Help Me Pick -- Fetto Dlx or KOTB for Blackface

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SFLP, Feb 23, 2008.

1. SFLP

SFLP Supporting Member

Trying to decide on a new od/distortion for Marshall tones playing through a vintage Fender Princeton Reverb. So far, I am leaning towards the Fetto Dlx or King of the Britains. Any others? Please help me decide.

2. FAC

FAC Member

Have you tried the Zvex box of rock? I chose that over KOTB for the one sound I was after, although KOTB has more variability if that is what you're after.

3. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

cmatmods brownie at fr8_trane specs. 130 bucks of pure heaven. end of search. . . for me. . .

4. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too. Silver Supporting Member

Gotta say the KOTB based on my experience. I've had both and still own the KOTB.

First off, let me say that the Fetto Dlx is a really nice pedal, but for me it just didn't have the mids available to make my blackface-style amp do the Marshall thing.

Plus, it really irritated me that the boost couldn't be used separately and that it always gave a volume boost (as opposed to just a distortion boost). I like that the KOTB boost can be used on its own to boost other pedals or the amp, and that you can just get a big gain boost if you want.

So, for a blackface amp, the KOTB definitely has my vote for the best sounding and most versatile.

5. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

6. selahvie

selahvie Member

KOTB, Hands Down. I've never played a Fetto, but I've had a BOR. It's gone and the KOTB remains. Great pedal all-around.

7. beni

beni Member

I owned KOTB, BOR and Fetto Dlx..

In my Opinion, Fetto is the best.. Fetto has the most amp like sounding but BOR has the best boost pedal compare to 3 of them..

Hope it helps..

8. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I've also owned a Fetto Deluxe, KotB (6 and 7 knob versions) and Box of Rock (USA). Still have the Fetto Dlx. and it's my desert island pedal. Like beni, I feel it's the most amplike / dynamic / natural sounding of the three. The KotB is really a close second, but IMO the highs were a little smoother (7 knob) it sounded a little less open, and the EQ controls weren't as 'powerful'. Little higher noisefloor as well when going for higher gain.

The Box of Rock is a great, warm sounding OD for low gain. But when you start cranking it, the highs start getting a little shrill and the lows start smearing. And side-by-side with something like the KotB or Fetto Dlx., it sounds like a compressed distortion pedal. Very nice boost though, but if you want that, then just grab a SHO.

Hi BAN!! I know we've heard things completely oppositely ;) . To me, the mid switch on the Fetto Dlx. (flat / boosted) gave plenty of mids and thickening although I usually run with that switch in the 'flat' mode. Granted, the only Fenders I've used it with were a '67 (blackface) Bassman, '76 Twin, HR Dlx. and HR DeVille. I don't think any of them are quite as thin sounding as a Deluxe Reverb, but the Fetto Dlx. sounded full and Marshall Super Lead-y through all of them.

-Ben

9. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

I compared extensively.
    BOR: too much bass, can't be dialed out.
    Fetto: GREAT, but a little bit more processed sounding. Tweaking inside is a hassle. Never played the DLX version.
    KOTB (8 knob): most like a real plexi, my favorite.

10. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

Had the BoR and Fetto Dlx...i found the Fetto to be more toneful and easier to get a 'tone' out of than the BoR or any other Marshall in a box style of pedal.