Help Me Replace My Line6 DL-4

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Tweeker, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Tweeker

Tweeker Supporting Member

I'd love to get rid of the big green monster (DL-4), but it's so damn versatile, especially with the expression pedal and presets.
    I use the "sweep" settting a lot - it's a very colorful modulated delay. I'd go for the DMM, but there's no tap tempo. Does anyone know if the Quicksilver or Memory Lane could get me in the same ballpark as the DL-4 "sweep" with their modulation controls?

2. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

What don't you like about the Line 6? That is, why do you want to replace it?

3. brent

brent Member

I have found the DL-4 pretty much impossible to replace for it's live versatility, it's an awesomely powerful delay, maybe the G-System? but at 5 times the cost

4. dave s

dave s Member

I hear what you are saying and share your pain. If the darn thing wasn't half the size of an aircraft carrier and take up 1/4 of the real estate on the pedal board ....

Guess it's just the way it is. Mine is staying.

dave

5. Tweeker

Dave S gives enough reason to dump it - the darn size! Besides that, there is a slight degradation of sound when engaged - subtle, but always annoying. Otherwise, I agree with Brent - there's no stomp box that offers as much power for live use.

Can anyone compare a Memory Lane or Quicksilver to the DL-4?

6. brent

brent Member

I went with 2 Digidelays at one point, they do sound better but tend to completely freak out if you have any gain in front of them. One trick I use with the DL-4 is to not run it in true bypass mode and adjust the amp to that.

The size doesn't bother me if I have it on a board, if I'm just throwing some pedals in a bag for a quick rehearsal or jam - I take the Digidelay and just deal with the freak-out noise instead of having the DL-4 and that honking transformer to deal with.

7. Tweeker

Brent,
    What's better about NOT running the DL-4 in true bypass?
    Yeah, I'm used to the size cause it stays on my board. I'd just love to use the space for more than this one ugly monster.

8. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

For versatility there's probably nothing to replace it with. Tone wise, that's another story. The Tape Echo's really jack with your tone. Usually I just use the digital echo with the high end attenuated a bit. This model effects your entire tone the least. Try saving a Digital Delay in one preset and the Tape Echo in the next. A/B between the two and listen to the tone difference. With the TE sound, the overall tone is very fake and darker. But the Digital retains a resemblance of your normal EQ.

Also, Keeley has started modding DL4s, haven’t heard one, but I'm interested...

The Echo Park doesn’t have the same tone problems, it uses parallel processing instead of totally processing your tone. The Echo Park is my favorite delay overall.

9. brent

brent Member

When it's not in true bypass the 'dry' signal of your guitar is the same whether the efect is on or off, this accomplishes 2 things: 1) you don't notice the digital processing of the dry guitar as much when yoiu aren't switching it in and out and 2) you can compensate for the change in dry sound to some degree with the amp as it remains the same with the efect in or out. The delays also trail off instead of cutting off abruptly which can be either great or really annoying depending on the musical moment.

10. brent

brent Member

I never really liked the Tape Echo models, especially the tube model. I use 3 presets, Analog for gainier tones, Analog with mod for cleaner tones and reverse for the shock value of it.

I'd like to hear the Keeley modded version next to mine before I fork out $100, but I am very interested.

11. ABKB

ABKB Member

I went with the Gigadelay after my Dl4 died. Almost as versitile as the Dl4 and smaller to boot. Tap tempo, more presets avaliable and clearer sounding. I have not had any trouble with running dirt in front of it. I usually use amp distortion, but have had no problems when I go with pedal dirt. I am pleased, and the Boss is cheaper to boot!

12. dave s

dave s Member

Plus the thing is "Hot Wheels" GREEN!!! :rolleyes:

Another excuse to take if off the board!

dave