Help me - Single Coils not switching well...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ChasR, Jul 12, 2008.

1. ChasR

ChasR Member

Hi, I own a Voodoo Strat (MIM).
    When I switch into Bridge/Miiddle position, the tone change is extreme and sounds quiet, twangy, nasaly and weak. Rest of the other 4 positions sound just fine until I switch into this position.

Seperate note:
    The other weird thing is when I switch into this position my ears get the sensation that they are being plugged due to a pressure change or something like that. Weird...:messedup

I'm just looking for help with the pickups and not my ears for now....:rolleyes:

Lemme know what ya think..

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

if neck+middle sounds fine and middle+bridge sounds thin and weird, then your bridge pickup is out of polarity with the other 2. if it's a single coil, just reverse the attachment of its 2 wires.

3. ChasR

ChasR Member

Thanks WalterW. This makes sense to me. I had a feeling it was something to do with that. The bridge pup was not an original member of the set up. I introduced it to the configuration and wired it in myself.
    So do you mean reverse the wires that are connected directly to the bridge pup itself by exchanging thier connection points?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  4. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

Just take the "hot" wire that is soldered the 5 way switch and use it as your ground to the pot and take the ground wire that was soldered to the pot and use it for your hot wire to the switch.
    If your ground wire is too short just solder on some compatable wire to lengthen it and wrap with tape or better yet some shrink tube.

That will do it if it is indeed an issue of wind. If it actual magnet polarity you'll need another pup.
    Should be the wind direction though.

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

yup.

actually, that will fix the sound regardless of whether it's the wind or the magnets that are the problem. the only issue with the magnets is if it's another single coil and we're trying to get hum-canceling when both pickups are on.

6. ChasR

ChasR Member

GOOD STUFF Gentleman...I'll give this a go and get back with the results... yeah!