Help Me Pick a High Gain Amp!

soundcurrent

I have the Carvin V3 combo with Vintage 30's, and I have decided I want to sell, because I am desiring an amp with lower gain. Send me a PM if you are interested. I can sell it to you for $850 and $50 for good shipping with insurance.

It has never been outside of my recording studio in the 4 months I have had it. There is absolutely no physical damage, and it only has about 35 hours of playing time on it. It is in perfect condition. I can send you pictures. Just send me a private message if you are interested. :rockin

Nergalled

Seriously, the 5150 may do a little of the EV thing, but sooo may modern metal bands use them it is ridiculous. They are a standard. Buy used, you can get a great Engl, or VHT. 5153 is a lot of cash, which you said is an issue. if you are on a budget, check out the Peavey VTM 120 with an EQ pedal will get vicious for cheap. I play metal for a living and you want to avoid the valveking for metal. JCM800 with vertical inputs is nice, but can be pricey. A Sovtek Mig 60 can be brutal, and i like it better than most JCM 800's I have played, and it has nice handwiring. Mods are available as well from FJA, Voodoo, and others that can really make thes budget amps sing, for low $. Best of luck in your search. RUN FROM THE CARVINS!!!!!!! IMHO, fizzy, and thin on high gain.

mbetter

Fender Prosonic. Killer, crazy versatile amps.

Mig 60s are awesome too. A modded one killed in that high gain shootout.

VHS analog

The 6505 Plus is one of the best metal amps I've ever used (forget about cleans though). It's the only one that could tear me away from my 100w plexi. It's crunch rhythm channel is so good, better than the new EVH amp.
BTW, Avoid the 6505 non-Plus.

amigo30

OH, sh1t. I forgot about Engl. I could totally afford and pick up a Engl Screamer 50 combo. How do you like that one?
OK, the Engl is out. With the footswitch it is almost the same price as the Mark V (witch I would much rather have).

Not sure I like Marshall, but thanks for the idea, alivegy.

No more Fenders for a while.
I used to own a Screamer 50 head. It was an extremely versatile amp with a whole lot of tones in there, most of them extremely good. I still miss it's clean channel a lot, and it could get any level of gain you wanted.

The "amp shootout" simply represents a very small portion of the tones you can get out of it. There are many, many more.

The Footswitch:

You don't need the Engl Footswitch. The Engl footswitch ties into some capabilities that are cool, but aren't necessary. For simply switching channels you can use any old el-cheapo footswitch you can find. If I remember, I think you can even plug in 2 of them simultaneosly if you need to.

Check out the manual, you can find it online, and research what the Engl Footswitch does. If you don't use it, you won't have access to their VLS (a second volume control for leads)...but you won't with most other amps you'll buy either.

I'd check that amp out a bit further for what you're talking about doing. It's a serious player that doesn't get enough respect, probably because it is not PTP, it is relatively inexpensive, and it says ENGL on the front.

I honestly regret selling mine, and would pick up another one in a heartbeat if the right opportunity shows up.

Totally Bored

Why get a AMP when you can get just a Pedal or 2 or 3 ?

I gave up on Multi-purpose built in gain amps long ago. You could say that I'm anti-dumble and NON TGP like I quess. You already have an amp with a good clean channel right ?

I get high Gain using a Deluxe Reverb and these.

I dial in the OCD for "light Bluesy" Gain, Distortion Pro for "regular" Gain and then I use the SD1 in conjunction with the OCD or the DP for that over the top nasty sustaining feedbacky solo stuff.

YMMV and it's just a suggestion.

Hendog

Seriously, the 5150 may do a little of the EV thing, but sooo may modern metal bands use them it is ridiculous. They are a standard. Buy used, you can get a great Engl, or VHT. 5153 is a lot of cash, which you said is an issue. if you are on a budget, check out the Peavey VTM 120 with an EQ pedal will get vicious for cheap. I play metal for a living and you want to avoid the valveking for metal. JCM800 with vertical inputs is nice, but can be pricey. A Sovtek Mig 60 can be brutal, and i like it better than most JCM 800's I have played, and it has nice handwiring. Mods are available as well from FJA, Voodoo, and others that can really make thes budget amps sing, for low $. Best of luck in your search. RUN FROM THE CARVINS!!!!!!! IMHO, fizzy, and thin on high gain.
Run from Carvins? Have you had the chance to play the V3? I like the versatility and the cleans from that amp.

I have considered the 6505, but I hear the cleans are terrible.

Hendog

Why get a AMP when you can get just a Pedal or 2 or 3 ?

I gave up on Multi-purpose built in gain amps long ago. You could say that I'm anti-dumble and NON TGP like I quess. You already have an amp with a good clean channel right ?

I get high Gain using a Deluxe Reverb and these.

I dial in the OCD for "light Bluesy" Gain, Distortion Pro for "regular" Gain and then I use the SD1 in conjunction with the OCD or the DP for that over the top nasty sustaining feedbacky solo stuff.

YMMV and it's just a suggestion.

That is my current route and I am not satisfied.

Hendog

I used to own a Screamer 50 head. It was an extremely versatile amp with a whole lot of tones in there, most of them extremely good. I still miss it's clean channel a lot, and it could get any level of gain you wanted.

The "amp shootout" simply represents a very small portion of the tones you can get out of it. There are many, many more.

The Footswitch:

You don't need the Engl Footswitch. The Engl footswitch ties into some capabilities that are cool, but aren't necessary. For simply switching channels you can use any old el-cheapo footswitch you can find. If I remember, I think you can even plug in 2 of them simultaneosly if you need to.

Check out the manual, you can find it online, and research what the Engl Footswitch does. If you don't use it, you won't have access to their VLS (a second volume control for leads)...but you won't with most other amps you'll buy either.

I'd check that amp out a bit further for what you're talking about doing. It's a serious player that doesn't get enough respect, probably because it is not PTP, it is relatively inexpensive, and it says ENGL on the front.

I honestly regret selling mine, and would pick up another one in a heartbeat if the right opportunity shows up.
I guess the Screamer is still an option in the back of my mind. I am just not sure about ENGL. I have never played one.

Hendog

The 6505 Plus is one of the best metal amps I've ever used (forget about cleans though). It's the only one that could tear me away from my 100w plexi. It's crunch rhythm channel is so good, better than the new EVH amp.
BTW, Avoid the 6505 non-Plus.
Yeah, that is the problem. "forget about cleans though". I cannot forget about cleans. I need them.

Phil M

Shapeshifting Member
Silver Supporting Member
That is my current route and I am not satisfied.
I did this for awhile and I agree, pedals do not sound like a good channel switcher for high gain. It wasn't bad, I just think you could do better.

My pedal rig worked better for classic rock and blues.

Trending Topics