Help me pick an Analog Delay: Analogman ARDX20 or something else?

Name & Earth

So, I am looking for a nice analog delay pedal to complement my Strymon El Capistan.

I've been looking at the Analogman ARDX20.
It just sounds fantastic...

but it poses a couple potential issues...

Namely, the fact that it has no built-in Modulation or Tap Tempo.
Yes, yes, I know - I can get those features if I buy an external Amazeo box. However, I'm not going to do that. It's too cumbersome and takes up too much room on my board. Don't try to convince me otherwise haha. My mind's made up where that's concerned. Not an option; not doing it.
That being said, I can get over the lack of Tap Tempo. I realize that most analog delays simply don't have it. The lack of modulation is what really kills me. If the Analogman does indeed really sound that good, I could possibly get over it and just compensate by throwing on a modulated reverb with my Blue Sky or relying on the El Capistan for the more modulated sounds. Still, I'd much prefer to have modulation just built into the same box - especially considering how much the pedal is.

So here's my question:

Is there an analog delay that sounds as good (or better) than the Analogman ARDX20 that includes Modulation? (Tap Tempo is an added bonus).
Also - not a big fan of tweaker pedals. I'd like something relatively simple.

A few that have caught my interest:

- JHS Panther Cub
- Malekko Ekko 616 MkII
- EHX Memory Man variants
- Diamond Memory Lane 1
- Walrus Audio Bellwether

I'm certainly open to more suggestions - those are just the ones that I know of.

Any comparisons, reviews, advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Sun Creature

I would look at the EHX DMM then. It was my go-to analog delay for a while.

I personally think the XO sounds just as good as the big box. I have tried the original DMM-TT with Panasonic MN3005's and liked it but could not justify the price.

willem

You said DML(2), you got it. You said that you don't want to loose too much space on your board too. This one is big but that sound...

Name & Earth

You said DML(2), you got it. You said that you don't want to loose too much space on your board too. This one is big but that sound...

I'd make an exception here - mainly given that everything is in one nice box.

EDIT:
Oooff... Nevermind on those Memory Lane 2's... $600 used? No thanks...

Last edited:

Black_Label

Silver Supporting Member
Haha this is the definition of a tweaker pedal. Not really my thing.
You can sit there and tweak the Tonal Recall or just dial it in and use it. I'm not a huge tweaker, but I dialed in a couple of presets when I got mine and haven't messed with it since. It's a great sounding pedal.

The ardx-20 sounds wonderful. It's dark and mushy and has no frills.

The Maxon ad-999 is another great sounding analog delay. No modulation, but has the best oscillation and decay of just about any analog delay ever made. It's naturally so great sounding that you don't really miss the lack of mod.

If you're really into modulation, the Deluxe Memory Man is the way to go. It's probably the winner for best modulated delay ever. The xo model is fantastic. If you need tap tempo or more control, the new tt1100 is awesome.

Name & Earth

If you're really into modulation, the Deluxe Memory Man is the way to go. It's probably the winner for best modulated delay ever. The xo model is fantastic. If you need tap tempo or more control, the new tt1100 is awesome.

Sadly, EHX recently ran out of the MN3005 chips that give the DMM it's distinctly rich sound. They switched over to Xvive chips instead and now the pedal sounds nowhere near as good. Sadly the difference is not a subtle one either. The new ones just kinda suck.

Black_Label

Silver Supporting Member
Sadly, EHX recently ran out of the MN3005 chips that give the DMM it's distinctly rich sound. They switched over to Xvive chips instead and now the pedal sounds nowhere near as good. Sadly the difference is not a subtle one either. The new ones just kinda suck.
Don't let TGP hype fool you. The xvive chips are just as good as the Panasonic ones. I've owned (and still own) both. There's a little bit of difference in every DMM but there's no 'special mojo' to the Panasonic chips other than what's coming from the guys who happen to be selling original DMM tt1100s for double what you can buy a brand new pedal for. If you really think the difference is that dramatic, then it's pretty easy to pick up a $650 3-year old DMM. But there really ain't no difference.

Name & Earth

Damn... I didn't know the old ones went for that much... I watched a few video comparisons and heard a pretty stark difference though. The new DMM's did not sound as full or rich, and lacked a lot of the articulation and detail in the repeats. The modulation also sounded muddy, comparatively. Maybe there really isn't a difference if you're able to match them in person, but there was a pretty big difference in the comparisons I watched.

DewieCox

I hardly ever used the modulation with my ARDX/Amazeo. Couldn't tell it was on most of the time tbh. But I can tell you that the delay pedal sounds amazing and is incredibly intuitive, with the 2 sets of controls that switch seamlessly.

hamerman55

Silver Supporting Member
I would add the Way Huge Echo Puss to the list. For some reason (the graphics?) this pedal gets little love on TGP. If you don't "have" to have a big box DMM, this pedal is pretty much a DMM in my opinion. I had a late model DMM the size/sound ratio just didn't make it worth using on a regular basis. I've been thinking about trying the Xvive, too. But I can strongly recommend the Echo Puss.

bondieffects

I love the Diamond Memory Lane 2. Fantastic sounding analog delay with great features. I also love and currently use the ChaseBliss Tonal Recall with my Strymon El Cap. You can't go wrong with either of these choices!

Name & Earth

Right now, the Memory Lane 2 is my first choice. They just seem hard to find at a decent price right now. Guess I'll just have to be patient and snag one up when I get the chance.

Regarding the price - looks like they generally do go for $300-$400.

Funny123

Right now, the Memory Lane 2 is my first choice. They just seem hard to find at a decent price right now. Guess I'll just have to be patient and snag one up when I get the chance.

Regarding the price - looks like they generally do go for $300-$400.
You're not saving much space by going this route - I thought that was one of your major concerns?

Name & Earth

You're not saving much space by going this route - I thought that was one of your major concerns?

True. Really, It's more the annoyance of having two separate boxes that bothers me - more so than the space issue. Plus, I just didn't want every other person just saying "Get an Amazeo!". I can make the space for the ML2 if need be.

How about if it just sounds like analog?

Skreddy Echo?

-bEn r.

There's nothing wrong with analog emulation, but I already have a pedal that does that - the El Capistan. Not to mention that it's also a Tape Echo like the Skreddy. It's a great sounding pedal, but would be pretty redundant I think.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom