Help me pick an amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by semi hollaback, Feb 29, 2012.

1. semi hollaback

semi hollaback Member

Here's where I'm at: I play a semi hollow PRS.. a pretty dark guitar that can be finicky between getting amp settings that agree with all 3 pickups, and also at getting smooth OD tones that aren't "fizzy." I play primarily funk/rnb/soul/hip hop, but I'm a professional and end up playing everything. I currently have a blues deluxe reissue and its just terrible in every way possible.

I'm trying to spend between $1000-2000.. I'd be happy with a clean channel that would take my BB preamp and not make it fizzy, but having multiple functional channels would be cool too. Pretty much my 3 main tones are-- clean, little bit of crunch (scofield/krasno tone) and sustaining smooth lead (trey).

So far I've tried: mesa express 5:50-- thought the cleans were really good, OD channel was really harsh.. didn't agree with my guitar at all. Returned it.

Lonestar classic: sounds pretty good to me, didn't get a chance to really try it with pedals in front.. but its pretty heavy and I have an intense tour schedule this summer that I'm not looking forward to hauling this around for.. but I will if it results in the best tone.

Silverface Vibrolux (forget the year).. Really enjoyed the clean tone.. definitely bright and favors my neck pickup but it was nice-- but the OD sound was "fizzy" and I'm not sure these have a lot of headroom.

Tone King Imperial-- cleans were solid, not the tightest bass compared to LSC, but this is the only amp I've tried that resulted in smooth OD with pedals in front.. no "hair" or "fizz" which has been driving me crazy.

Other things on my radar that I haven't tried.. Fender twin, Dr Z maz sr, divided by 13 (only local dealership that sells these are out)

I'm pretty much willing to try anything to find something that will click with my guitar as long as there's a strong argument for it and I can test it out in the LA area... any help would be appreciated.

Let me know if there's anything I can make clearer

2. Scooter Burbank

Scooter Burbank Member

I would go to Truetone Music in Santa Monica and try out ALL of their amps -- even the ones that are not on your radar. This should narrow things down for you considerably. Bring in your own guitar.

3. JoeC

JoeC Member

Check out the PRS H amp. Clips with Nick Moroch on the PRS website are really true to life. I've been using one for 6 months and love it. It really handles pedals well. I set the Lead channel to a Carlton type light over drive and a BB for my singing type of solo sound in the clean channel. Get the head and use a good 1x12 or 2x12 cab, the combo is very heavy.

4. semi hollaback

semi hollaback Member

I did that for about 2 hrs today, definitely plan on doing that some more! Thanks

I'll look into it, thank you!

edit: sounds really good on lead... but how're the cleans/clean headroom?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  5. guitarpedaladdict

guitarpedaladdict Supporting Member

Kind of at the upper end of your budget, but the two rock studio pros are getting rave reviews and sound like they would fit your needs and wants very well. Might be a used one on the emporium.

6. semi hollaback

semi hollaback Member

Right now the two amps I'm most considering are the tone king imperial and mesa boogie lonestar.

my pros and cons of each:

mesa boogie
    pro: very responsive EQ.. makes all 3 of my pickups sound full and useable as rhythm or lead tones.
    lots of headroom
    two channels

con: heavy,
    sounds kind of sterile and cold compared to other amps.

imperial:
    pro: light!!
    has "soul", responsive tones that make me play better.

cons: expensive for the size
    not a ton of headroom
    no master volume

I understand they're completely different but if anyone has any input on either I would appreciate it!

7. ian c

ian c Supporting Member

morgan .
    obviously .

8. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

There's a Carr Slant 6V on ebay now at a very good price. I have no idea who the seller is. Great amp in your price range.

good demo

9. semi hollaback

semi hollaback Member

I'm dubious of both buying a used amp on ebay, and buying an amp I haven't played in person.

I'm going to need you to use more words.

10. FFTT

FFTT Member

If you like black face Fender tones in general, but want a new hand wired amp,
    I'd suggest the Gries 35.

If that won't cut it for headroom, the Reeves Custom 50

Both are professional grade and roadworthy.