Help me pick some P/ups for a Hamer Talladega.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by jads57, Jun 23, 2008.

1. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Hi , I`m trying to find the right humbuckers for my Hamer Talladega. So far I pulled out the original p/ups and put in a Seth Lover in the neck(too dark), and a Pearly Gates bridge(too bright) I feel like Goldy Locks trying too find the right h/b`s. I`ve been looking at Sheptones AB set, Will Boggs Vintage set, WCR`s Fillmore,Crossroads,Betset, Wolfetones Caretaker,Marshallheads, Peter Florence PAF`s, and cant seem to find J. Rolphs PAF`s. I`m trying to find a warm but clear sounding PAF set for my guitar which is like a 25&1/2" scale Les Paul meets a Tele sort of. Thanks in advance!

2. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Nobody! I`m about to try a SH-1 in the neck and a Rio Grande BB-Que in the bridge.Picked them up for cheap on flea-bay,so I thought it might be worth a try before I drop a couple of hundred on another boutique set.

3. bek

bek Member

http://www.vintagevibeguitars.com/

http://www.tonefordays.com/

I've dealt with both of them. They communicate great, they work fast, they deliver what you ask for, they're cheaper than most of the others you mentioned. I have a set of ToneForDays hums in a 25.5" scale aluminum/phenolic hollowbody and they are monsters. Huge, powerful, extremely touch-sensitive, well-made. I have a VintageVibe SSH set in a cheap Strat and they're amazingly well-made, beautifully-documented, incredibly-quickly delivered, sound fantastic, and remarkably cheap (considering). The only problem with ToneForDays is they're in Canada, and it took a few extra days to get through customs into the US. The idea you have is good, I really like SH-1s and always wanted to try a PG. Good starting point in a tone quest; you might be surprised to find what ends up doing the job for you. Start by emailing people. Geez, I'm really jealous of your Talledaga; those are really gorgeous. BTW, I'm currently running a Plummer in the neck and a Manlius in the bridge of my Hamer Archtop Studio (bought used via TGP and TDPRI). Way above the SH-1/JB originally in there, FOR ME, for what I want (old school R&R and blues) and the amps I use (Roland Cube 30 and Marshall JCM 800 combo[4210]) and MY touch, with the picks I use (finger, V-pick freakishly large and Screamer, Fender big and heavy). They're used and weren't built for me, like the ToneForDays and VintageVibes, so they're not as close to what I like, but they're good.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  4. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Thanks for the reply, I ended up ordering a set of PAF AB set from Sheptone Pickups. Hope they sound as good in my guitar as the website!