Help me price a '52 Martin 018 !

haslar

I am being proposed a trade for my '59 Les Paul Jr.
The guitar is a '52 Martin 018 without any issues - except a refin (top only).

Any idea how much such a Martin goes for these days?
Thanks !!

JamonGrande

it's been a while since I was selling acoustics (new, used, and vintage) so I could be off.

I would guess around $4000 if the Martin was in excellent shape, original finish all around, didn't need a neck reset, had sufficient saddle for action adjustment, and good neck relief (remember no truss rods). Maybe between $3000-3500 for a guitar with good refin, but again no significant issues a good luthier couldn't handle (sounds like the Martin you have been offered). I would then say below $3000, possibly under $2500 for a guitar that had neck issues (which including proper repair work, would bring the total above $3000 again) and finish issues, and/or body issues (patches, multiple repaired cracks, etc.). WHen you start to factor in repairs, I would think the total would be $3000+

Again, I've been out of the scene for 3 years now, but back then a similar guitar would probably be $500-$800 cheaper.

Two things to consider: the 0-18 isn't a real popular model, obviously a D-18 would command more money.

Second, considering your in France, I would think coming across a vintage Martin or LP Jr. would be harder than in the US.

Ultimately, if the Martin sings for you (0-18's have a very specific voice, and don't work well for all types of music) and you can let go of the Jr., I would say go for it.

maybe...

joe

buchla300

I'd say the LP JR is worth a fair bit more tbh (depending on condition)
On gbase.com you can get 018 martins from the 50's for between $2k and $4k

smiert spionam

Silver Supporting Member
No way.

A refin 0-18 is a $1500 guitar, tops. A top refin is the worst part -- because this is what runs the highest risk of being thinned.

A nice '59 Jr. is now going for $10k plus.

In exchange for a Jr., you could easily get a shade top 1930s 0-18, with room to spare. Or, a '50s/'60s 000-28 or D-28. Or... lots of things more valuable than an 0-18.

Stubee

If you can, call a USA store like Elderly and ask for an estimate on each.

We could argue the exact $ value of each, but I agree with the above: your '59 LP Jr. is far more valuable & desired than a '52 refinished O-18.

haslar

Wow !!
:BEER

Many, many thanks for your help guys !!
I think I'll keep my '59 Jr, then.

Here's a pic of it BTW:

Trending Topics