• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Help me select a Phaser!

Bruce85

A T-Rex Tremonti Phaser has just popped up for sale (used).

Didn't know it existed. Has anyone used one? Is it any good?

Thanks.

MemorymanDL

The recently Bad Stone reissue is a solid phaser. I don't really know much about modulation, but it's on my board.

Malve87

My favourite phaser is the MXR Phase 90 script logo '74 reissue (the one I have has been modified by Analogman, so it's true bypass and it features a led, this way it has no volume drop at all)
Other than that, if you don't modify a Phase 90 that way, I can suggest you The EHX Small Stone Nano version, no volume drop and I remember it was really quiet as well.

wornoutjunkie

I have a nano small stone, it definitely doesn't drop as much as the old versions, sounds good with my guitar, I love it before dirt and for cleans for psychedelia color switch off. But if you want in your face phase 80's lead put it after dirt. Also it doesn't clip as much as the phase 90, if you ever played one and hit it with a loud signal, you may have noticed a weird saturation.

Bonus points because it sounds good with rhodes, wurli pianos and organs. Currently using it with a Hammond VST library into more pedals and tube amp, sounds massive.

nnajar

The new whirlwind phaser is basically a new production. Old script phase 90 but with an led and battery tap. For a new, simple, classic sounding phaser, that's the one to get. The mxr 74 script handwired thing is also the correct sound, but does not feature led or battery tap, just like the original.

The boss is excellent and very versatile and can come very close to the old mxr phase 90 sound... more so than the current production

Byknfool

Silver Supporting Member
Vfe enterprise is very good. I also currently have the source audio lunar. Takes some work but you can get good sounds out of it. Extremely versital if your willing to put in the effort.

Cosmo-D

Silver Supporting Member
Boss PH1r actually had a slight volume boost and sounds awesome. My favorite of all the ones I have tried. I have the Whirlwind Orange too but I prefer the Boss.

amdowell

Fat Dad
Silver Supporting Member
I strongly recommend the whirlwind orange box. My favorite of all time. I've owned several and that's, imo, what a phaser should sound like.

mici

You can find plenty of threads on the web where PH-3 volume drop issue was reported, especially in 4 stage mode. Some say that it was only a short part of whole production with that defect; Boss probably fixed that at some point. Anyways, according to your question:

Depends what do you really want to achieve. If you are into classic phaser tone, then you might consider Small Stone (especially the big chassis), Phase90 and Boss PH-1r (not that cheap...). All of them will get you more or less that vintage phasing. Be aware of volume boost in Phase90 - personally it was the very annoying feature for me since I play lots of cleans with amp set up just a 0,0001 inch before tubes start to break, so engaging Phase90 made my tone slightly distorted (weird thing, acted like a boost pedal).

If you want more experimental phasers you can try PH-3 - lots of tone shaping there - from vintage-a-like 4 stage phasing to weird synth sounds. It is not that digital and sterile as some say, so try it by yourself and let your ears decide. Another interesting choice is PH-2 - afair it provides 10 & 12 stages (all analog circuit) with very, very tight, melodic and distinct tone. I love it with lots of gain, then it sounds dirty as hell.

Last thing is placing phaser in your chain. I prefer to put it in front of dirt pedals&amp, some want it in the loop.

lifeinsong

Retro-Sonic Phaser...has Speed, Depth, AND Level controls. Runs much quieter than most and also has a wider range of speed than most Phase 90 type phasers. Love it!

SackvilleDan

Platinum Supporting Member
**I know neither of these are in your list of options but bear with me, OP**

Up until a few weeks ago, I probably would have said the Diamond Phase was my favorire, but I've had a Boss PH-1r on my board for the last little while, and it's tremendous. The Diamond is fantastic for vibe type tones as well as for being super wet and crazy, but the PH-1r is very musical in a set and forget it sort of way. I used to be really anal about getting the phase in time with the song, but the Boss just. works. It does have a bit of a volume boost, but in a live setting it certainly doesn't hurt.

cram

This is the first mention of volume drop being a thing with phasers. I use the dunlop and it is almost like a boost sound with what is done to frequency.

Scott_F

Tested out several a while back. Helix won especially with the Petrucci Alex Lifeson patch. Just perfect for me.

rkeaton

Silver Supporting Member
digging the Small Stone v4, has a slight drop but can be modded, like it after my wah and before my SD-1

Trending Topics

Top Bottom