Help me pick a new amp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bluesbreaker59, Mar 9, 2006.

1. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Supporting Member

Okay, so I've been trying to find a good amp to use with the band. I really don't like hauling my Victoria over there and having it get beat up.

We're playing pretty much just straight classic rock, with a little southern rock and a couple of Beatles tunes, plus we're writing some stuff (same type of style though)

Not looking to spend a bloody fortune, just something simple, and loud enough that sounds good. The other guitarist uses a Les Paul and a Crate V50 2x12 that is loud as hell. So I need a decent amount of volume, but don't really want anything that will break my back.

Here is what hasn't worked:

Yorkville (50 watt blue combo, bad tone, sounded "fake")
    Vox AC15CC (way too quiet)
    Marshall Bluesbreaker RI (too dark sounding, not enough volume)

Here are my immediate thoughts:

50 watt Metro amp kit and avatar 2x12 cab
    Valvetech Hayseed 30 with EF 86 and Weber blues

I really like simple amps, no channel switching, usually no master volumes either. I'm using a Heritage 535, my Tele in Open G, and my Heritage 150 in Open E (for slide).

Basically I don't want to have a similar tone to the other guy at all, and want to be loud enough to get "above him", and spend about $1,000 or there abouts.

2. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Did you try the AC30CC? It has a master, but the best way to deal with that is to nail the master open, then treat the gain like the orig AC30.

3. bluesbreaker59

Yes I have tried it, thank you for the suggestion, however this wasn't my cup of tea.

4. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

Do you still have the Bluesbreaker? B/c there are a bunch of things which can be done to increase the headroom & highs from that amp: higher output 6L6 types, Weber's ss plug-in rectifier and higher efficiency speakers with a different voicing than the Greenbacks.

If not... used Fender VibroKing? 3x10, 60w, nice reverb and trem. Or maybe a sf Bassman head, send it to Dave Allen for the $179 conversion, and a 2x12 of your choice.

5. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Member

Play a new Fender 59 Bassman LTD.......oh my! Does it ALL except metal and loves pedals. Leave it stock! Remember both Marshall and Vox built their companies off the deisgn of this amp.........the LTD is indeed very special. Also play a Dr Z Carmen Ghia or (Mazerati if you play really huge gigs) . All 3 amps will drop your jaw.
    Victor

6. bluesbreaker59

Owned a Bassman LTD, it was a bit too bright for me, always sounded like it was "missing something". The only way it sounded good was with the Volumes on 8, Treb on 2, Mids at 6-7, Bass on 5, Pres on 4-5.

The Carmen Ghia I didn't care for either.

Bluesbreaker is gone because:

1. it killed my back
    2. just didn't work for their sound

I'd love a Vibro King but they would kill my back too.

Maybe a head and cab???:confused:

7. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

you should give the orange rocker 30 and rockerverb 50 a try, i think willie's has some in stock, if i remember correctly that's where you got your bluesbreaker.

8. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Might be helpful if you gave some examples of what amps you DO like, and are excluded because of price/wattage/etc.

9. paulrocker

paulrocker Member

Keep an eye out for the new TopHat Mini-King (thats not its real name btw). Check out the specs in the tophat forum at www.tophatamps.com

10. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

How about a THD Flexi and a THD 2x12. There are one of each of those for sale right here on TGP. The THD cabs are not bad at all weight wise and sound great. The Flexi head is small and again, not really all that heavy.

Best of Luck on the search.

Peace,
    duffy

11. Keld

Keld Supporting Member

A Mesa Blue Angel? The ability to use both 6v6's and el84's simultaneously is pretty sweet.

12. bluesbreaker59

I like, in general, pretty old school simple amps (Tweeds, Marshall Plexis, AC30's), or some of the boutique stuff (Badcat, Victoria).

I don't like:

Blackface reverb combo amps
    Silverface reverb combo amps
    Master volumes (most of the time)
    Channel switching
    More than 6 knobs
    Heavy amps

Basically though for this I want something utility grade, that I don't necessarily care about getting a little dinged up.

My pedal board consists of Fulldrive 2, Klon, Dan Echo and a Boss Tuner.

I was thinking about maybe getting a BF Bassman, and a 1x15 cab or 1x12, or maybe a 2x12. I know I used to be able to find BF Bassman heads for about $500, and they are simple and very pedal friendly. I'm also leaning a lot towards buying a Tuki cover for my Victoria and just saying screw it, and then ordering a Hayseed 30.