Help me pick out a 2x12..........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gi-gi-giggity, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

.............or a speaker combo for me.

Right now I have a Boogie 2x12 half back and I'd either like to put new speakers in it OR just replace it with a newer 2x12.
    It's being pushed by my Egnater TOL100 (100 watt) and would be primarily for rock/blues/R&B applications.

I'm going to listen to a Tone Tubby cab later today, but I've heard that there are some other really good botique cabs out there too. I just need to make sure that whatever I get won't run the risk of being blown.

Thanks

2. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

Take a look at the THD 2X12. Compact, light at 46 lbs., and has almost as much bottom as a 4X12. Did I mention it sounds like god?-Eric
    www.thdelectronics.com

3. ungarn

ungarn Member

Avatarspeakers.com and Earcandycabs.com

Good luck!

4. Reeek

Reeek Member

I'm a huge www.jdesigncabs.com fan

I own four of Jeff Earl's cabs and am VERY delighted with them. I buy so many Weber speakers for my amps that I get dealer prices so all of mine have various Weber speaker combos. I ordered all the cabs unloaded.

Good luck!

5. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

+1 :JAM

6. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

Checking 'em out...thanks.
    Keep em coming. I'd like to hear what other folks are using for their 100watt heads

7. Nomadgtr

Nomadgtr Member

Check out Stone Age Custom Cabinets. John just finished a 4x12 for me that's arriving tomorrow. He's great to work with and you won't have to wait months like you do with Ear Candy.

http://www.stoneagecustomcabinets.com

8. seajay

seajay Member

What speakers are currently in the Boogie cab? What do you not like about this cab?

9. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

It has the stock 90watt Black Shadows. I like the thump of the cab, but the mid-highs and highs aren't very articulate. Regardless of volume or axe, I can't seem to get a smooth top end...it just doesn't exist. If I were going for more of a scooped thrash sound (which is why I bought it in the first place), then it's fine...but I can't extract the sweetness that I want to hear.
    In a nutshell, I don't believe that it's doing the Egnaters tones justice.

10. seventn

seventn Member

Just put a couple of V30s in there and you should get more definition. The Black shadows are supposed to be pretty flat so these V30 should be more bright and articulate in the highs and mids.

11. PFCG

PFCG Member

man go two rock, its amasing! youll be so psyched, but the tone tubbies are the same design just different woods/speakers obviously

12. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

+1.

My 212 cab from jdesigns that came with my Fargen Dual Classic is a fantastic cab. Very resonant and toneful — it sings. Jeff Earl is a great woodworker who really understands how to tune his cabs.

13. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

I have a Mesa 3/4 back 2x12 that I just put the V30's in. I'm very happy with it, but I picked the V30's knowing that I'd be using a Fender amp with it, and I wanted that rounder, warmer tone.

That being said, I actually do like the sound of the MC-90's. If you want a little more detail in your sound, replace one of the MC-90's with a Mesa EVM12-L. I have this pairing in a 4x12 Mesa, and I like it a lot. Kind of a best of both worlds deal. The EVM seems to sonically wrap around the MC-90, giving you more high and low, with the MC-90 in the middle.

I agree with everybody that the THD is the way to go, but then you're out another $599 for a new one. You could try a lot of different speakers for $599.

YMMV...

Stormin!

14. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

I appreciate the opinions and comments from everyone. I'll continue to research the suggestions and get back to let you know what I decide.

15. el34power

el34power Member

I would start by replacing on of the C90's with something sweet like a Blue flavored for the top end. a Weber blue dog or red fang for example.