Help me pick my first monitors

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Gigbag, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

I am getting a digital multitrack and would like to get active monitors for home studio recording of my own music. I have always used headphone in the past, and I am just getting into this again after years of not recording.

I have $300 to spend and am considering the following:

KRK RP5 Rockit, $298 pr

Behringer B2030A, $279 pr

Alesis M1 Active 520, $199 pr

Any comments or other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. meterman

meterman Supporting Member

3. bchamorro

bchamorro Member

4. Zero Point

Zero Point Member

In my opinon the order of awesome-ness in monitors go in this order:

ATC SCM-150A SL(I think they are $20k a pair ;) ) They aren't near-field but who cares I have to mention them ;) I want a pair so bad... maybe if I win the lotto...

Near-Fields: Genelec, JBL, KRK, Mackie, Yamaha ... in that order of manufacturers.

-ZP

5. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

Yes, I read that thread yesterday. Thanks. I couldn't find the KRKs as cheap as $200, but I liked the features. I will probably go with those since I can't spend $20,000.

6. retro

retro Member

I've had to use the KRK RP5's for several months now on a project in several different rooms and they are quite difficult to work with for me.

I know this is subjective.

But I certainly would not recommend them...

I know Warren Dent is a fan of the Tascam of VL-X5's, don't know if they are still available or if the new VL-A5's are in the same league. The X5's are still listed at:

http://www.frontendaudio.com/Tascam_VL_X5_Active_Monitors_Pair_p/8062.htm

A friend has them and I certainly understand Warren's enthusiasm for them compared to the RP5's.

7. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

Thanks Retro. Maybe I will look a little more.

8. melondaoust

melondaoust Member

+1 for the RP5's - love my set!

9. DualRectifier

DualRectifier Member

Pair of used Event TR8s.

I have a pair of HR824s coming, and briefly considered selling my TR8s, but I've decided to keep them. They're just too good. Prices are down to $250 each new, which is an easy $300 used for a pair. No comparison to any of the monitors mentioned so far.

10. stump

stump Member

I have the Behringer 2031A and my friend has the KRK RP 8. They both work well, sound good and are reasonably priced. I like having the 8 vs 5 inch speakers for a little more lows. I got mine for $269 and I think my friend about the same.

11. Zero Point

Zero Point Member

I have been using the HR824's for well over a year now. Observations must be made ;) :

They have a WIDE listening field. I'm not kidding, these things image all over the place. They sound more like mains than near fields.

My suggestion on using them is rather simple though. Headphones. Use a set of phones, possibly the MDR7506's, for your stereo imaging and panning. The HR's will seperate out things you have never heard before, so they are VERY useful. But yeh, use phones to do stereo imaging :)

-ZP

12. scottlr

scottlr Member

I have the KRK RP8s, and they have plenty of low end. If I were going for the RP5s, I'd get the sub, too. THAT would be a great first monitoring system imho.

13. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

Thanks. I ended up ordering the KRK RP5s last night, with the thought of adding a sub if I need it.

14. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

The KRK Rockit 5s and Zoom HD16CD recorder arrived last night. The monitors sound great, and I was having a blast recording a couple hours last night.

There is a lot to learn, but the Zoom is pretty easy to get into. For me, this was the right choice after not enjoying computer based recording (despite the many powerful features). I just like the hands-on access to 16 tracks, with everything integrated.

So far I just cranked out a few practice tunes using the onboard effects for guitar tones. They are decent, and fun for getting ideas down quickly. But, I will definately be working with mic'd amps next.

After trying it out, I read 100 of the 240 page manual. You can get started with reading a couple pages, but there more to take advantage of.

Thanks for all the comments.

15. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

I've got a set of SCM-50A's....fantastic monitors. Very neutral, immense dispersion (they can image off axis like you wouldn't believe).

In the near field, don't forget about Adam, Quested, Reference3, and Paradigm. When I last auditioned near fields I wasn't crazy about Genelecs, or Mackies, and I hated the KrKs. I ended up with Event 20/20bas, but now I'd like to swap them for something with a 6" driver. Probably, I'll end up with paradigms.

My advice for the OP is....get out there and listen...don't let price, and internet forums be your only deciding factors.

Cheers

Kris