Help me pick a looper for my looper.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Crazyquilt, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

So I've tried a number of loopers (of the sampling, not routing, variety) and I haven't found one with a transparent dry signal. So I think I need a looper for my looper. But, while I know a little bit about loopers, I don't know squat about loopers, if you see what I mean.

(Side note: I wish the two devices had different names. Makes doing searches on TGP annoying.)

So -- basically, I want a simple loop that I can place the sampler (usually an EDP) into, such that my dry signal goes straight into the amp and the EDP. I'd set the EDP for 100% wet & control the output volume with a pedal (plugged into the EDP, not in the signal line.) Then the wet signal would be sent to the amp, as well.

I'm sure this is a pretty simple, basic setup, but I'm completely ignorant, and I couldn't find a comparable setup via a search. Thanks.

2. SkyFire_ca

SkyFire_ca Member

Sounds like your looking for something to split your dry signal and then recombine the wet and dry while using a volume control to adjust the wet signal? As opposed to cutting the looper out of the loop? (I'm hating the looper/looper lingo too)
    Just from your description of your needs it sounded like a split and recombine kind of thing. You could look at a "blender" of some sort, I've seen some that use a pot on the pedal to control the wet vs dry mix... or in my short search I came upon...
    http://www.morleypedals.com/dfxb.html

that seems like almost exactly what you want, and would save you from the volume pedal, i think...

EDIT: o yea.. first post, hope it's useful...

3. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

that morley pedal is pretty sweet... but i don't know if it would be practical enough space wise on very many boards...

4. SkyFire_ca

SkyFire_ca Member

yup, definately a specialized thing, but great for "modulation chains" with old, non-tb (but beautiful sounding) pedals with no mix control...

Or a dude who wants to blend in his looper :) That, and TB-looper + volume pedal, about the same, or bigger...

actually, I'm kinda glad i found that sucker, it's givin me dirty thoughts...

5. Crazyquilt

Skyfire, that pedal actually looks like a great solution. I hadn't, for whatever reason, thought about

If I'm understanding the General Guitar box correctly, it's a simple dry or wet control -- that's the catch; I need to be able to add them together. Much as you blend in an effects bus while recording.

6. SkyFire_ca

SkyFire_ca Member

well, it looked like it'd be about right for ya, i'm guess it's priced about right (morley stuff seems reasonable) and definately cheeper than loop + volume or something like that...

and it got me thinkin about all kinds of crazy things... "distortion" swells... mixing delays, trem's ... strange things like that. lotsa crazy uses for that thing :)

there's probably other similar products, maybe something more compact. or perhaps one of the many modders out there could build something similar in a smaller casing like a dunlop or EB volume pedal casing, who knows? I've got no idea how the actual circuit works, as it's got a send level control, splits the signal and somehow recombines it without a overall level change (hopefully) but it would definately work, and sound really slick too! great way to blend in a loop over you playing, or the opposite :)

G'luck with it :dude

7. Crazyquilt

I've had some beter luck, now that I have a clue as to what search words to use.

Morley, Xotic, Barge Concepts and Radial all make blender pedals to blend wet effects into a dry signal. Right now, I'm tending towards Barge Concepts, but if the Morley actually maintains a good dry sound, that'd be good & cost effective, too!

8. Mincer

Mincer Member

I use my EDP in the aux send of a mixer...that way i can 'steal' some signals from other band members, microphones, etc and send them to the EDP without them knowing. Keeps the signal clean too.