Help Me Pick A Complimentary OD/Distortion Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Drumnbum, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Drumnbum

Drumnbum Member

Ok, so I have a PRRI and I use a Strat, Tele and Les Paul.

Currently I'm happy with the following OD pedals:
    Wampler Euphoria
    JHS Moonshine (nice TS-esque thing w/ mid hump)
    TC Electronic Spark Booster (if you don't know about this pedal, check it out - wow!)

I also have a v2 OCD, but I can't quite figure out what I don't like about it. I don't play much in the way of high gain stuff at all. Mostly cleanish to dirty bluesy-inspired stuff. I'm looking to possibly sell or trade the OCD and I'm just trying to get some perspective from fellow gear-heads. Hell, maybe I don't need another drive pedal, but I'm hoping you guys may be able to help a bit.

2. bluflames

bluflames Member

What does your current rig not do that you'll get with another OD pedal? Do you just want something to replace the OCD? Do you want an "always on" pedal or are you looking for something to stack for teh brootz? Or even venture out into ac/dc and/or van Halen territory?

3. Drumnbum

Drumnbum Member

Thanks, these are the kind of questions I need to be reminded to ask myself. I feel that the Spark is a great "always on" pedal, so I'm covered there. I enjoy VH, but don't play that type of music at all. I love AC/DC, so perhaps a Marshall thing could be a good option in terms of being the "missing link OD" sound.

4. Dunzie

Dunzie Member

I didn't like the OCD with Fender gear either... very fizzy and harsh to my ears.

With that said you have some good pedals there. The Euphoria covers off a transparent drive well, and the Moonshine is a good mid gain TS style, plus you say you like the TC for a boost. Really I guess you have to decide if your gap now is at the low gain end of things, or the higher gain. If you want to check out some versatile pedals that will give you a bit of both very well, and don't have that fizz and lack of dynamics, there's a few great ones I've had.

The Barber Gain Changer is as close to an "everyone should have one" and at a more than reasonable price too. Sounds great at virtually both ends of the drive spectrum and is a rock tone staple on a ton of people's boards. It's my least expensive pedal and it never leaves my board.

There are a couple Rockett Pedals I really love and won't suffer that fizz syndrome... the Blue Note for lower to mid gain, and the Guthrie Trapp OD for mid to higher gain. Both are fantastic with Fenders, incredibly smooth.

Not sure if you've ever considered or tried out a Klon(e) but they definitely have a cool tone thing going on that most love and some hate. I can vouch for the KTR, the Archer, the Arc Klone and the Bondi Sick As. All close enough, but have their own spin on the tone result that set them apart slightly. Maybe the Archer is the most balanced, and I like the bass boost for fullness on the Arc.

5. whatdisay

whatdisay Gold Supporting Member

I can't think of a single time one of my pedals has paid me a compliment. Bastards.

That being said, have you checked out the Dirty Little Secret pedal? Great range of Marshall-y low to mid gain sounds that can be a good match to a Euphoria

6. Drumnbum

Drumnbum Member

I had considered looking into another of the Wampler offerings AIAB - Tweed 57, Black 65, or Plexi-Drive. But I don't know if any of that is a little redundant with what I have (at first glance I would imagine they're all obviously so different that any of them would be a good bet). But I enjoy looking at other manufacturers as well. This place is great (and bad for the wallet).

7. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

The original Barber Direct Drive has a super versatile gain of ante and a nice creamy tone.
    The Xotic drives (AC Boost is my fave) have super versatile EQ sections since it is active bass/treble that can dial in more effectively than conventional tone controls. The BB Pre might be a great upgrade to an OCD if that isn't flipping your trigger.

8. Chris McKinley

Chris McKinley Member

Help with what, exactly? Many here could help you pin down a specific tone but, unfortunately, none of us have the mindreader pedal. Instead of saying what you don't want, how about providing some examples of what you do want? If you're just bored and want to spend money, buy a starter guitar and give it to charity.

9. Vox66

Vox66 Member

10. Roman4405

Roman4405 Member

I think you need a fuzz...everybody needs a fuzz. Even if you don't play a lot of high gain stuff, I don't either, being able to hit that fuzz once in a while and just tear **** up is nice. Sometimes I'll turn on one of my fuzzes and play the same stuff that I play clean just to see what comes out of it. Sometimes it's cool and other times not so much but it can be inspiring.

Plus there are some pretty good fuzzes for pretty cheap and there are about a million different types to experiment with.

11. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

The tendency I've seen around here is that folks buy stuff that doesn't fit their own musical needs simply because other people have "it" so "it" must be necessary. Looking at the elaborate rigs posted can be anxiety provoking, creating feelings of inadequacy. For me, it's grounding how many great players use far simpler rigs to achieve the tones so many people are trying to copy.

Most of us don't really need half a dozen or more drive pedals unless we're in the types of cover band that insists on exact tones, or in studio situations where we might be called upon to get a dozen different sounds in a session. If there's something you're trying to achieve and can't find it with your current gear then it's worth looking at other stuff. If not, don't waste your time with other people's standards.