Help me pick a set of P90's!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by plagtr2, Aug 28, 2006.

1. plagtr2

plagtr2 Silver Supporting Member

Figured I would try to tap into the knowledge here & see what everyone thinks I should go with on a pair of P90's. They will end up in a Dillion L/P Gold Top copy, running through my Heritage Colonial (thanks Danocaster!), set up to crunch like a Plexi. More dirt than clean, but not a heavy metal tone. Put a Carb or a Sex Drive in front quite a bit. I am thinking a medium output--not weak & clean, but not dark & compressed either. Open to any opinions or thoughts on this. So far, my short list is Lollar, Stephens, & Wolfetone.
    THANKS SO MUCH!

2. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I'm waiting on my set of Lollars right now. I've done the search and found that I really like Duncan Antiquity's, but I really want the reverse wound sound that I can get in the middle position, which is why I went with Lollars. Vintage Vibe P-90's also sound wonderful, but they do not fit the small cavity in my Gibson 56 Les Paul reissue.

3. MaxBoogie

MaxBoogie Member

I'm most likely going with a set of Kent Armstrongs. As son of the famous Dan Armstrong, Kent's been in the business for a long time and I've heard great things about them, but since I don't have them yet, I can only give your 3rd party info. http://www.wdmusic.com/kent_armstrong_pickups_13468_ctg.htm

4. rex kwon do

rex kwon do Member

I think the deciding factor should be price, because there are several companies that make very good sounding P-90's. My order would be:

1. Lollar
    2. Lindy Fralin
    3. Duncan Antiquity

You can't go wrong with any of those - with the edge going to the Lollar.

Believe the hype.....

5. Dana-L

Dana-L Supporting Member

I recently installed a pair of humbucker-sized P-90's from www.vintagevibeguitars.com into a PRS McCarty rosewood and I'm quite pleased.

Pete Biltoft is the proprietor and he will customize them just for you, if you wish. I had mine built with tapped coils that I activate with the push/pull switch that is built into the tone knob on humbucker-equipped McCarty's.

Good luck!

-Dana