Help me sort out my effects/loop situation.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JDaniels, Mar 21, 2015.

1. JDaniels

JDaniels Supporting Member

My first and foremost goal is to preserve that classic tone of a les Paul into a Marshall. I've always been a JCM800 (of similar) type but my recent endeavor into praise and worship music has caused me to need a little more versatility. Thanks to some recommendations from some of you I will be picking up a Dsl50 next week. This brings me to effects, I've never had an amp with an effects loop before. My current board is TU-2 > Guyatone ST-2 comp/sustain > Route 808 > DD-3. However getting into the P&W thing I will need a volume, tap tempo delay, reverb, and I'd like to get an EQ or two for the loop.

Now I got to thinking for roughly the same money to buy those new pedals I could probably get into a Boss GT10 multi unit. Now I would generally say that a simple boutique pedal board would be much better than a GT10, however I'm not going to buy boutique pedals. What I'm most worried about though is tone suck from the GT10 hooked up with 4cm (is that warranted?). What would be better a board with mediocre pedals (some out front and some in loop) or the GT10 in order to preserve my original tone?

I guess a third option would be a smaller multi unit like a zoom G3 w/ expression pedal out front and then another like a tc nova system in the loop. Like I said preservation of my original tone is most important, it doesn't matter which route I go. All I need is tuner, volume, OD, Comp/sustain, delay, reverb and EQ. Maybe in that case a mfx unit is overkill. Thanks for bearing with me, I'm curious as to your guys thoughts.

2. logdrum

logdrum Member

I know the Nova system is good in preserving the original tone from what my friend said. I do have the G-System which doesn't have an overdrive but you can add 4 other effects besides it and it can configure it to place one or more effects to go in front of the guitar input. I followed the advice of one G-System user in using DI to make sure I do not have tone suck from the loop.

Make sure you use high quality cables in the amps effects loop. For my amp which has a tube buffered loop, I use a quite 12AX7 - Mesa SPAX7 in the tube that services the loop.

The TC multi effects have control for how much DB the output and input of the loops are and really reduces noise.

3. bcmatt

bcmatt Member

Doesn't the DSL50 have built in reverb? If you put that to use, I think all you really need is a decent delay with tap tempo. I think going to multi-effects is overkill when then the money would be better spent on a decent delay.
    Last week I played for 2 services as well as the youth service right after the worship set in our second main service... so I had to have a whole other amp-pedal setup in the gym where the youth service was. So I borrowed an HD500 as a pedalboard for in there. It seemed to work ok, but I was basically using 4 of the 8 stomp switches as different delay settings. Most good delay pedals will have their own presets you can save, which is better than using up all the positions on an multifx unit IMO. I hated trying to program that thing at first too, but it did start to get easier, so I could see if someone wanted to switch to one... it just didn't seem easy to adjust during a set like a regular pedalboard...

4. JDaniels

JDaniels Supporting Member

Thanks for that reply. The more I think about it, if I don't go with the GT10 I'll probably just go with the nova system out front and nothing in the loop. I've used delay out front before and it sounds alright. I'd just have to get an expression pedal.

It's a toss up, both for sale locally for same price. Versatility and all-inclusivity of the GT10 Vs simplicity of the nova system. Which would effect my raw tone less?