Help me pick my new "dirt" pedal:

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Banditt, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Banditt

Banditt Supporting Member

I'm happy with my clean "always on", and love my lead sound...just missing that dirty/crunch in-between sound.

Humbuckers/slit coil PRS
    Clean: Scott Henderson RC-Boost: Right channel always on, left channel I use for "more".
    Lead: The Dude. Nails the Blue-line Robben Ford sound that that I go for.
    Fuzz/thick: Analogman Sunbender. Love it, but needs to be first in line for my ears, so not best option for mid-crunch..

Just missing that mid-crunch dirty sound...think David Grissom. Crunch and overdrive when slammed, but cleans up when volume is rolled off.

I have, and not happy with: Xotic AC-boost, Xotic BB for this purpose...

Thinking of: Jetter Grissom
    JHS Andy Timmons or angry Charley
    Rockett .45 Caliber: Love the Rockett pedals, but just sure if the marshall in a box thing is what I'm after. I don't care much for the BB in my rig, which seems to be similar in aim.

I Use a Carr Viceroy....A Fendery Princeton-type boutique that I love.....

I've thought about maybe a second RC-boost...has anyone tryed stacking two together? Absolutely love the transparency.....I'm a Grissom freak, but just not sure how the Jetter would response on a Fender style.

Let's hear your thoughts?

2. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

I know it's almost become cliche at this point, but I think a ProCo Fat Rat at 18v with an LM301 could do the job. I believe the Fat Rat is based on a White Face Rat, so it's a little different than a Rat 2.

DirtLover and monty like this.
  3. Banditt

C'mon....anybody got any advice on the Jetter, or anything else? I've done a dive on the Gearpage mentions....looking for more. Rockett 45? JHS Andy Timmons?

4. Thoughtpolice

Thoughtpolice Member

As much as I experiment with other pedals, and it's not exactly the same as the Grissom, the Jetter gold standard is my go to. Gigged regularly through a drink, prrri, now a super reissue and a Morgan ac20. Good at home volume and kills at band volume.

Banditt likes this.
  5. Thoughtpolice

Thoughtpolice Member

Drink was my phone autocorrecting from drri... It knows me better than I know myself.

Banditt likes this.
  6. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

Have no experience with Jetter, and don't think the JHS pedals will get you that tone. Could be wrong though. I am basing my Fat Rat suggestion on the tone in this video.

Particularly some of the tones he was getting at the 5-7 minute portion of the video.

7. Thoughtpolice

Thoughtpolice Member

I believe the Jetter pedals all pretty much built around the same tone foundation. Marshall and Dumble. Believe Brad Jetter was involved in Dumble as an engineer or something. They are brighter and less compressed than the j rockett dude.

Banditt likes this.
  8. Banditt

After your comment, searched and THIS caught my attention! He's using a Carr Viceroy in this demo...My amp. More drive than I would use...but definately into the grissom territory. Is this an accurate representation? Thanks for anuy input....

ChampReverb likes this.
  9. DirtLover

DirtLover Member

10. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

I've mentioned it twice; he's not interested and has ignored it, despite the fact I think it would sound quite a bit like the tone Grissom has in the video I posted with the right settings.

monty and DirtLover like this.
  11. Banditt

Thanks...I'm looking into the Rat. I may have had a bad impression of it due to previous experience, but I'll give it another listen.

monty and DirtLover like this.
  12. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

Fat Rat. It's a bit less fuzzy/hairy. I think I can get something in the vicinity of the Grissom tone in the video above with the Fat Rat, LM301 op amp (got mine from Small Bear; make sure you grab an extractor or whatever they call it as well), and possibly an Ibanez Tube Screamer (or something in that ballpark), though it probably isn't necessary. Honestly, you might not even need the LM301 op amp and extractor or the TS. Just the Fat Rat at 18v.

Banditt likes this.
  13. 71strat

71strat Member

King of Tone
    Klon KTR
    Jetter Grissom Sig Drive

Spellbound and Banditt like this.
  14. jjhookemup

jjhookemup Member

Man, check out the demos on the new Revv g2...awesome!! Perfect crunch tones, best I’ve heard. It can cover a lot of bases too. Just ordered one today.:beer

Banditt likes this.
  15. Thoughtpolice

Thoughtpolice Member

Absolutely, that's the jetter tone, the gain seems to have a wider range then most but low gain should work well. The Altair I think would be best of the bunch. I know the 2 channels on the gold standard stack PERFECTLY.

Zappatalist and Banditt like this.
  16. scopa

scopa Member

Analogman Astrotone and Myriad both have as much range from harmonic cleans to grit to fuzz... I am really surprised by how both respond to their dials a the vol knob

Banditt likes this.
  17. DirtLover

DirtLover Member

I am, admittedly, a RAT fanboy but I was just being a bit snarky and think all "dirt" related questions can be answered with "Rat" without actually reading what the OP is searching for - there are degrees of truth there. I also don't don't posses the nuanced ear that tells me this pedal does this, that pedal does that, only if it's from a certain vintage, the ones with this paint scheme, etc... etc... I do know a RAT works well for me and there are other excellent options out there. Heck, my amp distortion is pretty dang sweet by itself! I also like my Scarab Deluxe and '69 MkII. I tend to stick with what's working and try not to get into the perpetual rotation of gear. But now @LordThurisaz has me thinking about picking up a FatRat...
    Whatever it is you do @Banditt enjoy the journey and report back on your awesome newfound tones.

P.s. Maybe I should change my name to RATLover or RodentBoy...

18. Banditt

Yeah it's definately an adventure. I'm old enough to remember when I had a Ibanez tube screamer, which was a cheap "not-cool" enty level pedal. Got it with my first Les Paul Copy and crappy Hohner practice amp. It was entry-level. We had original big Muff's laying around like extra pics...Things changed!. I had an original Mxr Distortion +, I went out and got a Chandler tube driver after seeing Eric Johnson in a small club. Point is I guess that all of these things were the exact same pedal when they wern't cool... just tastes and perceptions change. That tube screamer just didn't work when I was playing Hard Rock through a Marshall stack...but years later Stevie found a use for it, didn't he? Ha!

I'm always open to revisit any pedal that I once found wouldn't work for me at THAT TIME....who knows? Rock on!.....

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    DirtLover likes this.
  19. stutter chugg

stutter chugg Member

Banditt and LordThurisaz like this.