Help me pick out a Compressor

dwolfggc

I used to hate compression, I'd tried a couple of really squashy ones with my LP and didn't like the results. Since then I got an m13 and a Tele and I'm really digging the "Tube Comp" model on the m13. So much so that I pretty much have it on all the time. I'd like to free up a slot on the m13 so my question is what pedal compressor sounds like the tube comp model? I would use with light compression, more as a thickener. I also use it after delays to get a long tail sound without burying the original note.
So what am I looking for?

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
I was in a similar boat with not finding a compressor I could get along with, all the ones I tried were too "overdone" and just too much. Best advice? Try an Orange Squeezer clone! Analogman makes an excellent one, GGG offers one as a kit and it's dead simple to put together and i know hartman makes one with a separate gain control. It's an excellent pedal for people who A). Don't like pedals or B). Don't really like compressors but need/want one anyway.

JB Eckl

Silver Supporting Member
I had the same experience with the Tube Comp model in the M13 - it really is a great compressor for guitar, better than any pedal I'd owned over the years. I decided to check out a bunch of analog comp pedals too, and settled on the Wampler Ego Comp.

The key to a good comp pedal for me is to be able to blend in the uncompressed, dry guitar. That way you won't get that instant squashed Dyna Comp sound (some guys love it!), but you'll still feel the punch. Either the Tone Press, Ego Comp or Philosopher's tone will do that.

Now my comp sound is even better than the Tube Comp, so I'm happy.

slopeshoulder

The only I know that compresses without screwing up tone and attack is the Menatone JAC. I hate the rest of them. I love the JAC.

dwolfggc

JB Eckl: Yeah, I can't stand the Dyna Comp. which is why I dont think i would like an Orange Sqeezer clone, isnt that based on a dyna comp?

Thanks for the suggestions.
anyone else?

Less=more

I have the diamond compressor, and I leave it on. Not really a compressor guy here but this one actually makes an improvement and is very subtle.

ANother one that I wish I could try is the JHS Pulp N'Peel which is NOT base on the Orange circuit.

It has a Blend knob, which I think I would really enjoy.

jkokura

JB Eckl: Yeah, I can't stand the Dyna Comp. which is why I dont think i would like an Orange Sqeezer clone, isnt that based on a dyna comp?

Thanks for the suggestions.
anyone else?

No, that's not accurate. The Dyna Comp and Ross Comp (Keeley) are similar. The orange squeezer is different, but quite colored. If you want 'transparent' a blended comp like the tone press is a very good option.

Jacob

Road King

Tone Press for cheap. If you got bucks, the Carl Martin Comp/Limiter is superb. I bought one on the cheap once and sold it. (sigh of deep regret)
Both of these will do the thickening thing very well.

whaiyun

Barber Tone Press
Keeley Compressor
Wampler Ego Compressor
Analogman CompROSSer

all good choices.

dwolfggc

Tone Press for cheap. If you got bucks, the Carl Martin Comp/Limiter is superb. I bought one on the cheap once and sold it. (sigh of deep regret)
Both of these will do the thickening thing very well.

On the cheap is defiantly what I'm looking at. Based on price and your guys recommendation it's probably come down to the Tone Press or the Philosopher's Tone. The PT is only about $10 more new, I would be looking for used, though. Any thoughts between those two? Are the used prices much different?

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
The Wampler Ego Compressor is what is on my board. I love it because you can use the blend control to mix your direct tone with the pedal's. You can make it work very subtly or very squashy or anywhere in between.

dwolfggc

Both the Rothwell and the Wampler are a little more than I'm looking to spend.
Can anybody who has the Philosophers Tone comment on the drive characteristics? How do you use it?

digiTED

rock > talk
Maxon CP101 is cheeep on the used market, well built, VERY subtle. I've heard it compared to a Diamond, though with less headroom.

I have a CP101 and love it's transparency, sustain without squash, and low noise floor. It is an opto, rather than op-amp.

The Dragon I's in my PRS are really hot and do hit the ceiling on the CP101 once in a while. Nothing rolling back the guiatr's volume knob can't fix. Split coils or with my Strat, I don't have a problem. I'll probably eventually go for the Diamond because of this.

I had a Philosopher's Tone for a minute and really liked the clean sustain. I think it's a viable option for you. The odd shape, side mounted jacks, and higher power requirements were a deal breaker for me at the time, though.

On the cheap is defiantly what I'm looking at. Based on price and your guys recommendation it's probably come down to the Tone Press or the Philosopher's Tone. The PT is only about $10 more new, I would be looking for used, though. Any thoughts between those two? Are the used prices much different?

Had the Tone Press, and currently have the Philosopher's Tone. Without question, when dialed in for similar levels of sustain, the Barber messes with your attack way less. It really does what it says. The PT still has traditional compression characteristics- i.e. squishy attack and pumping when you let a chord ring out- unless you dial the blend or sustain WAY down, and at that point I feel there's little point in using it. I was hoping to make use of the grit knob when I bought it, but it sounds really bad, IMO, so I just ignore it completely. The tone knob on the PT is good.

I'm not bashing the PT, and though I actually do prefer the Barber, I am keeping the PT. Its small size is perfect for my board, and I have it dialed to the point where it works well enough for my purposes. Also, the squish and pump is not so intrusive at stage volumes; that stuff really only bugs me when playing at home or at quiet volumes.

At some point if a Tone Press floats my way I may go back to it, but for now I'm cool enough with the PT.

dwolfggc

Oh, I didn't know about the Philosopher's power requirements, that kinda rules that one out. The low headroom in the maxon is a concern for me as I would like to use it at the end of the chain.
Unless someone else has any other suggestions I'm going to start looking for a Tonepress.

Thanks for all the help guys!

DeaconBlues

Anything but a Dyna Comp almost always works for me, but the best ones I've used are(in order of preference):
Barber Tone Press
Maxon CP101
Keely two knob.

loudif

Not really a popular choice, but I like the Visual Sound Comp 66. Very subtle, quiet and cheap. If you are looking for something different than a Ross/MXR style of "squash" it may be worth a try. Great buffer as well.

Top Bottom