Help me pick out speakers for my Orange 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gibson08, Mar 3, 2008.

1. gibson08

gibson08 Member

I am going thru a bit of a cab phase, I need speakers to kind of open up my Orange 2x12 cab. I am playing decent amps thru it, but it sounds like its,,holding my amps back ot maybe kind of muffled sounding. I was on the Emi. site (lots of choices there!) To me it sounds like the Ragin Cajuns sounde good to me, any exp. with those or any other suggestions will be appreciated!!

2. Mudder

Mudder Member

Is the Orange stock? So it would have V-30s?

What sort of music will you be playing?

3. gibson08

gibson08 Member

Yes it has V-30s, mostly variuos degrees of rock and some blues.

4. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

Leave the V30's in and change the amp

5. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

What heads are you playing through and type of music are you mainly playing. I don't have an Orange cab but I have a Rockerverb 50 head. I don't like V30's so I can understand where you're coming from exactly.

Sounds like you need some Reissue Greenbacks, Heritage G12-65's or Scumback H75's and M75's. You will be much happier with any of those. I've tried a bunch of Eminence speakers, lots of variety, and they sound pretty good. But I have ended up not keeping any of them...always go back to the Celestions or Scumbacks.

6. jamison162

Nah, V30's are voiced for modern hard rock. They are tight and very upper mid heavy. Clean tones are muddy compared to the four speakers I listed above. He can do much better.

7. gibson08

gibson08 Member

The amps are Roccaforte HG100, XTC 101b, VH4S,,so I prob. wont change the amps,,HA HA

8. macmax77

V30's are one of the most rounded(versatile) speakers out there today.

The problem is that they don't work well with Marshalls and Marshall type amps

9. macmax77

Ok, keep the XTC, change the other one:D

10. gibson08

gibson08 Member

I play mostly rock, blues, some mod. rock and some(dont laugh)country. I find the Orange cab to be a little,,dark sounding(?), hard to describe. I also have a Diezel stereo 4x12 that sounds awesome with every amp, so if i could change my Orange cab i would be happy(for now!!)

11. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Are you sure the amp isn't providing the darkness? British amps are usually known to be "dark" sounding.

V-30 + G12h30 is a popular combo, very versitle

I like the eminence legend GB's as well.

An alnico speaker could add a bit of sparkle to your amps clean tones. An eminence Red fang, Weber Blue Dog could work as they offer higher wattage than a Celestion Blue.

I am a big fan of mixing speakers. And with an Orange I think I would like to keep at least one of the v-30's. They are matched this way.

dk

12. macmax77

Actually the problem with a V30 and a Marshall kind of amp will be the spike in the mids.

I don't understand the terminologies very well, for me Marshalls are Bright , not dark sounding amps, so the terminologies and the association of dark and British confuses me a lot.

One thing is for sure, in a Mesa or Rockerverb or even a Budda Sd80 the V30's are great.

13. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

I think its the cab. The Orange cabs are deep as hell and made of thick wood and have a thickermesh/cloth on them. I heard the ame thing when I owned one. When you crank it its not so bad.:dude

14. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

The Orange cab is dark and very focused by nature. All the speakers I'd suggest would be kinda low wattage if you ever crank your amps up. I say, for your style, you should look at a different style cab. I'd say something open back...the Bogner OS would probably open up your sound. Maybe a THD 2x12?

15. hamfist

hamfist Member

You sir need Scumbacks !! H75's, or H75/M75 mix.

In fact everybody needs Scumbacks !! :dude

G12-65's were mentioned earlier, but I would suggest that these would be absolutely the opposite of what you would need. My experience with the G12-65's is that they had a sort of "muffled" quality themselves, which would not match well with your cabinet. They really are not bright speakers at all. Great for taming bright amps/cabs, but not what you need.

16. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

I really like a 1265/g12h combo....much better than the standard v30/g12h combo.

17. Mig60

Mig60 Member

i have two G12H-100 celestions on mine

18. Johnnythunders

Johnnythunders Member

I have a dark sounding Matamp that I teamed with a swanson 2x12 "old spec" Orange copy with Scholtz speakers which brightened it up.

I also have a 4x12 with G12h-100 Celestions that are great.

I tried Greenbacks, V-30s, 65, 80, 75, h30 and the Scumbacks.

The Scholtz and G12h-100 are the best for me.

19. jamison162

Until you hear them through G12-65's or Scumbacks. :dude

The Orange cab is like 15" deep and solid. And with V30's, I can see a lot of folks calling it a dark/britiish/cab. Brighter speakers may work well for you (H75's, Greenbacks).

I've never thought of my RV50 as being dark, it is VERY well balanced. But I'm running an OS open back 2x12. Those G12-65's and Scumbacks sound mighty fine with that setup.

20. gibson08

gibson08 Member

Well let me start by saying I appreciate all of the input!! It could possibly be the nature of my Orange cab, it is very close sonicly(is that even a word?) to my recto 4x12 cab, but my Diezel 4x12 cab is much brighter and lots more clarity, I am not sure if I can accomplish this by changing speakers or not, I AM A CABINET IDIOT!!HELP!!!