• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Help me pick my next amp(s) - $3400 budget

cg

Gold Supporting Member
Are you keeping the RSA 23?

If so, you have a good cab already covered, so it's easier just looking for
a head that does what the RSA23 doesn't do.
I am not - had to sell to fund the next amp.

cg

Gold Supporting Member
+10000000

Agreed all the way....I just about bought an AST a week or so ago, then a used SST fell into my lap the day before yesterday. Freaking awesome amp. For roots rock style tones it might be one of the best I've heard -easlily the best I've owned. Does all the AST stuff with a bit more oomph and you can run different cabs. I was never into reverb until this amp came aong, and the tube driven tremelo is just unreal.

For compact stuff though - the AST is a winner and easily the coolest looking amp I've ever seen in person. Check out Greg V's clips of the AST:

http://www.swartamps.com/sounds-AST_greg_v.htm
http://www.swartamps.com/

The SST is a perfect compliment to my Aiken Intruder head.

Steve E
Is this an SST? http://cgi.ebay.com/Swart-Atomic-Sp...ryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

* velcro-fly *

Silver Supporting Member
Good lord that is a killer looking rig! I guess I just missed one on ebay. Do they come up often?

I love the clips!
I saw that one, it went quick as there are very few that come up used...that AST in the link you posted is almost local to you , Duluth anyway ;)

The clips that Greg V did are killer, big suprise there though. I had the SST going at 11:00 last night with the kids asleep and just the sweetest Tele tones at low volume too. The SST has a master volume.

Heinz W

Genuine '66 Relic
Platinum Supporting Member
Good lord that is a killer looking rig! I guess I just missed one on ebay. Do they come up often? http://cgi.ebay.com/SWART-SUPER-SPACE-TONE-30-IN-FLAWLESS-CONDITION_W0QQitemZ220202113504QQihZ012QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I love the clips!
Guess what? It sounds as good as it looks! This is the ultimate home/bedroom amp that works just as well at the gig (or in my case- jams). I love it to death, and I haven't had any amp GAS since i got mine almost a year ago. The amp and matching cab come in just under your budget, brand new! ;)

cg

Gold Supporting Member
How close are the AST and SST? It looks like it's not too hard to find a used AST for around $1300 while SSTs are hard to find and approx $3K.

+10000000

Agreed all the way....I just about bought an AST a week or so ago, then a used SST fell into my lap the day before yesterday. Freaking awesome amp. For roots rock style tones it might be one of the best I've heard -easlily the best I've owned. Does all the AST stuff with a bit more oomph and you can run different cabs. I was never into reverb until this amp came aong, and the tube driven tremelo is just unreal.

For compact stuff though - the AST is a winner and easily the coolest looking amp I've ever seen in person. Check out Greg V's clips of the AST:

http://www.swartamps.com/sounds-AST_greg_v.htm
http://www.swartamps.com/

The SST is a perfect compliment to my Aiken Intruder head.

Steve E

ed84246

Thuugh the master probably won't help you with the sleeping kids at night, I seriously suggest you go out and play a Matchless Independence.

SRVTWO

The Blankenship Variplex. A 68 plexi clone that comes with a Variac that acts as a master volume and can do a whisper to screaming, and Van Halen to Hendrix. Check it out.
Mike

boogieongtr

Komet Concorde will get all of the tones you listed. Add an OD pedal and a good delay and you won't look back..

anyone

I use Les Pauls and Strats. I hope to add a Tele soon, especially if I don't spend my entire $3400 budget on amps.

Favorite artists/tones are The Jayhawks, Big Head Todd, David Grissom, Wilco, Son Volt, Ryan Adams, SRV, Black Crowes, AC/DC, Zep and Hendrix.

What else should I consider?? I am tired of shipping amps and want to find something to keep for a long time.
I hear ya on wanting to just have an amp and be done with it.
I was at that point a few years ago and picked up a Blankenship FSWSC. It still sticks in my head as one of the best amps I've ever heard.

Right before I got the Blankenship, I picked up a Heritage Briton II. I can't believe these things aren't more in demand! It's amazing.

In the meantime though...:) I picked up a TopHat SuperDeluxe.

I'd be fine with any one of these three amps (and a tim and zendrive...), but now I'm lusting after a Brownote D'Lite and a Glaswerks... So, uh... good luck ending your ampquest! (haha)

FFTT

If you want British flavored clean headroom, then you're looking at something with either 2 or 4 EL34's or KT series tubes.

You can also do well with 4 XEL84's but any amp with just 2 EL84's is probably not going to deliver the clean headroom you seek unless you play at very low volumes.

So what you may be looking for is a 30-50 watt head with a good power scaling circuit or an effective defeatable master volume.

Another way to look at it, is to consider the usable value of a small Class
A 3-12 watt dedicated recording/noodling amp.

Gries 5, Reeves Custom 12, Vintone Simplex, Emery Sound Superbaby,
something you can dime at 3:00 AM when the inspiration of lack of sleep hits you.

Then concentrate on a real live performance amp.

Reeves Custom Lead or Custom 50, or CP504
The Komet Concord
Vintone IKIRU
Bad Cat Lynx or AB50

I know how it goes, you tend to play a great sounding live rig the way it sounds best at live volumes and there you end up punishing your ears.

For all those endless hours when you're not actually performing
in a live situation, you may get better use out of something smaller.

Lou Brush

I'd check out a Carr Slant 6V. Blackface cleans and tweedy goodness all in one amp. With settings for 40/20/18 watts, it's relatively easy to put the amp in the pocket for home/rehearsal/live performances without sacrificing tone. They are pricey.

ROKY

Get the new Fargen amp that's optimized to work with the Menatone
amp-in-a can pedals; and then collect the whole set.

KAR KRASH = Trainwreck
TopBoostInACan = AC30
King O'Brits = plexi+ hi-gain Marshall
WorkingMansBlues = JTM45
HOWIE= dumble
DIRTY BLONDE= Blonde Fender.

Trending Topics