Help me pick out LP Style Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lgehrig4, Mar 23, 2006.

1. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

I have a Gibson LP Standard with WCR pickups. It sounds really good, but this forum has gotten me thinking about a better, more resonant LP or LP style guitar. I really like the WCR's (Db & CR) and would like to know that I am getting the most out of them.

From what I gather, the Gibson Historic reissues are the ones to have, but I don't want to spend that kind of cash. I would prefer to make the switch with no more than $400 coming out of my pocket.

I was looking at some Heritages and a Guild Bluesbird. What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Jeff

2. pm81

pm81 Member

Within your budget there are some nice one's available.

Here's an Epi LP in the Emporium

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=140548

Here's a Dean Evo from the Dean Guitars site

http://www.deanguitars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=264703#264703

I have a few Deans and they are very good guitars. With the Evo you can split the coils as well.

Slightly out of your budget target (and a higher scale (25") but LP-ish) is a used PRS Soapbar SE singlecut or Tremonti SE. I believe there was one (Soapbar) in the Emporium.

LP jr. special-wise, used USA Hamers are great deals, though I'm not sure it'll hit your budget. New imports would though.

Good luck with the hunt - Paul

3. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

You've got a Gibson Les Paul and now you want a "better" Les Paul...

Step away from the forums...

The Historics are great guitars but they aren't night and day over a good standard. If you were thinking about adding a guitar that would be one thing but you just want to switch for switching's sake. Stop reading this drivel for awhile and go enjoy your guitar.

Some of these guys could make Eric Johnson think he really needs a Suhr with Timmy pickups and a Herbert with a Timmy on the floor (what's a Timmy?)...

And that is "a better, more resonant LP"? The guy's got a Gibson!

4. lgehrig4

Thanks Paul, but keep I mind that I already have a Gibson LP Standard. It's an excellent guitar, but I'm looking to upgrade.

5. lgehrig4

Jpage, Thanks for straightening me out, I don't know what I was thinking. I do need a break from the forums :jo

6. pm81

pm81 Member

I really gotta slow down when I read a post, LOL.

7. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

For 400 I don't think you can upgrade, unless you sell the Gibson (retain wcr pick ups)
    I believe pick ups are the biggest part of the equation for good tone.
    Now you could also upgrade some other parts on your guitar as well, starting with a nice setup perhaps (if no pro setup has been done yet)

8. lgehrig4

Thats what I planned on doing, sell the Standard and drop another $400. I know I'm getting anything even remotely close for $400.

The only reason I brought this up was because I remember reading how dead the Standards & Classics sounded in comparison to the Historics. Since I have such great sounding pups, I wanted to make sure that the guitar was bringing out the best in them.

It's really the resonance that I was concerned about. I''ve gotten pretty good at setting up guitars and to me they are usually just as good as any of the pro set ups that I've paid for so thats not a concern for me.

Maybe I just happend to catch a thread with all Historic lovers that would bash anything non-Historic?

9. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Well if you are trading/selling .. I do like my R9, but I like my Nunis even better and those are about half the price.
    Not sure what else, GMP Pawnshop Deluxe comes to mind.
    Maybe a Gibson Class 5 but that is a big jump in price maybe.

10. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I've seen some used class 5's around that are pretty cheap. This biggest thing for me with the historics are the huge necks that give me more sustain. I have a 01' Standard and a R6 Goldtop and the R6 just plays a lot better, but it has a huge neck and tons of sustain. The sound between the two are a little different, the standard has a 59' in the neck and an antiquity bridge. I've put this guitar up against my buddy's R8 and it was difficult to tell the two apart, they both sounded great, but once you played them it was an obvious difference in feel, sustain and even resonance. Others may disagree, but this is just my experience.

11. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

Order a Tradition from Scott Heatley...it is, IMO, a MUCH nicer, better made, better sounding instrument than a Les Paul standard, and it won't break your bank unless you get crazy with options. I have a Les Paul and a Tradition, so I can compare. This way, you get to order your custom guitar, and still play your Les Paul while it is being built! Or, just keep your guitar if it makes you happy and save the cash!

www.heatleyguitars.com

12. lgehrig4

Nunis, Pawnshop & Heatley seem like really nice guitars, but not close enough to a LP to me. I should have been more specific with my original post. I would only want an exact replica or close to it.

The minor differences in the Heritage and Bluesbird are as much as I would want to astray from the LP design. I forgot to mention Tokais. Can anyone recommend a good year or model for the LoveRock?

13. telebuck

telebuck Supporting Member

Give the historics a shot. Sell your LP standard for around 1500, and then add 400 to get into a gently used r7 goldtop or r8 plaintop LP. I've had one of each and love them.

14. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I'd go for a used R7 goldtop...should be able to pick one up for around 2200 bucks if you look hard enough.

15. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

PRS Singlecuts are also incredible guitars. Amazing build quality and playability. Funny you mentioned your liking WCRs. The pickups in PRS SCs sound a lot like WCRs...vintagey, but with a slightly smoother character. You can find nice used examples in the low $2000s. AC

16. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Take your Standard to a store that has a few Historics and compare them for yourself. You'll know if your Standard is not as cool as a Historic.(or cooler)

I can't tell how many times I went to upgrade, only to find I preferred what I had. What a great feeling.:) (And cheaper too).

My favorite Les Paul is a 73' Deluxe routed for humbuckers. Sandwich body, pretty heavy, painted 5 times by me, and pretty much frowned upon among Les Paul guys.

I've had at least 10-12 Les Pauls in my time, and still have an older 1959' reissue. The 73' has the magic.:D

17. HeeBGB

HeeBGB Member

I got my R7 for $1600 on Ebay! No shipping...it was about an hour drive away! Just did an ebay search and came up with about 4 or 5 R7's that sold for between $1600 and $1900 in the past month so they can be had in your price range. I would try to play a few before I sold a guitar I was happy with though!

Good luck

18. BTO

BTO Member

http://www.shamray.ru/index.php?lang=en

I know of a few guys from different forums who have had Les Paul clones made by these guys. Don't let the fact they're Russian scare you off. Real hand made quality and you get input on every single aspect of the guitar you order: from construction and finish to electronics. They do take their time with the build, but I've never heard of a single negative comment about the finished results. Take a look at some of the finished Custom Shop pieces.

19. lgehrig4

Now you guys are talking! I'm officially jonesing for a Historic!

Good advice. I might have to take a trip to Guitar Center this weekend.

20. lgehrig4

Very interesting. Do you have any idea of what they paid? I don't want to contact these people unless they are in my range.