Help Me Pick Something!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Prerequisite, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Prerequisite

Prerequisite Member

This is probably almost the third time I've asked for help choosing an amp. But this time is different.. This time I have the money to pull the trigger on something.

I'm looking for an EL84 amp with a decent amount of headroom as I use a handful of pedals (7-10 of them on my board at all times). Preferably 15 watts or above, and under $1500.

Mostly play cleans and low-gain ODs and use delay 3/4 of the time. Built-in reverb or tremolo does not matter to me.

I like the Dr. Z Maz 18, but it's a tad too bright for my taste. If I can't really find anything better I'll go with that, but I would like to have some other options.. I want to be completely happy with something I'm going to spend more than a grand for.

Thanks ahead of time TGP!

EDIT: I STILL NEED ONE!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  2. bpdeem

bpdeem Member

They're just hitting the market so I have no idea what they're really like, but find a Two Rock EXO15 to try out. There's a cool demo from Matt Schofield at TRI studios and I'm sure by now there's a handful from NAMM. They run about $1k from what I've heard. Pretty sure its only a head. Its 6v6 but its worth a look. I don't remember all the specs but it seemed pretty sweet. Cheap as hell for a TR!

You could also try one of the Bogner Internationals. The Palmero can run 36 watts using el34's. I'm not really sure how much head room you'd have. The other ones all pretty much use 6v6. I've demoed the Brixton (high gain but got some good Mayer clean ish sounds out of it) and New Yorker (tweedish with more head room) and they were both super cool. They all run right around $1200-1500. Worth looking into.

3. Prerequisite

Prerequisite Member

EDIT: Still looking!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  4. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Dang! I was scrolling to the bottom of this thread to suggest a used Spitfire, given your price and performance criteria! What color combo is it? Let us know how you like it.

5. mattyjames

mattyjames Member

Actually, John Schofield is doing the demo.

6. Prerequisite

Prerequisite Member

It's elk beige with gold grille cloth. It's a 2007 but it looks brand new - the guy kept it in immaculate condition.

I'm thinking about putting it into a head cabinet from Matchless later on down the line to use it with a 2x12 cab.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  7. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Oh, cool! I saw that one in the Emporium. Looks tasty!

8. Prerequisite

Prerequisite Member

Ok, so the guy on Craigslist pulled a jerk move and sold it although he had accepted my offer. Didn't even tell me til afterwards..

So I still need one. Someone offered a Carr Hammerhead MKii head and cab, any info on this? Will this fit my needs? I don't know much about Carr Amps.

9. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

Fender Prosonics are worth looking into, clean channel takes pedals very well and dirt channel really shimmers (with gain low) with great dynamics in class A mode @ 30 watts, Great deal for $700 ish if you're ok w/ 6L6s.

10. playthecray

playthecray Supporting Member

11. Prerequisite

Prerequisite Member

MKIII or MKII?

12. playthecray

playthecray Supporting Member

I am using a Super 17 head. It is a simple and fantastic sounding amp that takes pedals beautifully.

13. Prerequisite

Prerequisite Member

14. Prerequisite

Prerequisite Member

Yeah that's what I meant. I have no problem with 15 watts, but having double the wattage for just $300 dollars more seems like a deal too good to pass up.

How is the headroom on the Bailey 15?

Also, what is the difference between the Keep and the Bailey?

15. Prerequisite

Prerequisite Member

I'm looking for something warmer anyway, so that would be a plus. Thanks for the help, 'preciate it!

16. Prerequisite

Prerequisite Member

How are Top Hat Club Royales?

17. cestjoel

cestjoel Member

I have a king Royale and it's awesome! The club Royale is just the top boost section of the king royal in 15 watts I believe. You could get both Vox and Marshall-y tones with it if you at like a boost and mix in a greenback type speaker in it.
    Just awesome amp! And build quality is top notch!

Joel

18. Prerequisite

Prerequisite Member

Thanks for all the help everyone.. I stopped by my local music store today just to pick up some strings when I stumbled upon a Vox AC15 Handwired with an Alnico Blue and Mahogany cab for a price I could not pass up. Pulled the trigger. It sounds amazing, the EF86 section especially! Pics up soon.