry Joyce USA

Harry Joyce USA Member

All good choices, but really depends on what you like

4. ibanezshredder66

ibanezshredder66 Member

also looking at the engl savage 120

5. greatmutah

greatmutah Member

Savages are great. They've got more girth and balls than the Fireball. If you don't need all the options that the Savage has and would prefer something more simple go with the Blackmore. Or heck the E651 artist. It's basically a Blackmore on steroids.

Also as someone who has used many a Mesa, I do have to field a recommendation for either the Mark amps or the Dual Rectifiers. If you go with a Recto, personally I prefer the older two channel models as well as the newer Multi-watt models. The 3 channel heads they did from 2001 until the multi watts aren't bad amps, but they're a bit more heavy on the low end than I like. For you I would lean more towards the newer multi watt models as their clean is better and has more options. Or if you find one, and they're usually around $1000 or less these days, snag an old Tremoverb head. That's easily my favorite recto and one of the most versatile. Some of the best cleans and great tube reverb and the drive channels have a bit more upper mids than most Rectos. Vintage Hi Gain on that amp is to die for. Very rich channel and can be set to rip faces off easily.

The Marks are also excellent amps. The IV or V would work great. The V has more low and mid gain options than the IV but I like the lead channel of the IV better. Cleans on the V are brilliant. Tone wise they're very different from a Recto. A Recto has more lower mids and bottom and tends to saturate more and feel more "wet" sounding. The Mark is drier and tighter on the lows. The best analogy I can give is the sound of a Recto on high gain is getting hit with a tidal wave. A Mark is like a martial artist punching you right on the solar plexus. Very focused. If you can try both, do so.

6. Bogner

Bogner Member

How much cash do you want to spend?

7. Trevorsnackson

Trevorsnackson Member

8. ibanezshredder66

ibanezshredder66 Member

Im willing to spend up to 2800 probably. I know the savage is 2500 so if i could avoid spending more than that Id be happy but I could go up to to 3000 if I had to.

Also I prefer to buy new.

Im really into the savage, mesa dual and triple rectifier and mark IV and V.