Help me pick out a Princeton

unseen hand

Hey Peeps..

I'm tired of lugging around heavy amps to gigs so I'm learning on getting a Princeton..

I'd love to get an older one and have used a silverface but have never played through a brownface or blackface. I'm primarily a tele player and appreciate a little extra mid range or "hair" so to speak. I'd love to get some info on the subtle difference of these eras regarding tone and headroom etc... I'm playing basic country, blues, rock type stuff. My band mates play at a moderate level.

Any info is much appreciated!

Dumb Bell

I've had a '64 white knobbed Princeton for about 20 years, fantastic rehearsal/living room amp. I put a line out in it using the extension speaker jack that works great for running into another amp for gigging. These aren't quite loud enough on there own for the type of music that i play, however a more efficient speaker might be the ticket. Hope this helps.

natebernstein

You might consider a Tyler PT-14, with the "fat" switch for boosted mids. Hand-wired Princeton on steroids, with 12" speaker. Tons of headroom and great pedal platform. Tried one out recently and it was fantastic. The owner/builder, John Brinton, is great to deal with. I just bought one of his other amps as the PT wasn't exactly what I was looking for at the time. If a little "hair" is what you're looking for and you're not seeking to get it from pedals, however, I'd go with the '68 Custom Princeton, which breaks up earlier than the BF models (and a lot earlier than the Tyler). I have the '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb and like it a lot for the type of music you list here.

unseen hand

I've had a '64 white knobbed Princeton for about 20 years, fantastic rehearsal/living room amp. I put a line out in it using the extension speaker jack that works great for running into another amp for gigging. These aren't quite loud enough on there own for the type of music that i play, however a more efficient speaker might be the ticket. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply... Is the 64 white knob the brownface circuit? Do you think you could get away with smaller gigs with just the amp?

The deluxe's are probably perfect but really trying to find something really light. For whatever reason I've become obsessed with portability.. Small pedal board, one guitar etc..

unseen hand

You might consider a Tyler PT-14, with the "fat" switch for boosted mids. Hand-wired Princeton on steroids, with 12" speaker. Tons of headroom and great pedal platform. Tried one out recently and it was fantastic. The owner/builder, John Brinton, is great to deal with. I just bought one of his other amps as the PT wasn't exactly what I was looking for at the time. If a little "hair" is what you're looking for and you're not seeking to get it from pedals, however, I'd go with the '68 Custom Princeton, which breaks up earlier than the BF models (and a lot earlier than the Tyler). I have the '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb and like it a lot for the type of music you list here.
Just checked out that Tyler.. Sweet looking amp, I'll have to do some research..

Its funny you mentioned the 68 deluxe reissue since that seems to have everything im looking for, especially that bassman tone stack in channel one. However, the fender page lists the amp at 42 pounds. I have a carr rambler which is a phenomenal amp but at 40 lbs it's a pain in the ass to schlep around. I guess I'm just getting old

Dumb Bell

Thanks for the reply... Is the 64 white knob the brownface circuit? Do you think you could get away with smaller gigs with just the amp?

The deluxe's are probably perfect but really trying to find something really light. For whatever reason I've become obsessed with portability.. Small pedal board, one guitar etc..[/Q Yes, mine is the brown face circuit. I've used it for smaller gigs, it does the job. Not a loud amp though. I use for rehearsal in a blues band, sometimes use a tweed Champ as well.

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
...having never met a Princeton or Princeton Reverb that I didn't like (a lot)... They are different amps. The PR will be louder and give you overdrive while the basic Princeton is a little clean machine. Personally, I don't see the added value in the blackface... Exact same circuit. The brown Princeton, however, can be pretty special... Especially with a tele. More kids, more grind, and more early ZZ... Also still pretty loud. Disclaimer... I'd only sampled a couple of originals before I built mine.

natebernstein

Just checked out that Tyler.. Sweet looking amp, I'll have to do some research..

Its funny you mentioned the 68 deluxe reissue since that seems to have everything im looking for, especially that bassman tone stack in channel one. However, the fender page lists the amp at 42 pounds. I have a carr rambler which is a phenomenal amp but at 40 lbs it's a pain in the ass to schlep around. I guess I'm just getting old
Re Tyler if you email John he'll answer your questions. On the 68 Custom the specs on Fender's website show it at 34 lbs: http://www.fender.com/guitar-amplifiers/vintage-pro-tube/’68-custom-princeton-reverb/2272000000.html

It's the Deluxe Reverb (22 watts, 2 channels, 12") that's 42 lbs...

Dumb Bell

For what it's worth our frontman uses a silver face Princeton Reverb and it is louder than my amp, much more scooped. They seem to compliment each other nicely.

silver surfer

Hey Peeps..

I'm tired of lugging around heavy amps to gigs so I'm learning on getting a Princeton..

I'd love to get an older one and have used a silverface but have never played through a brownface or blackface. I'm primarily a tele player and appreciate a little extra mid range or "hair" so to speak. I'd love to get some info on the subtle difference of these eras regarding tone and headroom etc... I'm playing basic country, blues, rock type stuff. My band mates play at a moderate level.

Check out the Allen Amplification Hot Fudge. I regrettably sold a Brown Princeton years ago and the Hot Fudge is really calling my name. From talking with the builder and reading reviews, it will give you that added midrange of the original Princeton, but you can also use 6L6's for increase power and headroom - OR - there is a Deep switch and Soul Control that puts you into Marshall overdrive territory for "hair" and then some. Allen is a highly regarded builder as well. L'il Dawg amps also makes a straight Brown Princeton replica. Love the Brown Princeton tone.

Not much difference between a blackface and silverface Princeton Reverb. I own a 66 PR and it is pretty scooped in the midrange and not the best for cranking - gets a little fizzy. To me it is better know for its sweet chimey Fender tones and takes pedals very well.

mattymel

+1 on Allen amps. His Sweet Spot is based on a PR. Very cool gigging amp with more EQ (mid) control.

I LOVE BF PR, but as great as they sound, they won't do a rock gig without a mic on it. But as far classic BF cleans, the PR is my fave.

But the Allen Sweet Spot is a 100% giggable PR. Easy bias, 6L6 available too.

http://www.allenamps.com/sweetspot.php

FF71

Silver Supporting Member
If you're planning to gig go with a Deluxe Reverb it's only around 5 inch wider. It won't short change you like a Princeton would. imo

firebird1295

Hey Peeps..

GC just had a sale (Presidents day) for 15% off on a Princeton with a 12" Jensen P12Q (Bourdeax reserve cosmetics...) amp. I have an 2006 Fender CVR that I gig with but like the OP I've been looking for a lighter amp with some of the same basic "Fender" features; reverb/vibrato, so the Princeton fit those requirements.
I knew going in there's always been the "Deluxe is too loud for home use"; Princeton is "not loud enough to gig with a full band" controversy but I had previously purchased a Mojo cab with a single 12" Celestion G12H30 Anniversary speaker with a 100db sensitivity rating, so I figured if the Jensen P12Q (94db sensitivity) wasn't loud enough with a band, I could try the Celestion instead.
I took the Princeton and the extension cab to a weekly jam with a full band and although the stock speaker was okay, I definitely benefited by having the Celestion sensitivity (loudness) when I plugged into the extension cab. The Celestion speaker weighs 10 pounds; the stock Jensen a little over 4, so if I put the G12H30 into the Fender combo, the Princeton would go up to 40 pounds, still reasonable if I decide to do that. For now I'm still breaking in the Jensen and will stay with it for now.

So as others, and the OP have said; if you're in a band that plays at reasonable levels I think a Princeton could work - but yes, you're right at the limit of it's ability depending on the group ability to control it's level.

Last edited:

zenas

I've got a 64 Princeton Reverb and really like it. However I'd love to find a 6g2 either a brownface or the white knob/black tolex one. My brother has a PR, 5e3, Vibrolux Reverb and a 6g2. The 6g2 gets gigged the most. Not an original but a trashed Vibro Champ I gave him, gutted, rebuilt into a 6g2 circuit with a 12" Weber C12N speaker.
(I've got another VC I'd do the same thing to but it's way too nice)

Anyway try a 6g2 if you can and a PR. Myself I'd skip the later Princeton non reverb for what you're talking about here. But don't take my word for it. Try one of those too. (according to several women I'm wrong alot)

FFTT

If you can't find a clean, well cared for vintage, go for a Gries 12 Reverb or Magic Amps Vibro-Prince.

Both are best of PR circuits.

Allen Sweet Spot is cool too, but more right between a PR & DR.
I'd want one with 2X10" AlNiCo drivers.

StevenO

I have a '61 Brownface 6G2 Princeton and a '77 Silverface Princeton Reverb. They're both fantastic amps but very different. '61 has a low wattage, smooth cone speaker in it because the amp is essentially a Tweed Vibrolux/Tweed Harvard Amp, and I like to use that amp for its natural, reedy, woody overdrive sound. This amp has a tight, low end, almost lacking bass, but has a emphasis on the mid range. Still Fendery, but not the Twin Reverb-style Fender sound. I use that amp for old Stax/Steve Cropper-style Soul/R&B and Stones-style country rock. The amp weighs probably 20 pounds and is very travel friendly. The Princeton Reverb on the other hand has a 50 watt Weber 10F150T and sounds like a mini Twin Reverb. Just sounds HUGE for a small amp, but also weighs probably around 35-40 pounds, though I've never measured either amp's weight.

If I had to choose one amp to keep, use, and gig with, it'd be the Princeton Reverb. It always sounds good and you get what you put into it. Whereas the Brownface has more character and playing guitar through it is like having a conversation, so playing and picking dynamics is needed to tame this beast. It's fun, though. Hope that helps!

Last edited:

silver surfer

I have a '61 Brownface 6G2 Princeton and a '77 Silverface Princeton Reverb. They're both fantastic amps but very different. '61 has a low wattage, smooth cone speaker in it because the amp is essentially a Tweed Vibrolux/Tweed Harvard speaker, and I like to use that amp for its natural, reedy, woody overdrive sound. This amp has a tight, low end, almost lacking bass, but has a emphasis on the mid range. Still Fendery, but not the Twin Reverb-style Fender sound. I use that amp for old Stax/Steve Cropper-style Soul/R&B and Stones-style country rock. The amp weighs probably 20 pounds and is very travel friendly. The Princeton Reverb on the other hand has a 50 watt Weber 10F150T and sounds like a mini Twin Reverb. Just sounds HUGE for a small amp, but also weighs probably around 35-40 pounds, though I've never measured either amp's weight.

If I had to choose one amp to keep, use, and gig with, it'd be the Princeton Reverb. It always sounds good and you get what you put into it. Whereas the Brownface has more character and playing guitar through it is like having a conversation, so playing and picking dynamics is needed to fame this beast. It's fun, though. Hope that helps!
Excellent summary of the two amps. Everything the OP needs to know.

rufedges

If you want a vintage sounding Princeton with new reliability, and can afford it, I highly recommend Vintage Sound amps. Email Rick, tell him what tones you are shooting for/characteristics, he'll hook you up.

vintagesoundamps.com/shop

Trending Topics