Help me pick out tonewoods on a new Tele

Which tonewoods for a killer W/R HB Tele sound?

• Alder

• Alder/Maple Cap

• Mahogany/Maple Cap

• Other tonewood

• Other tonewood mix

Results are only viewable after voting.

dave12

Platinum Supporting Member
Ok guys, I'm looking for those of you with both knowledge of tone woods and Tele tones to help me out here.

I'm looking to have a Tele made a la Fender 72 THINLINE:

But semi-hollow. My plan is to use Lollar Regals in the guitar and throw on a Bigsby.

I very much want it to sound like a genuine vintage 72 deluxe, but here's the problem: I no can use Swamp Ash (too long to explain why).

SO, help me out here. My thoughts are that I can either use Alder or or another mix of tonewoods in the poll to get that sound. I want to know what everyone thinks, so please vote and then explain why below.

EDIT: Used wrong Tele originally :jo

Last edited:

Mike9

Silver Supporting Member
Basswood body with a 3/8" thick figured maple cap, roasted maple neck, brass tone block instead of string ferrules. Make sure your frets are glued in.

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
I just went on the quest for my ultimate tele and ended up with alder/maple cap even though I thought I wanted pine. You never know what guitar might speak to you I guess!

handtrix

"...but here's the problem: I no can use Swamp Ash (too long to explain why)..."
Start esplaining, Ricky !
No one cares to comment?
Perhaps add Ash to that Poll. ;)

Love me an Oly White in Alder & Maple soft-V neck w/ thin fret's for the twang, baby ! Depending on the tone, swap out the 3-way to a 4 position switch, too.
Juuust a little different on the Esquire's...

Suhr has a model with the middle pickup under the pickguard for versatility -cool option.
Anybody know what output that reverse wound is? Seems like it would need to be high as to being that far away from the strings, no? Would like to know...

dave12

Well, I'd do ash if I could, but I'm limited, hence the poll.

I won't have a transparent finish on the guitar, so the maple cap would be purely for tone purposes.

I would go with alder but I don't want to sacrifice the clarity in the high end that ash would give you.

dave12

What's your favorite guitar tone? Post a link to a song if you can.
Well, I think Terry Kath is an example of some decent Deluxe Tele tones (though some are divided a bit on him).

Look for live clips of Dialogue I&II or even 25 or 6 to 4 from the early to mid seventies.

That said, I am not necessarily going for that exact tone. Basically, I'm trying to get a Deluxe Tele sound of a guitar that won't be a Deluxe Tele. It will be an LP scale with either Alder or Mahogany body and maybe a cap or not.

My concern is that the above combination may not be bright enough to balance out the pickups and give me that shimmery, well-balanced Deluxe Tele tone.

C-4

I am having two different builders make me chambered teles at the moment. One is chambered alder and the other is a chambered basswood core with flamed maple front and back. Basswood is not a favored wood wth me, but I heard one like I ordered in a youtube vid and it was amazing.

Luke

Ok guys, I'm looking for those of you with both knowledge of tone woods and Tele tones to help me out here.

I very much want it to sound like a genuine vintage 72 deluxe, but here's the problem:

1. I'm going semi-hollow.
2. I plan is to use Lollar Regals in the guitar
3. And I intend throw on a Bigsby.
4. I not can use Swamp Ash

SO, help me out here.
You are adding four variables. Two identical 72 Deluxes won't sound identical, but four variables is impossible to predict IMO. You might have to change the pickups a few times after the fact to get closer to your ideal, since those are the only changeable part.

dave12

You are adding four variables. Two identical 72 Deluxes won't sound identical, but four variables is impossible to predict IMO. You might have to change the pickups a few times after the fact to get closer to your ideal, since those are the only changeable part.
Well, I don't expect it to sound exactly like one. I just want it to have a similar vibe. I realize the variables make it difficult to predict, but that's why I started the thread. I'm trying to figure out what experience others have.

Also, a couple things arose from the parameters you mentioned. First, I actually meant a 72 Thinline NOT Deluxe:

Second, I think some would argue that the Lollars sound closer to the originals than the current product pickups, which if my memory serves are normal humbuckers housed in the WR housing.

dave12

C'mon guys. Not enough discussion to make me feel comfortable just going with alder based on the polls alone.

Do you think scale length will make an appreciable difference?

silentbob

C'mon guys. Not enough discussion to make me feel comfortable just going with alder based on the polls alone.

Do you think scale length will make an appreciable difference?
Scale length is a major component of Fender tones. As for the tone, you should be ok with a maple cap and neck/fretboard.

EADGBE

It looks like Terry Kath's tone recipe was a tele with an all maple neck and an alder body. That's what I'd go with for his tone. By the way this tone recipe is also popular with Malmsteen, David Gilmour and Robin Trower among others. I wouldn't hollow it out. As alder isn't real heavy.

C-4

Have you looked at the Fender Select Telecaster? This year, they have one with a "F" hole.

Trending Topics