Help me pick my next Guitar Cabinet/s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tremonti, Apr 7, 2008.

1. tremonti

tremonti Member

I have a Mesa Boogie Triaxis, ISP Decimator Pro Rack G, TC Electronics G Major, Mesa Boogie Power 2:90, Marshall 1960 straight 4/12 cab, Dunlop 535Q wah, and a DMC Ground Control pro. I run my rig in stereo through the Mashall 1960 straight 4/12 cab....speakers are stock Celestions.

What would using a Mesa 4/12 Cab net me? What about 2 Mesa 2/12's split wide for a nice stereo sound? Tried a Genz Benz 2/12....loved the look, build, design...but it lacked the thud.

Oh...I play in a cover band that plays Creed to Maroon 5 to ZZ Top to Chris Isaak. I mainly use humbuckers...but do own one Strat w/ singles. Anyways....thoughts? Any gear I should add to benefit sound wise? I'm a GAS'er so let the buying begin!​

2. Red_Label

Red_Label Supporting Member

Mesa would definitely give you more "thud" than the Marshall. For some (including me) it's too much thud. But since you're doing Creed, that would probably work for you. It looks like you're interested in keeping your speaker situation to 4 - 12's total. If not, I'd just add another 1960 for more fullness and a wider stereo spread.

3. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

You lean towards the British / Marshall flavor, huh?

How about something in tweed?

Perhaps something VOX-ish?

4. tremonti

tremonti Member

No real particular sound....just something that can play a bunch of different stle and sound good. I like what I have...I just want to hear pros and cons of a different cab maybe.

5. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

obviously mesa gear is designed w/ mesa gear so i dont think you could loose out there,ive owned plenty mesa cabs and they r fine,i never liked them w/ marshall amps though....
    until i bought a bogner cab,not so shrill just a nice awesome cab,i reloaded mine w/ greenbacks and i'm not selling it,i'm done buying 4x12's w/ this bogner in de house....BUT i havnt played my mesa stuff through a bogner as i sold the mesa stuff to purchase a bogner amp then a Wizard and thats a perfect match

6. Shawn3786

Shawn3786 Member

7. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

BOGNER, Call it a day. Get an OS 2x12.

8. PFCG

PFCG Member

id get two Two Rock 2x12 sig cabs if i could afford it. and wanted to carry them around of course. And id get em loaded with the TR speakers.

9. tremonti

tremonti Member

10. Loudnotes

Loudnotes Member

I just ordered a 2x12 from Mills Acoustics to go with my M60. They offer 4x12s and a 2x12 model loaded with V30s. I've heard nothing but good about these cabinets. I will find out soon!

11. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

I decided to go with Mills as well, I have one of the 412B's coming in soon.

12. blownirocz

blownirocz Suppoutin' Memba Since Dem Oud Dayz... Silver Supporting Member

Either of you fellas got your Mills cab yet? I'm in the market for a new cab, and have heard great things about these guys. But would love to hear a fellow TGP'er's review on them.

13. Loudnotes

Loudnotes Member

Still waiting..... Dave said they recently relocated their shop and that set them back about 10 days. I should be receiving mine soon though:drool.