Help me pick an amp for the other guitar player in my band.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Schuyler Lane, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Schuyler Lane

Schuyler Lane Member

Okay,

I have a great guitar player in my band, fantastic lead player and all around great guy. Problem is he isnt into gear that much, plays an old fender cyber twin (the part tube part solid state one where the knobs move automaticly) that is starting to take a dump on him. He has had it for abou 10 years or so and has finally admitted that he should start looking for a new amp. Like i said he isnt into his gear that much and doesnt know about a lot of gear in general. He has come to me basicly saying, which amp should i buy? Budget is around 1000-1500 tops. Not really sure if he would rather have a head or a combo, but post anything you think fits. I know he wants at least 3 or 4 channels.

He is into pretty much everything except new metal/hard rock. Is very much into classic rock and country. In our band we play mainly 90's rock i.e gin blossums, early foo fighters, collective soul.

The one of the first thing that popped into my mind was the marshall jvm410h, as you can pick one of these up for around 1K or so. One thing he has told me is he loves my head (mesa road king) but doesnt want a mesa cause he thinks our tone will sound to much a like and.

Bring on the suggestions

Ps: I know tone is a subjective thing and lots of people will post he needs to go down and play whatever sounds best to him, however we live in a small town, the local music stores carry low end amps (line 6 and vox modelers) pretty much nothing with tubes in it, wanted to get started with some suggestions then we will make a trip to a bigger town with better gear.

2. QQQ

QQQ Member

The Marshall you mentioned would be a good choice. You could also pick up an Egnater Tourmaster for a good deal used.

3. modernp

modernp Member

Classic 50 will cover just about anything.

4. CincinnatiSi

CincinnatiSi Member

5. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

I'll play along...Blackface Fender (you choose watts) and 2 overdrive pedals for his "3-4 channels." Great clean base tone for country that gets crunchy with each flavour of OD... and markedly different from your mesa tone.
    Barnzy

6. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

Orange Rockerverb 50 would be nice.....has verb and loop for solo boosts.

If you don't need a Loop the Dual Terror is really a GREAT amp

7. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

8. tvegas99

tvegas99 Silver Supporting Member

without designating ideal wattage it's a harder game to play... VHT Sig X if you think you need big iron and many channels... game over

very versatile and has 3 channels each with a boost

ps: notice that stratzrus and I posted at the same time...you have a brilliant mind stratzrus... go Phils!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  9. Ugh

Ugh Supporting Member

Huh huh...he likes your head.

Sorry......I really have nothing constructive to add here.

10. doc

doc Member

Classic rock and country - I'd look for a vintage silverface Fender, probably 20 to 60 watts (Deluxe up to Bassman range), get it serviced by a good tech (recap, adjust, etc.). Get the drive pedal of your choice - pretty much what Barnzy said.

If he's more into a little amp grind, look into vintage Traynors.

11. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

The JVM410H is both underwhelming and overwhelming (tone and knobs, respectively), IMHO.

How loud are you guys? That will dictate a lot of your options.

Off the bat I'll throw out a Bogner Shiva. Great all around channel switcher, if you're into that.

If you're not I'd say grab a Dr. Z Maz 38 and color with pedals as you wish.

12. Dale

Dale Member

Super Sonic?

13. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Supporting Member

I always advocate this amp because I think it sounds so awesome for the price. The Vox AC50cph can often be found for about $600-$800 bucks used (used to be about 500-600), and has two channels, and sound pretty good in my opinion...check some videos on youtube. Another option would be an AC30

14. stratzrus

Did you guys miss where the OP said "I know he wants at least 3 or 4 channels"?

All the amps you mentioned are very nice...just not what his band mate wants.

15. GEN DAWG

GEN DAWG Silver Supporting Member

I tend to agree with this approach. Not sure how much your guy needs in terms of wattage, but I would pick something with a nice, solid clean tone and add some killer pedals. For cleans, I would look for a used Goodsell Super 17 or 33, or a blackface-style amp, as has been mentioned. Then, seriously, get a Jetter Red Square (or another dual pedal) for your classic overdrive tones, and something nastier for the 90s rock stuff (a fuzz? Big Muff? One of the Wampler pedals?). Way inside your man's budget and super flexible.

16. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

Egnater Tourmaster? I would suggest a Bogner Ecstacy but that's out of his budget range. If he's a great player I imagine he'd have no trouble making a Marshall JVM sound great. That's a LOT of amp for the $$$ on the used market.

17. stratzrus

Your agreement aside, the OP is asking for recommendations for channel switchers. I'm sure his guitarist knows that single channel amps with pedals are an option but apparently doesn't want to go that route.

Why is it that when people ask for advice we recommend what we'd like to use even if it has nothing to do with the topic at hand?

I could have just as easily recommended an Axe FX...not what the guy wants though.

18. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

I've had the Sig:X, Shiva and have a JVM (which I just listed in the emporium).

The Sig:X and JVM are versatile. Both have great cleans and crunch, and the ability to get heavy for modern stuff. Either one of these amps are perfect for clean, light breakup, crunch and heavy stuff.
    The Marshall has that Marshall sound, feel and attack. Love it.
    There is more gain on the OD channels of the JVM than I think your friend would ever need. Many people love the OD1 Orange channel. Plenty of versatility with 12 modes, versatile effects loop, awesome footswitch, perfect gigging amp for a cover band. Sounds great low volumes, better when cranked.
    The Bogner Shiva is a great amp with a beautiful clean channel, that stays clean until the amp is really cooking. The drive side is it's own thing, soft attack, prominent low mids, not enough gain for metalish stuff, but plenty for classic rock. The drive channel could be frustrating sometimes, and I think it is really best for singing leads.
    A DSL50 can be had for $500-700 and can cover the basics pretty well. The shared eq and being unable to switch from clean to crunch are the downers to that amp.

19. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Supporting Member

Ah, I did miss that part. I'll revise my recommendation then, and I second the Egnater Tourmaster.

20. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I agree