Help me pick some new speakers..........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by OldSchool, Jun 16, 2006.

1. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Heres a back shot of my new/used Bluesland Tweed twin:

[​IMG]

The first thing that will grab you is the ****** Jenson Mod series speakers. I haven't even gotten the amp yet so I don't really even know what they sound like but my experience with Jenson RI speakers hasn't been too good.

I got this amp for a really good deal............Whats a good Alinco replacment? Fanes are over $500 a pair and I don't think the Blues have enough wattage. I really didn't want to spend more then $200-250 anyway.

Anyone here have any experience with Eminece Legends? http://www.usspeaker.com/LEGEND122-1.htm I'm thinking about grabbing a set of 35 watters . Any other suggestions? I would really appriciate any help or advice............thanks in advance.

I

2. Leftee

Leftee Guest

The Mods aren't that bad. May not be to your liking though.

What about some Webers?

3. karmadave

karmadave Member

Weber 12A150A's are what Fender uses in the '57 Twin Re-issue.

These are 4 ohm speakers. The 12A150's are the 8 ohm equivilent. Pricy, but top of the line copies of a late '50s P12N...

-KD

4. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I'm sure they are decent speakers........but I just want a speaker that won't fart out the minute I switch over to my teles neck position humbucker.........I plan on cranking this thing for a nice tweed grind..........[​IMG]

The webbers are always a good choice but I'm concerned they won't fit behind those preamp tubes. The legends looked pretty compact.

5. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Hmmmmmmmmmm https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/weber/

Thanks! $350 ain't cheap but like you said they are top of the line. Think I'd have a problem fitting that bad boy behind the pre amp tubes?

6. 1964

1964 Member

Be sure not to dismiss the Mods so quickly. They just might be a good match for the amp, and might not have solely been an economical choice.

However, if the Mods do turn out to be overly compromised, if it were my amp, I'd probably be thinking of either a Red Fang and a Wizard, or a 12(AorF)150 and 12(AorF)150B.

7. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Thats a good point and I'll do that. hey even Leo fender picked the cheap stuff in the old days to maximize profits didn't he? Are the Red Fang and wizards vintage sounding though?

8. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

9. 1964

1964 Member

> "Are the Red Fang and wizards vintage sounding though?"

Both are very popular choices for tweeds, and extremely efficient, ie, loud. This is basically the proven Celestion Blue/G12H combo with greater efficiency and power handling, but a little smoother.

10. 1964

1964 Member

> "Any one here ever try a Legend 22?"

Relatively low efficiency and robustness.

> "Alinco is a must though................"

Plenty of crap alnico speakers, and great ceramic ones. The alnico vs ceramic debate is fraught with generalisations and misunderstandings. The only thing that's almost guaranteed with alnico is higher compression, but you have to push the speaker for that to occur, and therefore it becomes more important to more closely match output and power handling.

11. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Very good point again. :AOK

Since Bluesland is out of buisness and the last owner doesn't have a clue.............whats the best way to approximate Power output? 2 6L6's with 3 AX7's........54R Tube rectifier..........I'm guessing around 40 watts?

I just got this interesting Email from gerald Webber :

1. Blackframe, Greenframe and Brownframe 12” speakers are coming back. I have been working on this a while and we should see them before the next newsletter. If you would like own any of them, the price will still be $150 each plus $15 per speaker shipping. To promote sales and get some sold before they actually come in, I am doing a FREE SHIPPING introductory special. Here’s the deal: place an order before I get the speakers from our assembly guy and I will pay the shipping! That’s right. To describe the difference, here are the differences:
    Blackframe 12” – Think original Jensen C12N ( Clapton’s favorite). Big, warm and efficient. Very lively but with a huge bottom-end. Nice highs that compress when overdriven. Vintage Fendery tone. Perfect for any vintage Fender amp or any other American amp. 8 ohm

Brownframe 12” – These have the big magnet to get the big bottom and they have the efficiency, but they break up with a slight British vibe. Think
    Fendery clean but with Britishey breakup. We used these in many Kendrick amplifiers to give us the best of both worlds. 8 ohm

Greenframe 12” - These are our version of the fable G12 – 30 (Hendrix’s speaker). It does the clean, it does the overdrive and it sounds very Britishy. These work best in pairs or quads – 16 ohm each.

I'm thinking about a set of Blackframes........a little bit out of my budget but it could be just what the Doctor ordered. Are kendrick speakers made by Webber?

12. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I actually think some Celestion G12Hs might sound good.

13. karmadave

karmadave Member

Old School. Good question on the clearance for Weber 12A150's. You could email Ted Weber and ask him. He'll probably have you take some measurements. The Kendrick Blackframe's sound similar only with a ceramic magnet. Since Clapton is now playing stock '57 Twin Re-issues, I'd assume his are alnico. He's got an original low-power Twin (or two) which also originally came stock with Jensen P10N's. Tweed Twin or Bandmaster are my all-time favorite amps. Your ears and tastes may very. There are no absolutes. These are great amps ~35-40 watts of pure TONE! Good luck.

-KD

14. mondo_mike

mondo_mike Member

I have some clue... :crazyguy
    it is powered the same as the low power tweed twin - 40W.
    (even has hand wound paper bobbin transformers that are identical -or as identical as you can get these days- to originals).
    I would agree, though, that the speakers could be upgraded - the clean headroom and volume output would likely improve dramatically with higher power handling, more efficient speakers.
    but they do provide a good place to start - the combo sounds pretty great right now, IMHO.

15. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

LOL! No Insult intended brother! [​IMG] Just looking for some options once she arrives. Hey since I have you on the line (This is the last owner BTW) What is the clearance like behind those pre amp tubes........can I fit a Weber 12A150 behind there? Also...........what speaker ohm would I need to get? 2 8's or 2 16's? I'm guessing the 2 8's but I was hoping you would know for sure so so Maybe I can get the ball rolling before the amp arrives. [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. bryan k

bryan k Member

im all for the celection G12 greenbacks.............nice vintage/woody tone.

17. SLG

SLG Member

My thoughts exactly! I would recommend the Avatar Speaker Hellatone 30. They are Celestion G12H30's that have been broken in by Avatar. I have a pair in my Bruno Cowtipper 22 and they sound great. At $79 each plus shipping, I think they are one of the best deals going in speakers these days. I like alnico speakers, but I usually prefer ceramic speakers in amps over 25 watts.

18. mondo_mike

mondo_mike Member

:cool: totally cool
    There are taps on the transformer for 16, 8 and 4 ohms. The 8 and 4 ohm taps are wired up as stock depending on how you plug into the output jacks. The existing speakers are 8 ohms each for a total load of 4 ohms.
    don't recall the clearance, however.

19. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

Kendrick speakers are made by G. Weber down in Tejas, not Ted Webber. I like both guys' products though.

I am placing my order for some of the blackframes today. You may see them on ebay now and then, but there are different versions of this speaker. I don't like the earlier version much at all, but the later model kicks azz. I'm not taking chances, and ordering some of the new ones now. $150 a piece is not too bad of a price IMO.

FWIW, I have a plexi style with one green and one brown, and that setup is seriously righteous.

20. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Ted Webers 12A150's are spectacular.

I've liked what I've heard from Gerald Webers speakers in the Kendricks I've been around too.