• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

help me pick a drive

Derelict

please read first; i'll keep it short.

i'm the only guitarist in a 3 piece. also sing. original music that is aggressive but not metal. i prefer the sound of a boosted 5E3 or the like over a modern amp. i am not looking for a 5E3 based pedal; just using that as an example. doesn't have to be high gain as i will boost for solos.

needs:
- to clean up very well with pick attack and/or guitar volume changes.
- i probably want something just a bit fatter (think J-Lo, not honey boo-boo's mama).
- it needs good sustain and expressiveness
- will more than likely be always on
- reliable

at this point am thinking MP Sweet Honey Overdrive. clips sound just right.

what else should i check out? new lovepedal/mxr tube driver-esque pedals? boss OD3?

thanks!!!!

:phones

brn2run56

All I can talk about is what I am loving right now which is a Boss SD-1 with the Keeley
modification. Tone and sustain for days. I am boosting that with an MXR 10 band EQ.
The variations seem limitless.

I was thinking Rat at first, but you said "always on".

Now I'm thinking Barber Compact Direct Drive or Skreddy Hybrid Fuzz Driver, depending on whether you want more of a TS flavor or a FF flavor.

slap_back05

Honey Bee. For some reason, it has something that the SHOD lacks.
-or-
Timmy. You can basically EQ it/change chips to do whatever you want.

The Morning Glory most certainly will not fatten up your sound. It adds highs and cuts bass.

Jet Age Eric

I'm the singer guitarist in a three-piece that has occasion to get loud, and I like meaty low end. In the name of all that's holy, check out a SolidgoldFX Superdrive before they're all gone (he's discontinued them--I don't know why :( ). -E

tulk1

My always on in the JHS Morning Glory. Does just what you mention needing. Not that it's the only one that does it, for sure. But does it for me. Then I stack that with a Suhr Shiba for more grit.

Badfrog

What guitar/amp do you play?

I'm confused, you like a boosted 5E3 yet you don't want a 5E3 based pedal????

B-Nads

I'm sure the :mob will be out soon, but I'm still loving the Boiling Point, and it covers your needs well.

Derelict

this is what i am liking thus far. it sounds nice and fat and i can control things from my guitar. it doesn't sound muddy or too bright; sounds just right. fat yet a bit of mid focus.

Derelict

i know i know, i should just get the mad professor. i am just trying to cover my bases and see what else is out there. problem i have is that i don't have a place that carries some of the pedals mentioned here or that i am interested in. even the locl boutique shop, which carries some nice stuff, doesn't carry a lot of the nicer effecs.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom