Help Me Solve a Debate I Have With Someone About Tubes

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by elixRx66, Oct 13, 2018.

1. CheckSix

CheckSix Gold Supporting Member

why? maybe we can help.

2. captwillard

captwillard Member

I don’t have a need for a photo sharing service. However my System consists of Bryston, Revel, Marantz reference, rega, avid, oppo, analysis plus, klotz, etc... I know what good audio sounds like.

3. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

That’s quite a leap - painful listening to Rock but great listening to a jazz vocalist? You really tune your systems
    To a specific EQ curve? IMO that’s a very specific methodology to achieve a listening environment.

4. CheckSix

Nice! Some well known brands there. Although, those are just company names, not individual products they make... so not helpful. I do not comprehend your stance on photo sharing.

5. captwillard

captwillard Member

I have no need for a photo sharing service. How is that hard to comprehend. Besides, somebody like you could just go to audiokarma, and steal somebody’s photos. I don’t really know what your system is either. However, my system is real and pretty close to being state of the art.

6. Comanche5

Comanche5 Member

Nothing to do with tuning by the user. In fact, true high-end gear usually does have EQ knobs at all. It comes down to the philosophy and engineering of the manufacturer. Go down to a true hi-fi store and listen to systems by Linn, Naim, McIntosh, Classe. You'll be shocked by the differences in sonic presentation.

7. captwillard

captwillard Member

I’m not sure what the status is with Classe. I think somebody bought them, but am not sure what their status is or if there is any new product out there. I suppose you can replace with Ayre.

8. CheckSix

My main 2 channel system... disclosed in public, Sept 25th 2018, post #231.
    Post Your Home Stereo Rig Here

I find your lack of forthcoming, very telling.

9. captwillard

captwillard Member

I don’t understand your point.

10. boyce89976

boyce89976 Supporting Member

I'm sure this has been said, but I'm 8 pages late, and too lazy to read all of that...

There are a couple of things you have to consider:
    1. A tube guitar amp is being used with a very narrow frequency band (something like 80hz to 7khz) vs. the full frequency spectrum used by recorded music.
    2. An audiophile tube power amp is a completely different animal than a guitar amp... much different circuitry.

I'm not a huge fan of vinyl, but two McIntosh tube mono blocks would be heaven with a proper source and speakers.

11. captwillard

captwillard Member

Well, keep your eyes open for a pair of MC230 amps.

boyce89976 likes this.
  12. captwillard

captwillard Member

oops...I meant mc30

boyce89976 likes this.
  13. Buck Private

Buck Private Member

Tube pre-amps can be great.Stereos must be built from the stylus out.A good front end will make a crap speaker sound better but the best speaker will not help garbage components.If your sister can find quality tube pre for a good price,hell yeah.Mac,Audio research stuff is excellent.Tell her that a good moving coil cartridge is where I'd recommend she start,then a pre/pre,pre,power,speakers.I'd stay away from equalizers and other add ons until I took care of the big stuff first.Don't forget that tube gear meant for guitars is an amp,pre,and eq all in one.Totally different design strategies from stereo gear.Your sister is on the right track.Just make sure the tube gear she selects is the good stuff.

14. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

My son and I visited a high-end audio/video store and A/B'd a new McIntosh solid-state vs. a tube pre. There was no comparison. The tube one had such a pleasing top-end especially.
    That being said, I own a $75 McIntosh SS garage sale special early 70's integrated pre/power amp that sounds pretty extraordinary...for the money lol.