Help me rewire my pedalboard

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mrface2112, Sep 24, 2008.

1. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

I'm on hiatus from my band for a month or so due to a newborn in the house, so I'm in the process of revamping my pedalboard during my time "off". I've bought a few new things and have been considering where everything should go.

I have my ideas (as well as how it's already arranged)........but I'd like some input on how you might arrange the following, listed below in no particular order:

Lovekraft Mojodrive (dirt)
    Lovekraft Chupacabra (dirt)
    Menatone KOTB (dirt)
    Boss CS-2 (compressor)
    Boss TU2
    Danelectro Fabtone (dirt)
    Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde (dirt)
    Visual Sound H20 (chorus and echo)
    80s Crybaby Wah
    EB Volume

optional:
    Boss SD-1
    Boss DS-1

Only stipulation: I would prefer to keep the EB Volume at the very end to use as a master volume.

(these are being powered by a strat/tele and going to a fender bandmaster)

Thoughts? Thanks! :dude

cheers,
    wade

2. Gumby

Gumby Member

I'd go: tuner -> wah -> dirt -> dirt -> comp -> dirt -> dirt -> dirt (set for clean boost) -> ch/ech -> vol

hopefully you know which dirts stack better for the pairing.

And of course you could go: dirt -> wah -> dirt

or: wah dirt(cl bst) dirt dirt comp

3. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

oh, absolutely, i've got some feelings/opinions on what cascades best into others. :dude

one of the thoughts i'd had was to move the TU2 to the end of the chain. Likewise, i've always had the wah at the end of the chain (just before the volume pedal), to wah the distorted signal. i guess moving it to the front of the chain would give me more of an ability to use it as a filter.

what would the benefits of using the compressor after distortion be, versus compressor prior?

cheers,
    wade

4. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

i would put either comp or wah first, which ever you prefer, then dirt lowest gain to highest gain, fuzz goes first, then volume, tuner in volumes tuner out then into mod and echo.

Jordan

5. mr. stanley

mr. stanley Member

You must have a huge pedalboard! I like Visual sounds' stuff but it always occupied too much space on board

I agree with Gumby:
    tuner -> wah -> dirt -> dirt -> comp -> dirt -> dirt -> dirt (set for clean boost) -> ch/ech -> vol

but it looks like you are wanting to use your TU-2 as a buffer

I usually stack my dirt from low gain to high gain and then fuzzes and then boost

How do you like the Chupacabra?

6. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

LOL! it's not that big! it's homebrew, made out of a couple poplar 1x6's that i spaced 4 inches apart. I think all told it's 24x14. Here's an old shot of it with knobs all akimbo (really, i don't use the H20 and J&H at these extreme settings! :worried).

[​IMG]

You're right--the Visual Sound stuff DOES take up a lot of room--but when you consider it's 2 effects in one case it's really no worse than 2 Boss pedals next to each other.

I used to go into the TU2 first, but was thinking about experimenting with it as the buffer at the end of the chain. Doing so seems to have made the dirt boxes a bit more lively, but i'm certainly not married to the idea.

i LOVE the Chupacabra. Took a little time fiddling with it to get the sounds of out it that i'm looking for--the trick seems to be to dial in less gain than i expected to. There are a TON of sounds in that pedal, and it's been hard settling on the ONE sound that i want to have it set on. I'd love to have 3 of em, all set differently.

in fact, i picked up the Mojo Drive solely b/c i liked the Chupacabra so much, and i expect the two of them should be a deadly combination together.

cheers,
    wade