Help me Set up my rack please

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by CaseyI, Dec 16, 2009.

1. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

Hi everyone, I am making the leap to a rack system for the first time ever. Mainly what I am needing to know is how large a rack I am going to need and what's the best way to mount things. I am estimating that I'll need a 4 or 6 space rack (the smaller the better).

So here's what this will entail:
    Line 6 M13 (how do I mount this and how many spaces? A rack shelf and velcro?)

Voodoo Labs GCX and some pedals (1U for the gcx, 1u for the rack shelf for the pedals? or are pedals typically too tall and need an extra space?)

I am sure I can figure this all out on my own but thought I could gleen from TGP'ers experience.

2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

3. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

4. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I would definitely give yourself some space above the shelf and make sure and use a pull-out shelf for easy access.
    I would personally go with an 8U for future growth (wireless/etc) and lay it out from the top down as follows:

1U Furman-Type Power Conditioner
    1U Blank
    3U Heavy Duty Sliding Shelf for M13 (a 2U shelf only gives you .5" clearance as the M13 is 3" tall)
    1U GCX
    2U Drawer for strings/mics/accessories (SO useful!!)

I would go with the shallower depth racks, as you won't need the 26" deep ones that are made for PA amps.
    You could go with a 6U if you don't care about the drawer.

Good luck!

5. Scrutinizer

Scrutinizer Member

I think you will find some friendly people here that are willing to help.

I use Penn/Elcom sliding shelves in my rig. Shelf-mounted pedals typically require 2 rack spaces, but can take more if you use a sliding shelf that consumes some of that vertical space (e.g. Middle Atlantic).

I can fit up to 8 pedals plus one PP2+ power supply on one of my Penn/Elcom shelves. I use a single rack space and a second shelf for my MacBook (removed during transport since I have not found a good way to secure the MacBook to the shelf). These are not locking shelves, so I have a piece of hard foam that I wedge between the rack front cover and the sliding shelf during transport.
    http://www.penn-elcom.com/Default.asp?GC=632&MC=1303030

Check the M13 dimensions to make sure that the rack shelf you purchase is big enough.

Remember that each pedal will require two patch cables to the GCX, so budget accordingly. The wiring between the GCX and pedals on the sliding shelf needs to be done in a way that allows the shelf to slide out far enough so you can adjust the pedal knobs. I use Techflex expandable sleeving to manage the large number of cables between my audio router/switcher (Switchblade GL) and the sliding shelf, and also for the cable snake between the rack and footcontroller.
    http://www.techflex.com/

In my experience, no matter how big a rack case I buy, it will eventually be filled up. I could easily fill up a 20 space rack with various processors and pedal shelves, but I decided to get an 8-space rack case to avoid having a rack that I cannot lift into my vehicle. Anything larger than 8 space will likely weigh too much for one person to lift. Also, the fact that I have no extra space in the rack minimizes GAS for more rack processors.

What will you be using for a footcontroller?

6. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it.

Scrutinizer: I will be controlling it with a rocktron All Access and 2 expression pedals. I think I have all of the cabling that I'll need as I have had large pedal boards. I checked out that link for the sliding shelves but they didn't have any pricing. I just like the functionality of midi, less tap dancing.

The only expanding I plan on doing in the future is to get a Damage Control Timeline, after that I would consider changing the whole thing up and getting an axe-fx.

7. tim boehlert

tim boehlert Member

Casey:

Check out my rack -

http://www.hearditontheweb.com/gear_results.php?photo=7

http://www.hearditontheweb.com/gear_results.php?photo=11

Notice it includes lots of choices - and uses the All Access Controller. I think I used a 10-space rack, and needed 2 spaces for pedals at some point. I also used Replifex, and Patchmate, and the Rocktron Power Station for all of the Rocktron gear. I used only one CC, but had occasion to use two. It's easy to program, you just have to remember which one does what! This rack allowed me to use FOUR preamps into ONE amplifier. i could use them individually OR combine them. Check out the wiring scheme as well - somewhat neat and orderly and I tried to color-code and separate signal from power routes as well. Lots of spaghetti in there though - add more for pedals to taste with the GCX solution!

Here if you need help...

8. Scrutinizer

Scrutinizer Member

The Penn shelf is $65 from Parts Express via Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Penn-Elcom-R1290-Sliding-Fixing-Points/dp/B0006MZMGY

9. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

Cool! I am not planning on using preamps per say. I plan on getting one or more of the Tech 21 character pedals and going direct. The other crazy idea that I had was to use the GCX to select outputs to different amps, mic them, then send that level back into the rack for delay/verb, then DI to FOH. I think I might run into impedence issues though.

The hardest part about all of this is when I have all of the pieces in my home, actually commiting to making it work the way that I want. I think I will continue to run my pedalboard for a month or two while I get things figured out and programmed.

10. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

Well, I ordered a GCX today and a six space rack. The M13 is on it's way already, all that is left is a couple rack shelves....and of course the hassle of programming it all. Lord help me.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  11. axelicker

axelicker Member

I know all of those pieces of gear well and live in Vancouver. Let me know if you need any help. I've wired and programmed many racks and solder like a pro. I accept payment in the form of cash, microbrews, weed, or your cute sister. (j/k on that last one, mostly).

12. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

Cool, I'm in the couve too, might have to take you up on that offer.