Help me pick a reverb pedal.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by LadOfEastPoland, May 3, 2015.

1. LadOfEastPoland

LadOfEastPoland Member

I was looking for a good pedal that would give a good spring, hall, room or any other kind of vintage reverb. I want it to be for less than 120 $ on a used market. I would rather have an analog delay, but a very high quality digital one will do. I was thinking:
    -Boss FRV-1
    -TC Hall Of Fame (Heard it stops working, so that is what keeps me away slightly).
    -Malekko Spring Chicken

Help?
    I know I posted this yestarday, but now I am kind of more specific now. I would like to sound like that guitar:

Cheers!

2. LadOfEastPoland

LadOfEastPoland Member

I think Hall of Fame is the best choice, but I read a lot of reviews on Musician's Friend that it stops working forever very often.

3. halfmanhalfgear

halfmanhalfgear Member

Sub Decay's Super Spring Theory.

I don't recommend the Boss FRV-1 at all! I found it way too harsh sounding and it sounded very artificial (always the same reberb tail - not dependant upon playing).

Hardwire / Digitech's Supernatural is nice too.

Peace,

Rob.

4. Turi

Turi Member

Hardwire RV-7 should have you covered. It's got all those types of reverbs you're after in spades.

You say you'd rather have an analogue delay, but a digital one is fine - do you mean reverb here?

An analogue reverb would be, well, real reverb - right?
    As in, stick a mic in a room somewhere and record the whole room sound, perhaps combined with a mic closer to the amp for that sound too.

I never knew 'analogue' reverb was a thing pedals can do... I can only assume that's what you mean because this thread is about reverbs.

5. LadOfEastPoland

LadOfEastPoland Member

OK. So only digital. Didn't quite realize there wasn't such a thing such as an analog reverb. Thought it works the same as delay.

EVERYBODY, ONLY DIGITAL!!!!!!!

6. Turi

Turi Member

Hey, there might be, I don't know.

It doesn't make sense in my brain cavity though. I don't know how it would work.

7. LadOfEastPoland

LadOfEastPoland Member

Thanks Rob. I afraid, though that the pedals you suggested do not sit in my price range...

8. yoyo1983

yoyo1983 Member

There are many "real" spring reverb pedals (tanks) out there...

I like: malekko spring chicken
    Catalinbread talisman

9. Classic09

Classic09 Member

No one recommends the Nuenarber Wet?

I have the HOF mini.

10. LadOfEastPoland

LadOfEastPoland Member

Guys, I want under 120 $.

11. halfmanhalfgear

halfmanhalfgear Member

You're very welcome. Sorry, I mistakenly thought you were in the U.S. because you wrote in dollars! -I should have read your user name closer too! ;)

I'm also in Europe and yes, they would cost shed loads to bring over in import taxes and postage......

Peace,

Rob.

12. LadOfEastPoland

LadOfEastPoland Member

Wish Poland starts using € soon.

13. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

The Wet is an awesome unit, but definitely not in the vintage verb style the OP is seeking. The Spring Theory gets great reports. I use the 60's mode on the Flint and it has a great bounce. I understand how hard it would be to achieve that in a less expensive unit. The TC could do the trick. The tone is there. I have not had reliability issues with the various TC units I have had, but the minis seem more susceptible to ridicule and its possibly justified.
    The newer TC full sized units seem solid enough and the TonePrint function should allow for you to end up with exactly the tone you want.

14. LadOfEastPoland

LadOfEastPoland Member

TC HOF Mini seems great! There is also Mooer ShimVerb for the same price that gets fantastic reviews.

15. <JT>

<JT> Member

I bought a HOF for a mate of mine and had the chance to play with it for a couple of weeks. I thought it was a seriously good sounding pedal regardless of the price! Heaps of versatile vintage and modern tones in there.

16. jordane93

jordane93 Member

17. twp

twp Likes guitars; loves music... Silver Supporting Member

For under $120 you can't go wrong with a Boss RV-5. I have a Descent as my main reverb but it only has shimmer and hall. The RV-5 is so good I also keep it on my board and frequently use it for spring, plate, and gated reverb, as well as different voices of hall and modulated verb.

HOF and Trinity also sound amazing but I also hear about periodic failures and the switches just didn't persuade me about their reliability. They might be great, but they didn't feel great....

18. willc68

willc68 Member

The Cathedral is out of your price range unless you get a good deal used.
    This has been my go to for a few years.
    You should be able to find an old big box Holy Grail or Holier Grail in your price range and I was happy with these when I used them.

Never tried the TC HOF but if it is same quality sounds as the Flashback that would be a nice choice too.

19. Adelbatross

Adelbatross Member

I've heard so many stories about the Hall of Fame breaking down on them, sometimes in the middle of a gig.

Based on what you mentioned, can't go wrong with a Dr Scientist Reverberator. Awesome reverb pedal, covers all the bases, and handmade in Canada. Dr Scientist makes nothing but awesome pedals!!

20. LadOfEastPoland

LadOfEastPoland Member

That one is hell expensive :(